A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best first lace shawl?  (Read 698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mnemosyne_LA
« on: June 19, 2007 11:45:29 AM »

I bought a bunch of lace-weight yarn from Knitpicks to make a clapotis and realized too late that you need worsted to make one.  So now I have 1200 yards of yarn and nothing to make with it.

Any ideas on a good first lace pattern for a shawl or wrap?  The yarn is Shimmer alpaca/silk in the Maple Leaf colorway, if that makes any difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 12:52:46 PM »

actually i've heard of doubling up on this yarn to make clapotis, but personally i think it would be a bit tricky, what with dropping the stitches and all.    Head on over to the knitalongs, there is a "my first lace shawl-along" going on.  lots of people have already finished, and there are tons of patterns listed throughout the post.  I'm not done with mine quite yet and I started the post!  which reminds me, i do need to update it!  lol

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=160178.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nevermore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007 05:39:50 PM »

You could do clapotis with lace weight yarnwithout doubling up as well.  You'd just have to do a lot more increase rows to make it the same size, and it wouldn't be as heavy or as thick as the original.  I've done half of one in the same yarn, held single.  It's knitting up nicely, but taking forever (mostly because I haven't worked on it in about 2 years).

For lace shawls, Icarus (from a recent Interweave knits) or Kiri (a free pdf pattern - just google it), are both realtively easy to knit, and use lace weight yarn.  I'm not sure what shape you're looking for, but these are triangles, and a couple of my favourites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy Shop - http://www.nevermore.etsy.com
ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007 06:43:18 PM »

A basic feather and fan stitch makes an awesome first lace shawl. It's what I did and it looked fancy without me becoming frustrated by it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007 06:33:02 AM »

A basic feather and fan stitch makes an awesome first lace shawl. It's what I did and it looked fancy without me becoming frustrated by it.

I second that!  Also, the PI shawl from Elizabeth Zimmerman.  Good for learning increases, yarn overs and decreases as well as knitting in the round from the center out.  The straight knitting in the sections makes it easy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007 08:24:38 AM »

Many knitters made clapotis out of doubled Shimmer and used size 8 needles. It might be just a tad smaller than the pattern, but would still be big enough for a wrap. They used 3 skeins, which sounds about what you bought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
redwitch
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007 05:20:27 AM »

Try knittingpatterncentral : tons of free patterns for lace, scarves, and shawl (among all the rest). Couldn't you knit a Clapotis on smaller needles? If you don't want to do something that big on small needles/yarn, a scarf version (or, yeah, doubled?)

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Peanut Butter Cookie, Reinvented for 8AM
Why You Should Be Eating Buckwheat Pancakes
How to Make Eggnog Cupcakes With Spiced Frosting
These Are The Cuddliest Gingerbread Men Ever
Turn Your Gingerbread Man Into a Reindeer Cookie!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...