A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Hip in Hemp  (Read 5594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2007 05:24:25 PM »

How cute is this?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATThemp.html

My sister-in-law and I are both knitting this skirt for our 6 year old daughters (the creator of the pattern has more sizes listed on her blog).

I bought the yarn suggested for the pattern in a slightly different color way. It is so beautiful, I have never knitted with hemp, and I am trying to avoid animal fibers...
here it is!

want to join us?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 05:27:38 PM »

I won't be knitting this, but I'm sticking my reply in here that I will be watching your progress!

I've never knit/crochet with hemp before either. How does it feel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
isamax
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007 08:32:03 PM »

Umm, tempting.  My daughter will be starting kindergarden in the fall.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least check my stash  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ba Ba Booey
optimism
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007 12:08:12 PM »

The aforementioned sister-in-law here.... I just got started last night. I love this yarn! it feels a little like a linen blend; very dry and lightweight. Question: can i possibly finish this in time for my daughter to actually wear this summer? Hmmmm. I'm hopeful, but not convinced.  Anyway i didn't have the elastic at the ready (nor did I have #4 circulars) so I cast-on on straight needles and left a little opening to put the elastic in later, transferring to circulars and joining after the waistband was knitted down. That's as far as I've gotten!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007 05:17:26 AM »

I have a progress photo.
it's moving along, thanks to an emergency tutoring session with optimism.

It's difficult to see the pattern emerging...so far I don't really see the waves at all. Just a bit of bunching where I hope/assume the waves will drop down.
I loved the elastic joining part, knowing that there will be no sewing and seaming in the end.
And the yarn is really nice to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
optimism
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007 03:26:36 PM »

here's how its coming along.... The picture doesn't really do justice to the gorgeous colors, although i'm wondering if the pink would have been nice too. This is pretty easy knitting, only really having to focus 1 out of 5 rows. I noticed your waist has the pearl side facing out, i did mine knit side out. is that wrong?? either way i guess its fine.
I don't seem to be allowed to post a photo, because i'm too new, so here is a link:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb154/schilinsky/DSC00327.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007 04:12:23 PM »

i love it! (nice lawn)
i think the colors are beautiful, and your knitting looks perfect!
funny you should mention the waistband because i puzzled over this for about 15 minutes...it didn't seem at all clear to me from the pattern which side should face out. it sounded a bit more like the purl side would be out, because why else would we be asked to purl those first 10 rows? well, in the end i decided that i would simply choose, and i chose purl out...wait, i'll go snap my progress...

i just started the first c row...it is really quick because in the place of making a stitch is a yarn over...
i am wondering, though, if i am half finished...because the skirt doesn't seem very long...but i guess i could read ahead to figure this out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007 04:46:22 PM »

Could it be that that purl portion tucks inside, like a facing?  I'm working on a completely different project that has a portion in reverse stockinette stitch, because it folds inside as the facing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
gudrun
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007 12:06:43 PM »

Hi, this is the designer of Hip in Hemp here! So great to see these pictures and it looks like you are making good progress. I love the colours you chose, the hempathy has some great options. Sorry if the waistband description was confusing...I had intended for the purl side to be on the outside but it really makes no difference. If anyone has any other questions please let me know.
Can't wait to see the finished product!
What size are you knitting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007 02:49:28 PM »

Hi Gudrun!
i love this pattern! it is so well-organized and -written, clear and fun. I am now in the c/d section, so it is going really quickly. i am actually surprised at how fast the skirt is knitting up. i am making the size 6 for my daughter. i'll keep you posted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways to Hide Your Flu Face
Why This Woman Has To Shave Her Face At Least 2 Times A Day
Why This Woman Lets Her Underarm Hair Grow Free
Marta Topran Almost Died From Removing Bikini Hair
DIY Avocado Hair Mask Refresher with Meghan Rosette and Lauren Elizabeth
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...