A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dense Stitch Patterns?  (Read 745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ImaginationsEnd
« on: June 20, 2007 01:38:35 PM »

I don't know how else to phrase it. I'm looking to knit a bag where the likelihood of things slipping through the stitches is minimal.

I'm lazy, so I don't want to have to line it (if at all possible), and I really dislike felting things.

What is the densest, most solid stitch pattern you guys can think of? I'm thinking I might knit the yarn on needles smaller than recommended for it, so that might help. But a solid stitch pattern would be a great find, too.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
ebullientemily
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007 04:09:54 PM »

Crochet it! Crocheting isn't very stretchy at all, and if you pick a small enough stitch (without holes or lace or anything) you'll be able to keep pennies and all the strange little things that end up at the bottom of purses from falling out.

Though I realize you're looking for a knit pattern--sorry about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007 04:22:50 PM »

Double knitting is the first thing that comes to mind...since you're actually knitting 2 layers of fabric at the same time.  This scarf pattern seems to explain it pretty well although I've never tried it.  You could also do a Fair Isle checker pattern and the yarn that's carried on the WS of the fabric would help stabilize the fabric too.  Seed stitch is relatively non-stretchy but I don't know if it would hold up to the wear-and-tear that a bag would get.  And a lot really depends on the yarn itself -- what are you planning on using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
elijor
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007 04:28:03 PM »

Woven Transverse Herringbone Stitch with a picture here on this Herringbone sweater. I also think it may be the same as the Knit 2 Together Doctors bag shown in this knitalong.

Mosic Garter Stitch or Linen Stitch.

Of course using a smaller than normal needle will also help make the stitches denser.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007 04:29:26 PM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007 09:04:21 PM »

I vote for the smaller needles. I made a bag for my sweetie's sister for Christmas because I couldn't find the right sort of velvet bag to go with her RenFair pirate costume. I used LB's Chenille thick and quick on size 8s and it was really tight. I'm very glad it wasn't a large bag.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007 06:25:15 AM »

All the craftsters have given good suggestions.  My only suggestion would be to use the heel stitches from a sock....

Row 1: slip 1, knit across the row.
Row 2:  Slip 1 and purl across the row. 

This gives a thicker piece of knitting.  Doing it on a smaller set of needles would also help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007 09:05:37 AM »

If you use cables, it tends to bunch the fabric up quite a bit, and they work as decoration too!

Here's a few free patterns, to give you some ideas:  http://www.girlfromauntie.com/patterns/celtic/

I do think your best bet is to felt it, though.  With any knitted fabric, things are probably going to poke through at least some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
redwitch
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007 05:02:41 AM »

Smaller needles would be my first thought... and felting! It doesn't have to be felted thoroughly: a slight felting would make it shrink a bit and be denser.
Also, the lining might not be as much work as you think, and really pretty! Just make a pouch SLIGHTLY smaller than the bag: this is as easy as folding a rectangle in half and sewing two sides together. Then put it inside and sew the edges/hem/border of the knitted bag to the edge of the fabric pouch for inside (fold the raw edges of the fabric  inside/between the knitting and fabric - to get a prettier edge). Seriously... if you are willing to spend hours knitting the bag, why not consider spending 30 minutes (less with a sewing machine) making a cool lining: you could choose the coolest fabric print for inside!

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007 09:21:33 AM »

Also consider carefully your fiber.  Choosing a fiber that is inherently non-elastic might help.  I don't know the best suggestion for this though.  Cotton has certain problems, but in my experience does provide a good, stable fabric, especially if knitted on needles smaller than recommended.  If it gets wet, however, you could run into some problems.  Perhaps using a cotton blended with a synthetic to help the cotton keep it's shape when or if it gets wet would solve this, but again, perhaps not.  Wool has natural elasticity and could stretch out with use.

I'm not sure using a stitch like fair isle would be good for an unlined bag, although it would provide the stability.  But there would be a LOT more things to get caught on inside the bag.  I would think that would be more trouble that it's worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Homemade Pumpkin Vase
How to Make Bunting for a Hen Party
Holiday DIY: Colorful Ornament Garland
How to Create a Modern Holiday Chandelier
Colorful Leaf Wreaths with Amy Sedaris
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...