A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any freezable recipes?  (Read 1279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady4feet
« on: June 21, 2007 07:25:07 AM »

Hello all I'm looking for some good freezable recipes. I know technically anything can be frozen but some things just don't taste very good when you unfreeze them. I'm working a lot of evening shifts this semester and like to have some ready made dinner for me and my Hubby.

I know lasagna is a good freeze for later meal but I have no idea how to cook it.  Embarrassed

THIS ROCKS   Logged

poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007 10:36:19 AM »

I need some of these ideas too. Our son is due to "download" the end of Oct. and since my hubby can't cook I need to have things that we can just heat up.

For the lasagna thing. You don't really need a recipe, or you can find one online. Just sauce, cheese, and noodles. The cook time should be on the noodle box. Unless you want veggies than you'd have to find out how to precook them. What I do though, is make my lasagna in a bread pan covered in aluminum foil, with enough extra to cover the whole thing. That way it is enough for just the 2 of us w/ maybe a little leftover. You can then just let it cool and freeze it right in the pan, pop it out fold the top foil over to fully cover it and put it in your freezer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Daymoth
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007 11:28:42 AM »

here's one i always make double pans of to freeze one for later:

layered enchilada casserole

1 diced onion sauteed in small amount of oil
1lb. ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
1 16 oz. can refried beans
1c. water
1 pkg. chili seasoning mix
1 10oz. pkg. flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese- I use cheddar/jack mix
1 15 oz. can tomato or enchilada sauce

In large saucepan stir together meat, beans water and seasoning mix. Simmer 10 mins. spray 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Dip both sides of tortilla in sauce. Layer beef mixture and tortillas in baking dish, cutting tortillas as needed to fit. Sprinkle cheese over all. Bake covered at 350 degrees for about 30 mins. or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings

This is really a yummy recipe- the tortillas soak up all the flavors as it cooks and it comes out even better than it sounds. I like to add sour cream, green onions tomatoes and olives to mine after cooking! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daymoth
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 11:30:06 AM »

Also I found a recipe that uses cheese ravioli to make a simplified lasagna, I haven't tried it yet but if you're interested I'll post it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007 08:30:01 AM »

Cool thanks for the recipe daymoth. I'll put the ingredients on my shopping list. I'd also love the recipe for the cheese ravioli. Cheese = love Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mushter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007 02:18:29 PM »

I freeze chili all the time and it reheats perfectly.  I just make a big batch in a crockpot.  I'd give you a recipe but I use different ones all the time.  I'm sure any recipe would reheat fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weezawear.etsy.com: Baby, toddler, hippie style clothes and baby carriers designed and sewn by me.
Vicktoria
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007 04:34:04 PM »

Something I like doing too, is when something like ground beef is on special, I make meatloaf and freeze that right in the pan, then I just take it from the freezer to the oven, (without preheating the oven) and cook it as usual, it usually takes a little longer to cook, but it's easy.  I never use a recipe though, my meatloaf is rarely the same way twice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
egg_salady
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007 05:40:48 PM »

Stuffed peppers freeze really well and reheat nicely!  Here's a recipe I mentioned in another thread taken from Eating Well Serves Two and it's so darned tasty and not fiddly.  I doubled this recipe and froze the other 2 peppers after devouring the first 2. 

Smoky Stuffed Peppers

2 large bell peppers, tops cut off & seeded
1 link hot Italian turkey sausage (removed from that icky casing)
3/4 cup reduced-salt chicken broth
1 large chopped tomato
2/3 cup instant brown rice
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil (or you can use dried to your taste)
1/3 cup shredded smoked cheese (I used smoked Gouda)

Preheat the broiler.

Put peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Fill the dish with 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave approx. 7-10 min ('til they're tender but still a little crisp). Drain water and place peppers in a roasting pan.

Meanwhile, cook yer Italian sausage in a large pan over med-high heat, breaking it up like you're cooking hamburger for about 5 min or no longer pink.  Stir in broth, chopped tomato & rice. Bring to a simmer then cover and reduce heat to med-low...simmer until rice is done but still a little moist (about 10 min.).

Stir in basil and half the cheese into the rice mixture. Stuff those peppers!  Then top them with remaining cheese.  Broil until the cheese is nice and melted, 2 min. 

Enjoy!!!  I sure did! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007 04:13:03 PM »

My Hubby loves stuffed peppers, thanks for the recipe egg_salady.

Vicktoria I hear ya on the meatloaf mines never the same either  Smiley By making the meatloaf do you mean you mix it up then freeze it or completly bake it and everything then rebake it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LindsayLuu
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007 01:02:44 PM »

i like to make big pots of soup and then freeze it in serving size containers.  my favorites are chicken noodle and minestrone, but I use different recipes every time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Everything You Need to Know Before Getting Pastel Hair Color
Snooki BTS Hair Extensions at Vidov Salon NYC
How To Style Wet Hair Quickly
How To Create a Messy Up Do With Cesar Ramirez
Crown Braid Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...