A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,239
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Different type of crocheted tampon  (Read 76105 times)
Tags for this thread: tampon , crochet_challenge_5  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cherade9
« on: June 21, 2007 10:32:27 AM »

I made the prototype for this a few weeks ago after reading this thread about alternative menstrual products http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82588.0.

I wanted to address the possible problems with reusing a filling or stuffing of a crocheted outer tampon, so I had a think and this is what I came up with.

EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that the washing and care instructions I had previously were sub optimal. I suggest looking online for instructions on how people care for cloth diapers or cloth menstrual pads.

Here's the pattern I made. Please respect my copyright. I'm happy for anyone to make them for their personal use and/or amusement, but please don't make them to sell. I spent a long time working on the design.

Also I am not a medical professional. I make no guarantee that they won't kill you or make your genitalia unhappy with you. You use them at your own risk and I accept no responsibility for their (mis)use.

I used some Rowan 4 ply cotton I had on hand, but a much better yarn would be be an unbleached 4 ply Hemp. Some sources I know of are http://www.houseofhemp.co.uk/acatalog/Natural.html which is 100% hemp yarn and http://www.lanaknits.com/usahempton.html which is a 50% cotton 50% hemp mix. House of Hemp are based in the UK and Lanaknits are based in Canada but both sell worldwide.

Using hemp would make the tampons ultimately compostable and the hemp plant is very good for the ground it's grown in. The yarn when you buy it is often crisp and coarse feeling, but once washed it becomes much softer and more comfortable on the skin, which is fairly important for this pattern Smiley

If you'd prefer cotton or are having difficulty finding hemp, them please use an unbleached 4 ply cotton yarn. 

4 ply 3 mm hook

Ch 47

Turn and dc (US sc) into 2nd chain from hook through back of chain stitch

Make 26 dc (US sc)

* Turn and chain 1. Make 27 dc (US sc)

Repeat from * for 12 more rows (14 in total)

Make 26 dc (US sc)

In next st make 2 dc (US sc)

Continue making 6 more dc (US sc) down the side of the rectangle, 1 into each row. Turn and make 1 ch

Dec 1st and 2nd st of row, 4 dc (US sc), dec 7th and 8th st, 4 dc (US sc), dec 13th and 14th st. Turn and make 1 ch

Dec in 1st and 2nd st of row, 2 dc (US sc), dec in 5th, 6th and 7th st of row, 2 dc (US sc), dec in 10th and 11th st. Turn and make 1 ch

Dec in 1st and 2nd st or row, 3 dc (US sc), dec in 6th and 7th st. Turn and make 1 ch

Dec in 1st and 2nd st, 1 dc (US sc), dec in 4th and 5th st. Turn and make 1 ch

Dec in 1st, 2nd and 3rd st.

Turn and slip st 5 sts, 1 st per row. Turn and make 1 ch.

Dc (US sc) into each slip st, then continue dc (US sc)1 st per row, down to end of rectangle.

Slip st into the back of each st in the chain cord.

Cut yarn and carefully untie the slip knot at the bottom of the chain. Pull both yarn ends through both chain loops. Pull tightly and trim ends.

To use, tightly roll up the rectangle and tuck it's top end into the little 'hood'. Carefully push up in the bottom of the roll to make it easier for insertion.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007 12:09:07 PM by cherade9 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

chimerix
"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007 11:48:04 AM »

These are great!  I would love to have some, but I guess I will need to learn to crochet first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are the dreamers of the dream."  ~Willy Wonka

I LOVE Personal Swaps - PM me!

My wists:  http://www.wists.com/chimerix

I am collecting tabs off soda/beer cans, unusual/cool looking bottle caps, wine corks
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007 02:52:57 PM »

very interesting and innovative.  Have you ever heard of Diva cups/moon cups?  Those are what I use, and I love them.  www.divacup.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
cherade9
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 03:03:44 PM »

Yep. I'm getting a moon cup eventually. Theres always room for different solutions to this age old process though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007 03:18:31 PM »

That's a great idea!  Personally I don't use tampons (unless I absolutely have to), but I like that you've come up with a reusable product, as this is one aspect of why I don't use them regularly.  I may have to make some for emergencies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007 06:49:34 AM »

Great design! Thanks for sharing the pattern, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishhead
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007 06:56:55 AM »

I looked at that and just thought "Ow". they realy aren't uncomfortable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherade9
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007 09:26:40 AM »

Nope. The cotton is as soft as an obgyn tampon. There are few nerve endings deep inside your vagina which is why if the tampon is in the right place you're not supposed to be able to feel it. The tampons I've made feel a little more 'bumpy' going in but a little lube or water helps to make everything slide smoothly, just the same as obgyn tampons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elfie_elfie
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007 08:37:12 PM »

OK, I heard about this challenge on LiveJournal's craftgrrl community, and I registered here just to comment on THIS ENTRY.

I love it!  And there's something about menstruation that makes me belly-laugh -- especially at the mental image of "the boiling pot" on the stove!  It reminds me of so many bathroom stories growing up that must never be told to anyone outside the family.

Cherade, have you considered selling licences to people who would like to make these things to sell?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007 03:39:48 AM »

very interesting and innovative.  Have you ever heard of Diva cups/moon cups?  Those are what I use, and I love them.  www.divacup.com

what on earth are those?? are they like a little bottle that one empties after several hours? do you leave it there the whole time and just empty it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery Making: How Does Glaze Firing Work
Pottery Making: How Does Bisque Firing Work
Pottery Making: Useful Tools
Pottery Making: Learn Trimming
Pottery Making: Learn Wedging
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...