A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not actually a project, but....  (Read 1255 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fluxity
« on: June 21, 2007 12:22:54 AM »

I have never knit a stitch in my life.... until today. I bought SnB book today, and then some metal knitting needles (19 cents a set!!!) and some yarn at the thrift store. (I've been so inspired by all the beautiful knitted things you Craftsters have been doing!)

After a couple hours of hand cramps and swearing like a sailor:

See that?!?! I cast on, and knit another row and a half, without accidentally strangling myself with the yarn! I've never been more proud.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistful Thinking
~-~
Procraftination  - a Blog about my Crafty Adventures!
Swap partners - No Peeking!
~-~
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
myklia
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007 04:00:25 AM »

Great job.  I wasn't able to learn how to cast on by looking at a book (though many people are able to, but I guess I am a bit more of a dunce), I had to take actual in person knitting lessons.  I did have to teach myself to bind off, which is really quite easy.  And purling is easy too (though I think sometimes I am the only one in the world that feels that way).  You should be very proud of yourself.  The initial frustration will be so worth it and soon (if not already) you will be addicted like the rest of us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007 04:47:55 AM »

*high fives*

Go Fluxity, you good thing!  Congratulations on teaching yourself.  I never learnt from a book because it never occurred to me (my mum's a knitter and taught me as a kid), so I think your achievement is extra special.  I'm not surprised you feel proud of yourself!

You'll be a pro in no time, and don't worry, the hand cramps do get better Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 05:27:32 AM »

Congrats!  That's a great book to learn from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007 05:38:06 AM »

Nice one, looks like you're making a great start.
What pattern are you making? Best of luck with the knitting, but watch out it gets addictive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krisnotes
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007 08:38:51 AM »

Yay! Wink Good work there. Congrats on your new skill. I learned from SnB, too. Can't wait to see more of your progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
jenny.bloodless
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007 08:44:14 AM »

Awesome! Man, I totally felt exactly the same about a month or so ago when I taught myself from a book on the way home from Disneyland. I think at one point I almost poked someone's eye out when I gave up and threw my needles! LOL But now I've successfully completed 5 projects and I can't put the needles down! Isn't it addicting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday, somewhere anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life. - Pablo Neruda
Queen of the Savages
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007 09:40:27 AM »

Wow, congratulations. You are so much further than I ever have been.

I hate to disappoint all the avid knitters here, but I have tried to addict myself and it's never worked.
I pick up the needles about twice a year to cast on and then get frustrated and quit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fluxity
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007 11:07:32 AM »

Thanks everyone! I do have a couple questions for you experts: do your stitches normally spiral on the needle like that?
And what I've knitted so far seems to vary in size, how long does it take to master the tension and make sure your stitches are even and regular?

Oh, and I'm not knitting a pattern, I'm just practicing going back and forth with a knit stitch  for a while to get the hang of it. I've crocheted before, and I really feel awkward with those needles in my hand, so I wanted to practice before I started on a project.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007 11:10:50 AM by Fluxity » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistful Thinking
~-~
Procraftination  - a Blog about my Crafty Adventures!
Swap partners - No Peeking!
~-~
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
RadioactvUnicorn
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007 06:50:06 PM »

That's an awesome start!!  You'll get the hang of it in no time, especially with the projects from that book to motivate you. Wink 

As far as the spiraling of the stitches, that usually happens when you just have a few rows that are pretty tight.  Once you have more rows it tends to straighten itself out, or if it's looser they can unspiral. It's no big deal, just frustrating to figure out which way is up at the beginning of the row.

Making stitches even and regular, well, I guess you just have to keep making stitches until you don't have to think anymore about trying to make them even and regular!  Not very helpful, I know, but give it a few more rows and it'll come easier.

I hope that helps. Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Fringe
How to Choose a New Hairstyle
How to Choose the Best Hairstyle
How to Make Your Own Shampoo
How to Make Your Hair Grow
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...