A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bouquet and Hankerchief charms  (Read 9687 times)
Tags for this thread: bouquet , photo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*MAR*
« on: June 20, 2007 11:35:50 PM »

My FI and I both wanted to commemorate certain family members that have passed, during our wedding, without being morbid and making everyone sad. So, we're adding a memorium page to our ceremony program, and I've created charms for us both. My father and my Grandfather have passed, and I wanted to have a remembrance of each of them. I got silver charms, found my favourite photos of them, shrunk them down, cut them to fit, glued them into the charms, and covered them with a protective layer of Diamond Glaze. I am going to hang these from my bridal bouquet. A subtle, yet meaningful remembrance for me. For my FI, I did a charm of his late Grandfather, then another of his other Grandma & his Papa, who just passed a few weeks ago. I am attaching these to the hankerchief he will wear in his pocket on our wedding day, then he can have his special people with him, too.

Here is a photo of our charms.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007 11:40:08 PM »

That is one of the most thoughtful things I have ever heard. I'm sorry for your guys' loss. It's sweet to have them there in memory for the wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007 11:49:22 PM »

Aw, thanks. It has been a rough couple of weeks for FI and alot harder for me than I expected. I am glad I got to know his Papa. He was a real dear. Losing him so close to the wedding has been tough on him. I know we both wanted him there so badly! We wanted to be mindful of the people we wished could be there, but without getting our respective families upset. This seemed like a quiet way to go about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 03:13:20 AM »

That's a really good idea.
My dad (and fiance's dad) passed away recently too, and I wanted some way to make it seem they're there with us, without being creepy. We were just going to put candles with their picture and a poem or something out, but I might steal this idea too, if that's okay.
I'm sorry about your loss(es) :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007 04:24:55 AM »

I'm sorry for your loss & thank you so much for sharing with us. Smiley

This is a beautiful idea.  I've been wanting to incorporate something similar, but haven't found frames/charms that I like.  Where did you get yours?

Our officiant is going to read this toward the beginning of our ceremony, too:
We now close our eyes and bring to mind any loved ones who could not be here today.  Though they are absent physically, we invoke, through our thought and prayers, their loving presence.  We pray that God might multiply beyond measure the blessings from these loved ones to this loving couple, and any children who might one day be a part of this union.  Now, from our hearts, we ourselves visualize and sanctify all the blessings we would bestow on Jean and Justin in their lives as a couple and a family.  And in our sincere desire to bless, we in turn, are blessed also.  Blessed Be.

We are Jean & Justin, obviously. Cheesy

I don't think it's too morbid, but I know it's going to make our parents bawl right off the bat because all of our grammys & grampas have passed over the last 10 years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
dopey_44
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007 05:27:57 AM »

this is cool i like it and i like when they are of family memebers way cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dopey44/

http://www.wists.com/dopey_44

love to spoil when i swap Smiley
i also LOVE popcorn mmmm Popcorn
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007 08:10:09 AM »

i'm so sorry for your loss.

i, too, was wondering where you got the "frames"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
*MAR*
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007 11:18:13 AM »

Thanks guys.
No problem, whoever wants to use this idea is welcome. I have gotten so many good ideas off Craftster, I try to give back if I have a decent idea here and there.

I got the pendants from Lisa Pavelka's website. But, I go back there now, and I don't see the same ones. I had a hard time finding the exact charm pendant that I wanted. Here is her website, and the page the bezels used to be listed on. http://www.coveredinclay.com/jewelry_findings.htm

I use her collage and waterslide transfer sheets and medium. I only see the linked collage bracelet that is close to the little pendants I bought a while ago.

If I find another place that carries them, I'll post it here. Artchix has a few that are similar. These are fairly perfect, and always out of stock because they are perfect:  http://www.artchixstudio.com/mall/ab909.asp

BTW, Jean, you have my beloved Grandma's name. She is my only living Grandparent, is 93 and will be at our wedding. She has helped me make candied pecans for our 77 guests, as the favours! I think it is really sweet that you will have that read at the beginning of your ceremony. Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007 11:29:30 AM »

Thank you so much for the info on Lisa Pavelka and Archix.  I'm going to those sites right after this post! Grin

It's weird to see someone address me as my name and not "Sweets."  It definitely got my attention!  Jean was my grandma who passed away before I was born (my dad's mom) & Gene is my dad's middle name.  It's not a name I run across very often.  I'm happy to hear of another and sucha sweetie. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dopey_44
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007 11:49:03 AM »

Ok im going to get off track here for a min. but if i may ask how do you do your canied pecans
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007 12:14:46 PM »

Ok im going to get off track here for a min. but if i may ask how do you do your canied pecans

Oh, no problem. My Grandma makes the BEST candied pecans and it was the logical answer for a favour that our family would really appreciate, because they all go kooky when she makes a batch.

Here's how ya do it:
We go to Blaine's Farm & Fleet and get the BIG bags of quality pecan halves. Don't skimp on the quality of the pecans, because one bitter pecan kills it for me!

This is close to my Grandma's recipe. She tends to eyeball things and not use proper measurements. But, I watch her with an eagle eye.

1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
6 tbsp. milk
1/2 to 3/4 c. pecans
1 tbsp. vanilla

Mix salt, sugar, cinnamon, milk and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Use a heavy skillet style pan. Cook to soft boil stage. Remove from heat; add vanilla and pecans. Stir until all are coated well and until coating crystallizes. Quickly pour onto waxed paper or parchment and separate with a fork. They will be a bit oily, so if you are going to use them as a favour in a cardstock favour box, make sure you put them in a plastic baggie or glassine bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007 12:16:09 PM »

Ooh...

Grandma Jean's recipe - it's gotta be good!  I feel like I just stumbled across a treasure. Grin

*takes notes*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007 12:19:33 PM »

You'll never get her "Refridgerator Cookie" recipe out of me though!
(Well, maybe, if you ask..... lol.)
She's a genius with the chocolate frosting too. And no matter WHAT I do with frosting, I can NEVER make it taste like hers. I watch her, I make it with her, NEVER tastes the same. That woman does some voodoo chant before she shows me, I swear. Nothing is better than a little bit of my Gram's leftover chocolate frosting in a graham cracker sandwich! Oh geez.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dopey_44
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007 12:23:11 PM »

THANKS A MILLION FOR THAT RECIPE I WILL GIVE IT A TRY I JUST LOVE THE ONES YOU BUY AT A FAIR
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007 12:27:04 PM »

That woman does some voodoo chant before she shows me, I swear.

Grin
too funny!!
reminds me of a friend who always says that her mother puts her foot in the food before serving it, and that's why no one can duplicate the taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
*MAR*
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007 01:03:36 PM »

Hilarious secret ingredient!

Here's the exact photo frames that I got. They came in a four-pack, and two were horizontal, two were vertical....

http://www.photojewelrymaking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=97
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007 01:08:51 PM »

Oh, PRAISE you!  I've been searching... photo pendants, bezels, charms, etc. everywhere!

I've decided I want them on my bouquet and dangling on a corner of our mom's hankies (photos that will make them cry conveniently attached to crying accessories Grin).  Are the backs flat?  I'm thinking of engraving them with their dates or something lovely because I know we'll keep them forever & ever.

...yes, I'm a little crazy over this idea.  Sorry. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007 01:19:59 PM »

Don't be sorry, I love that you dig the idea! I just checked mine, the backs have a tiny bit of texture, which might mean they aren't conduscive to engraving. You could go with a tiny round charm to add to the frame charm, giving it a more "chatelaine" type look, and have the small round one engraved. I have also seen this cool thing where someone did a photo frame, one with the loop at the top and bottom, then sewed that onto an embroidered piece of satin. I will try and find that link. I saw it on a PBS show, and tracked down the directions link. I knew I wouldn't use it as they showed it, but with a bit of modification, the directions would suit my needs. I'll look for it. It may not suit your needs either, but it is just a cool idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007 01:35:26 PM »

That is the sweetest idea.  Grin

Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishhead
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007 01:36:10 PM »

Not to get too off topic, but I thought that people who liked this might also like this:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=172062.0

I've thought about makeing one for xmas, to hang on the inside of the door, with passed family members, so they can join us for hollidays- we're big christmas fanatics in my family, and its a nice way to combine my FIs family and mine into one, craftey, tradition.

Wouldnt one look cute on the churchdoor, in your wedding colors? It dosnt look too hard to make...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisy525
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007 04:49:45 PM »

Sweets-  I love what is being read at the beginning of your ceremony.  Where did you find that?  My mom died a little over a year ago and I'm getting married next May.  I miss her like crazy and wish she was here to help with wedding planning.  I would love to have something like that said at the beginning of our wedding, but I don't think I could handle it as I started crying just reading it.  So, so beautiful.

Mar-the charms are really lovely.  I definately think this is something that I will try to do for our wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't let your heart be broken by this world.
                                                -Dan Bern
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007 04:57:32 PM »

Sweets-  I love what is being read at the beginning of your ceremony.  Where did you find that?  My mom died a little over a year ago and I'm getting married next May.  I miss her like crazy and wish she was here to help with wedding planning.  I would love to have something like that said at the beginning of our wedding, but I don't think I could handle it as I started crying just reading it.  So, so beautiful.

Aw...that is sweet!  It was part of a wedding package I got from an officiant here.  I signed up on their website requesting pricing information and it spit out an auto-generated "personalized wedding package" to my e-mail instantly. Cheesy

There are all sorts of readings, poems, ceremony configurations, etc., included.  If anyone is interested, I'd be more than happy to forward it via e-mail (it's quite long and in a Word document).  PM me your e-mail if you're interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007 12:15:28 AM »

All right, after spending the day with my Grandma, I realize one thing. I need to be more specific when asking for recipes. I have been making her recipe for "candied pecans" all these years, hoping they will turn out like hers. When, what I should have been asking her for was her recipe for "SWEDISH pecans". Good grief, I have been making one recipe and hoping it will magically morph into another.

Now, the candied pecans are good. Mind you. But, the SWEDISH pecans are un-friggin-believable. And these are the ones she did for our wedding favours.

I have pried this recipe from her hands, witnessed her cooking said recipe, and can confirm, THIS, ladies, is the real deal............

Swedish Nuts - by Marcy Bennett, by way of Jean Schell

3 1/2 to 4 cups of pecan halves
1 cup sugar
dash of salt
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1/2 cup butter

Toast nuts until light brown 325 degrees (put them on a sided cookie sheet)
Fold sugar, salt into egg whites, beat until stiff peaks form
Fold nuts into meringue
Melt butter onto another empty cookie sheet (sided cookie sheet) and spread nut mixture over butter.
Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes
Stir every 10 minutes.
No butter should remain

You nuts should turn out with a light coating of egg whites, all crystalized and delicious.

Go, now, try this.
You will hate me for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007 07:03:21 PM »

That's a lovely idea.  It is so important to me to include my late grandmother in the ceremony somehow, but I didn't want to be morbid either.  I'm going to wear some of her antique jewelry (in my hair b/c the woman was tiny and no necklaces or rings fit me), but I might make a pendant for either the bouquet or to pin to the inside of my dress, so she's with me.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007 07:07:34 PM »

My charms have been shipped...woot! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007 07:56:32 PM »

My charms have been shipped...woot! Smiley

Yeah! Can't wait to see yours!
I'm going to do a trial run with the bouquet wrapping this week, and see how I want to hang them from the satin wrap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anna D.
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007 08:34:30 PM »

My FI and I both wanted to commemorate certain family members that have passed, during our wedding, without being morbid and making everyone sad. So, we're adding a memorium page to our ceremony program, and I've created charms for us both. My father and my Grandfather have passed, and I wanted to have a remembrance of each of them. I got silver charms, found my favourite photos of them, shrunk them down, cut them to fit, glued them into the charms, and covered them with a protective layer of Diamond Glaze. I am going to hang these from my bridal bouquet. A subtle, yet meaningful remembrance for me. For my FI, I did a charm of his late Grandfather, then another of his other Grandma & his Papa, who just passed a few weeks ago. I am attaching these to the hankerchief he will wear in his pocket on our wedding day, then he can have his special people with him, too.

Here is a photo of our charms.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/BrettAnderson/bouquetandhankiecharmsoflovedones.jpg

This is such a beautiful idea!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007 08:55:37 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Please remove [IMG] tags when quoting - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007 01:22:08 PM »

This idea is beautiful, I love it so much!
My father passed away when I was younger and at my wedding I'd like to wear a locket with his picture so he can "walk" me down the aisle.
This project is great and gave me goosebumps Smiley

I am sorry for your losses as well Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
*MAR*
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007 10:59:07 PM »

charms, hanging:

oh how sad for my wedding flowers to die!
we did all our own flowers, bouquets, bouts, and arrangements:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007 06:34:18 AM »

Aw..how sad!

They look very pretty hanging, though.  The ribbon you used is very lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodtimegirl
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007 10:15:36 AM »

That's such an excellent idea!! I'm getting married in four months, and both my fiance and I have lost very important people in our lives in the past several years. We were trying to find ways to include their memories into our ceremonies, and this is such a wonderful idea.

Thank you so much for sharing!!

I think I will save this as a surprise for my fiance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007 11:30:03 AM »

Aw..how sad!

They look very pretty hanging, though.  The ribbon you used is very lovely.

I ripped all the bouquets and centerpieces apart, chucked the detritus and have about 4 or 5 big arrangements around the house. I hated to see the hydrangeas die!

Hey Sweets, did you get your charms done yet? I can't wait to see them. I love that ribbon I found too, with the stripes of varying shades of green. It is absolutely perfect for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007 03:30:00 PM »

I'm working on our personal wedding photo album, and going through the photos I realized I didn't ever post any decent shots of our bouquets with the charms on them. Here's a shot of the charms in action. Also, a shot of the bouquet. My sister and I chose each flower ourselves, and my Mom and I made the bouqets the day of the wedding.

Here is my husband's charms. I attached them to his bout', the bout' was fairly crumpled and sagging from hugging and heat at this point. Poor little hydrangea!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007 05:36:37 PM »

Ooooh so pretty!  I love these shots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thekster
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007 06:08:54 PM »

Dang! I attached my charms the other day but I like the way you did yours way better. I wrapped a piece of blue material, sewn into a wide ribbon, around as the base and then put a less wide pink ribbon and tiny white ribbon around that so that the blue showed through. I left the pink and white ones long because my sister said she liked 'em like that, and then I tied 3 charms onto the white one. I like them like that, but I also kinda feel like it doesn't look that great. Once I get the dress made, I'll hold the bouquet up and see if I still like it and if I don't, I'm totally doing it like yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

carrieme
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007 06:10:42 PM »

I love the photo charms, that is such a beautiful thing to have with you!  Where did you come up with that idea?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop   http://www.carrieme.etsy.com
Wist:  http://www.wists.com/verycarrie
Visit my blog http://sewverycarrie.blogspot.com
pm me if you want to swap!
SeaSun
The Red SeaSun

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007 10:42:39 AM »

my sister wants to do that for her wedding ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafts--> http://seasundaytoday.blogspot.com/
Creative Cakes by EMMA ---> http://ccbyemma.blogspot.com/
\(_o)/
*MAR*
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007 10:50:54 AM »

I love the photo charms, that is such a beautiful thing to have with you!  Where did you come up with that idea?  

I make a lot of photo charms for jewelry I sell, to personalize it. I was trying to think of a way to honour my late Father and Grandfather, and this seemed like the least obtrusive way of doing it. And I like ribbons and charms and wanted to include as much meaning in my wedding as possible. So, this worked out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007 10:53:44 AM »

Thanks Sweets. Seems like I am coming across some different shots now that I am doing our wedding album. I already did one for my Mom and Grandmother, but that was of their favourite shots. So, I'm re-exploring the pictures!

Kster, I want to see a photo of how you did that. My main concern with hanging them was that they would hang nicely over my hand as I carried the bouquet and that I could remove them easily later. But, you're doing silks, right? So, you don't have to worry about that last part.

Dang! I attached my charms the other day but I like the way you did yours way better. I wrapped a piece of blue material, sewn into a wide ribbon, around as the base and then put a less wide pink ribbon and tiny white ribbon around that so that the blue showed through. I left the pink and white ones long because my sister said she liked 'em like that, and then I tied 3 charms onto the white one. I like them like that, but I also kinda feel like it doesn't look that great. Once I get the dress made, I'll hold the bouquet up and see if I still like it and if I don't, I'm totally doing it like yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007 02:57:56 PM »

I am indeed doing silks. I just really like how yours are right there on your hand and there's no way people won't see them. I tried to take action pictures but it's hard to do by yourself, without finding someplace even to take timed shots. Once I find my camera and someone to help take pics, I'll post some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007 03:00:58 PM »

Mine hung down below my hands, but I was more about me knowing they were there than other people knowing about them.  Surprisingly, a bunch of people saw them and said something about them though.  Some people came up to me afterwards and wanted to know who everyone was (I had quite a few on mine...), so I got to introduce all my grandparents to everyone.  That was cool, but resulted in people crying. Cheesy Huh Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

islandfly
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007 06:10:33 AM »

I've just read through all of the comments.. i love the photo charms!
What a great idea...I've been trying to come up with an idea for special gifts for my parents, and my FI lost his grandmother and a close uncle on the same day this year!

I'm pretty new to craftsters, and haven't tried anything so adventurous as yet, but I think this will be a good idea also for out of town family who won't be able to make it for the wedding.. to have them there with us too
THIS ROCKS   Logged
izzyasylum
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012 02:00:26 PM »

My poppy passed away back in '07 so I will be doing this with a picture of him when he was younger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put a Head Over a Title in Photoshop
How to Use the Flame Elements for Photoshop
How to Customize Football Cutouts template
How to Resize a Page in Photoshop
How to Add Texture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...