A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keeping Cool?? (Dogs)  (Read 1200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smithyboy
Princess

Kitty-Pookums

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2007 07:28:46 PM »

I have a beautiful english bulldog, Princess, and she gets pretty hot in the summer.  She has a lot of extra skin so she has a lot of extra warmth too.  Any idea how to keep her cool? i've seen dog toys that you fill with water so when they chew on it it cools them but they are too expensive for me Undecided she does wear a collar all the time so maybe something that ways? i need ideas or she might melt!! (jk) Wink she doesn't mind wearing clothes either: here is a pic of her so you can see her extra neck fur and how cute she is!
 i mean, how big she is... Roll Eyes

thanks in advance,
SmithyBoy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recycle Reduce Reuse Repair Rethink Retool Reinvent Resist React Respect Revere Reflect Refill Reclaim Recharge Rekindle Reform Refresh Renew Reconstruct
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 07:30:33 PM »

Aw, she's so cute! I'll be looking for some ideas too, because my dog gets really hot easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007 07:44:14 PM »

I don't know about your pooch, but the seeing eye puppies I used to raised loved ice cubes. Loved. You could buy them the most thrilling toys available, but nothing beat the sheer joy of chasing ice cubes.

They also loved their "puppy pops"- frozen Popsicles we made with dog food and treats. I don't remember the recipe, but I bet you can find online somewhere.

Maybe try filling a hollow toy with water and freezing it? Make sure it will not break when frozen and thawed.

Finally, there are water-holding crystals that can be sewn into bandannas and tied around the neck. They are some form of polymer crystal thing: you sew them into a bandanna, and then soak the entire thing in cold water for 20 minutes or so. The crystals swell and hold the water for about 8 hours. I do not remember what they are called, but this is the basic idea:
http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Bandanas/dp/B000FJQERE 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007 07:45:20 PM »

The bandanas are very interesting. Thanks for the link!

How could I forget ice cubes?! *smacks forehead*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Avian Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007 08:16:31 PM »

man that took me forever to find.
dog-sicles
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=174218.0

now that i reread your post, maybe a cool water bag with a fabric cover that she could lay on?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007 08:18:25 PM by Avian Flight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Muria
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 09:48:38 PM »

I've read that the primary reason that bulldogs (and pugs, and all the other dogs with smushed noses) can't stand the heat is that for most dogs, their nose is where they lose the most heat (the long lab noses are really heat sinks, so the heat goes into the air from the long nose, and the rest of the dog stays cool).  Since the length of the nose is actually pushed inwards, they don't do as well in the heat (my pug has a double whammy, since his black coat absorbs sunshine like you wouldn't believe).  Since dogs don't sweat, I'm not sure if making other areas of her cooler will help, but it can't hurt to try.  When our air conditioning went out,  our dog spent most of his time panting in front of the floor fans we had set up.  There's always a chance that the fan helped circulate the air near the nose and sped up the cooling down process for him (or maybe he just likes the wind in his hair, and was pretending he was sticking his head out a car window.  Grin ).

If it's the same kind of crystals I'm thinking, you can get them out of disposable diapers (preferrably before they've been used).  Grin 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007 07:21:57 AM by Muria - Reason: ugh, spelling error » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
smithyboy
Princess

Kitty-Pookums

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007 10:36:12 PM »

actually, come to think of it, i have some of those!  they're meant for fertilizer? but i got them in a smelly jelly (air freshener) diy kit from a swap! woo hoo! i have soo many i'll have to try this tomorrow!! yay, thanks for the ideas! Kiss i'll let you all know how it goes!

SmithyBoy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recycle Reduce Reuse Repair Rethink Retool Reinvent Resist React Respect Revere Reflect Refill Reclaim Recharge Rekindle Reform Refresh Renew Reconstruct
shortleggedsarah

Finding myself

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007 08:09:02 AM »

Muria: That is very interesting. It's probably why our German shepherds would stick their noses into their water bowls : )

Yes the crystals are often mixed into plant soil to save and release water in case you forget to water them (something I do all the time)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is more important to be yourself than to hide things. The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality "-John Frusciante
meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007 08:59:05 AM »

I work at a pet store and we have a doggie day camp I used to work in. For treats when it's hot we'd give them these things called Frosty Paws which are basically like dog ice cream. But don't eat them yourself... they're like liver flavored or something so they just taste salty (my co-workers shared some interesting stories).

Also, here's a link to the flyer we're giving out this summer:
http://www.petco.com/Content/Article.aspx?id=1807&redirecturl=%2fShop%2fpetco_SearchResults_Nav_1_N_31%2b22_Ntt_heat_sm_Article.aspx

Basically, water is important.

I have a friend who has a newfie and she sets up a little kiddie pool in the front yard for him to splash in. He LOVES it.

Also, soaking cloth toys in water and then freezing them... that may be helpful. I don't know how concerned you are about the mess though.

Interesting side note, the bulldog we had come to ddc was named Princess. She has a really bad skin condition, though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007 09:08:17 AM »

i would do a search and check out some of the non profit pet care sites like humane society
they basically say to provide a place of shade if they're outdoors, access to fresh water, etc

i think if you're taking your pup for walks bright water and a collapsible water bowl
put ice cubes in water to keep it cool
with my kitties when there was a heat wave last year i would sometimes wrap them in a cool wet towel to bring their temp down a bit
and keep an eye on them to make sure they're not getting heat stroke esp when outside for a long time (you can find the signs of heat stroke on those animal sites)

i like the kiddie pool idea, i wish my cats liked swimming

maybe a teething ring could be nice for him to chew on but you have to be worry he can't accidentally eat it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 7/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 8/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 9/28
How to Crochet a Soap Holder
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 4/28
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...