A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Faux Solder Pendants  (Read 3102 times)
Tags for this thread: pendant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graciejomama
My girl was grown in my heart, not my tummy!

I am Gracie's Mama!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007 03:01:20 PM »

Where do you get your glass slides?  I LOVE these and I have tons of images I can use....did you just put the jump ring through the sculpey?  Sorry I am so airheaded!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, A.
McJulie-O
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007 06:15:09 PM »

Wow! Great job! They look terrific!

I wondered, too, about the jump ring....is sculpey strong enough to hold a jump ring despite torques and twists?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinaX
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007 06:13:06 AM »

Once again, you guys rock, thanks for all the great comments.

I have issues with sculpey too, it likes to stick to every inch of my hands and I have heard you could used vaseline to keep it from sticking, but I couldn't get past the texture.  So, needless to say, i run around with rainbow hands alot!  LOL. 

I have things that I use for the jumprings that seem to work out just fine and I have put them through the test.  Sculpey is more durable that I thought it would be.  I even dropped one of the pendants on my tile floor as a test and it didn't do anything to it.  I have these little copper disks, that are flat and they have a loop for a jumping.  They can be used to glue to stones, etc.  Kinda like a bail.  Those work if you embed them into the clay and put some more clay over it.   Also, if I use the regular jumprings, i put the part that is open at the bottom in the clay so that it doesn't open up later when i have it hanging from my neck.  Another thing I have done is make my own sorta like bail from leftover pieces of wire.  I take a piece of wire about 1 inch long, then bend it in half so it looks like a long U, then I bend each side up, leaving part of the loop at the top.  That works very well since it really sticks in the clay and spreads the weight of the pendant across the top.  I still put the extra clay on, but out of all of the techniques I have used, the homemade trick seems to work just fine.  I hope this helps!!  I mean, you aren't going to be able to pull a car with the sculpey, but it will hold up for jewelry.  Just make sure you bake it all the way.  It also helps to make sure you condition the clay really well or else it can get brittle.

I'm sorry if I rambled, I just wanted to make sure you guys had all the info and I don't mind sharing one bit  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinaX
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007 06:19:34 AM »

Oh, the glass slides!!  I almost forgot about that answer!!  Go to your local craft store, like Michaels or AC moore.  Wander over to the scrapbooking section, maybe around the inks and embossing powders.  They may have what is called Memory Glass.  They are little boxes of slides.  Also, sometimes indie craft stores have whole boxed of microscope slides.  My local crafty store in Raleigh, NC that i like, and where I got them, is at www.Ornamentia.com  I got a whole box of 72 for 8 dollars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007 07:59:59 AM »

As far as microscope slides go, if you live near a medical center or medical school, you ought to be able to buy microscope slides in their student bookstore.....it's a school supply for some classes.

Otherwise, you might be able to talk your family doctor ('s nurse or office manager) into ordering an extra box when they order supplies, and selling you the spare. (Be sure to specify that you want clear and not frosted). You can also order online:
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=8747&cartLogFrom=Search%20%2D%20Category%20Filter
and I have a few other places but am having trouble finding their URLs just now.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrystalinNC
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007 09:03:46 AM »

This is such a cool idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007 05:33:31 PM »

I love this. I can't solder and this is such a great idea because I use microscope pendants in assemblages.
If you look up medical supplies stores in your local phone book they will usually have slides. And the medical/nursing school store is a good idea, too.
One question- what do you mean by
5.  I wrap them in a pillow of aluminun (I can't spell that word at all)foil so that they don't burn.  About halfway through though, I check them to make sure they aren't burning.   
...what is a "pillow of aluminum?  Huh Huh Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
sweetybeads
www.pandahallca.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007 08:00:44 PM »

i like the last one ,it seems that this kind of pendant is so popular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pandahallca.com/beads/
-beads online store, we supply beads, findings, tools for your creativity.
Welcome to our Ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.ca/Chinabeadsandfindings
here there are many distinctive auction everyday~!
christinaX
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007 05:15:02 AM »

LOL, sorry, I should have been more clear.  Sometimes it takes my fingers a minute to catch up to my brain when I'm typing.  I take a piece of foil, and fold it in half to leave a crease, open it up, then put the items that I'm going to bake in the foil, then fold the other top half over the items.  Then I fold over the edges to seal it a bit.  It kinda looks like a pillow to me once I'm done.  It's almost like cooking veggies on the grill, LOL!!  I hope this helped a bit.

As for the slides, good ideas on medical suppliers and your local Doc.  I never thought about that because it's easy for me to obtain them from my local store.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlBrett
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007 06:26:52 AM »

Oh super cute!
That was a great idea, I may have to steal that for a swap Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Beef Stroganoff
Shrimp Dip
Lemon Meringue Pie on fixmyrecipe.com
Tangy, Zesty, & Spicy Grilled Shrimp on fixmyrecipe.com
Chicken Salad with Golden Currants on fixmyrecipe.com
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...