A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: This little birdie landed on my messenger!!!! SEMI-TUTORIAL  (Read 2045 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

travelbug
« on: June 21, 2007 11:22:19 AM »

My aunt is super crafty and she taught me how to stencil/paint on fabric a couple of weeks ago. It's a fun and easy way to "create" your own fabric.

SEMI-TUTORIAL (instructions on how to make your own fabric!)

1)You will need an overhead transparency (or a piece of cardboard, but the transparency works better), paint, fabric medium, a round paint brush with short bristles, fabric, exacto knife
2)draw the image that you want on a piece of paper and then tape the overhead transparency on top. Using an exacto knife cut out the inside of the image (where you want the paint to go)
3)mix the fabric medium and the paint. The fabric medium is what prevents your paint from cracking after it dries. I can't remember what the exact proportion is, but it will tell you on the fabric medium bottle.
4)tape your new stencil onto the fabric. Dip your brush into the fabric medium/paint mixture and using an up and down dabbing motion, fill in the area that you'd like to be stencilled.
5)After you have finished filling in the areas, gently lift off your stencil.
6)Let it dry
7)The next day, you can heat set your stencilled area. I laid a piece of fabric on top of the painted area and then put my iron on top of it for about 25 seconds, and then moved onto the next section. Not in a brushing motion, more like a lift and hold motion.
Cool VOILA! You have a cool piece of fabric that you can make something out of.

***Stencilling is a great way to paint for people who have no clue how to paint. Seriously, the last time that I attempted to paint something was circa elementary school so if I can do it, anyone can Smiley***

Here is the messenger bag that I made out of my birdie stencil:

It's made from a black duck material and I lined it in baby blue so that it'd match the little birdie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ksew
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007 11:24:19 AM »

wow, that looks fantastic! do you have any idea how it would hold up to rain/ snow/ or even going through the wash? Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007 12:29:43 PM »

I get the impression you do this before you sew the bag, but I want to make sure, hehe. I love the bag, it's very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

travelbug
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 01:55:54 PM »

ksew: Because it's been heat set, it's definitely ok to get wet (aka running home through a rain storm!) not sure about the wash though. I've never put any purse (made or purchased) in the washing machine because I'm assuming that it might not have a good outcome Smiley

Mienna: Thanks! I cut out the flap of the bag first and then stencilled the design on. You don't have to cut it out beforehand, but I wanted to have a better idea of where the final painting would end up. The best part of stencililng is that you don't need a steady hand...I was surprised how easy it was!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneknitpony
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007 04:49:07 PM »

I've never heard of fabric medium before, I'll have to look for it the next time I'm at hobby lobby. Thank you for the tutorial:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
travelbug
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007 09:08:29 AM »

My aunt gave me a bottle, but when I went to the local craft store afterwards (Michaels) they were selling it, so I think it should be easy to find Smiley It's white in colour.

From what I understand, the fabric medium is what allows you to use pretty much any type of paint on the fabric, without it cracking later on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Photobomb
How to Get Pictures from Video
How to Get the Best Headshot
How to Take a Group Portrait
How to Take a Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...