A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Goat Hoof Mojo Necklace  (Read 2491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dirty Mary Rackham
Dirty Mary Rackham

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2007 08:30:14 PM »

Wow, two posts today...I assure you, I am not typically so motivated.

I just finished this necklace about five minutes ago, and I am not so sure I like it.  I love working with animal feet, and I had all these goat hooves hanging around in a tin on my desk, so...I figured it would do until I receive my next shipment of chicken and alligator feet.

Focal is a goat hoof (humanely harvested in Indonesia - the village that these hooves came from farm goats for their wool, and also eat the meat they provide, and they sell the skins, hooves, and horns to a fair trade organization, which is where I got them!).  Surrounding the hoof are some cheezy plastic "hematite" beads, and the green bits are dyed bone.  I am not sure what kind of bone the green beads are, because I got them at a garage sale in the form of an old, hideous necklace, but I am guessing they are either camel or cow, because almost all bone beads you will ever see are camel or cow bone.  The necklace is finished with a sterling silver chain and a sterling plated lobster clasp.

Please let me know what you think - should I continue with the goat hoof pendants?

Thank you for looking, and I am sorry for the inundation of posts by me today...I just get so excited, you know?

-Dirty Mary
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011 06:19:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adalia
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 08:45:18 PM »

Well...I am glad to hear that you did not get them from a goat that was primarily used for its hoof or what not. I can not imagine wearing a foot around my neck (personally.....since I'm a vegetarian) I think it looks great though...although I could not tell it was a hoof by just looking at it in the picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
windchimeman

I can imprint on beads. www.windchime.etsy.com

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007 03:10:19 AM »

The following is a picture of my Road Kill with coyote claws.  why do you call yours a mojo?Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007 05:32:54 AM »

Muy Macho!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
summer_lover
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007 09:17:02 AM »

hang on.................chicken and alligator feet as jewellery??!?!?!?! what's that all about :S would they not go rotten?HuhHuh  Cheesy that has got to be the weirdest thing i've ever heard of hahaha!!

sl Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VISIT www.myspace.com/morsbags OR www.morsbags.com for more information on helping rid the world of plastic shopping bags - make your own environmentally friendly bag!
Dirty Mary Rackham
Dirty Mary Rackham

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007 10:43:59 AM »

Thanks everybody!

Adalia - I never use animal parts that were harvested from animals that are killed for those parts.  A lot of what I use is actually from roadkill, believe it or not.  I'm a vegetarian, too, by the way!

Windchimeman - I like the roadkill bracelet.  Coyote dew claws are some of my favorites to work with.  I like that yours actually says "Road Kill" right on it.  Also, a mojo is technically a small bag used in vodou and hoodoo religion that contains magical charms, herbs, stones and such.  Something that contains a lot of positive magical or spiritual power is referred to as "having good mojo," and animal feet (specifically alligator and chicken) are among the most common charms.  Unfortunately, though, I do not think the goat has much of a place in vodou.

Summer_lover - Yes, chicken and alligator feet.  But don't worry, they are taxidermied, so they don't rot or decompose.  Like I said above, chicken and alligator feet are good mojo, and are considered to bring luck to those who carry them.  Next time I get a shipment of feet in, I will post pictures of the jewelry that I make from them!

Again, thanks everybody!
-Dirty Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
summer_lover
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007 11:18:43 AM »

hmm i thought that was just rabbit feet, not all animal feet :S do you sell these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VISIT www.myspace.com/morsbags OR www.morsbags.com for more information on helping rid the world of plastic shopping bags - make your own environmentally friendly bag!
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007 12:08:13 PM »

Dirty Mary, I think the goat foot makes an excellent focal point -- it's a very interesting shape and I'm betting the texture is really interesting.

This particular necklace seems a little unbalanced, though. I might lean toward fewer other beads to *really* focus on that hoof. Or possibly mix in some lighter, natural colors like the greens in the dyed bone or lighter browns. That's my instinctive reaction anyway.

And speaking of feet... I have a Scottish grouse foot brooch which I found at a resale shop for about $8, believe it or not, which I absolutely love, AND a small gator foot as well. I used to keep both of them in my car to protect my travels. Footses are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dirty Mary Rackham
Dirty Mary Rackham

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007 08:18:22 AM »

Summer_lover - Yes, rabbit feet are a widespread symbol of good luck, but strictly in the vodou (vodun, voodoo) religion, chicken and alligator feet are good luck (good mojo) as well.  And yes, I do sell all of my jewelry, but I am currently without website, so if you would like to talk to me about purchasing something, you can PM me.  Thank you so much for your interest!

Dorion - I agree that it is unbalanced.  I was thinking maybe larger beads surrounding?  I think the lighter colors would really help, too.  I have a bunch of hooves, so I'll try your suggestions next, thank you!  Oh, and that grouse foot sounds amazing!  What a great find!  My favorite foot that I ever had was a raven foot.  I gave it to my brother a few years ago, though.  Thank you for your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultimate_sacrifice
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007 09:14:06 PM »

That's a goats hoof?! It's really pretty. When people would comment on it, I would always have to tell them it was a goat hoof! It's so unique! I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Skin Laundry" Offers Glow On The Go
Beyonce Makeover After
Favorite Celeb Body Parts
Beyonce Makeover Before
Overheard Backstage: The Best Beauty Tips From NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...