A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ebay problem - I really need advice  (Read 2533 times)
Tags for this thread: ebay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wildfyre
« on: June 19, 2007 10:29:30 AM »

I've been on Ebay since 1999 or something and never had a problem like this. I have no idea what to do.

I sold an item for $3 and Ebay's automatic shipping calculator charged $4.60 for shipping. Well apparently the USPS changed their rates while the auction was going and I ended up paying $27 to ship it! USPS now charges by size of box not weight - so my 2lb box was charged the same rate as a 13lb one.

Anyway I decided to just eat the difference to get good feed back and move on.

Well a week later the buyer e-mails saying it never arrived. Two days later it's returned to me as undeliverable. I e-mailed the buyer and now they say their PayPal account was highjacked and that was the wrong address (entirely wrong state even). So they want me to resend the item and spend another $27 (my first $27 wasn't refunded my USPS of course).

Now I thought that as long as I shipped to what PayPal listed as the verified address, I would be good. Apparently not.

What I don't get is why they paid with a highjacked account knowing the address was wrong...

So what would you do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 11:21:44 AM »

All I can offer is sympathy and a bump. That's horrible. Have you looked into what it would cost with alternate shipping vendors? At $27 you're approaching courier prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildfyre
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007 11:28:20 AM »

I know, I used to use USPS because they were reasonable.. but now I'm thinking we'll switch to UPS or Fed Ex.

As for this package in particular, I have no idea what to do. Ebay's customer service isn't helping much either....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

krissykat
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007 11:29:01 AM »

First of all, ouch!

If you haven't done this already, I would probably contact the buyer and offer to refund the amount they paid. Explain what happened with shipping and that you've already paid over $20 out of your own pocket which didn't get refunded when the package was returned. If they still want the item that badly, they can pay the additional $27 to ship it. If need be, politely point out that they sent you the wrong address through PayPal and that it was clearly their responsibility to check that. You had no way to knowing the address was wrong. (I'm sure you know this already, but if the address was actually verified or confirmed by PayPal, it means they charged the person's credit card using this address and confirmed that it is, in fact the correct address. I don't think someone who hijacked that account would be able to verify a false address, unless they also hacked into this person's credit card/bank account and changed that address too. That's my understanding at least.)

I think if the person is at all reasonable they should accept that. If they're completely unreasonable, then chances are you're not going to make them happy anyway, unfortunately.

Good luck! I hope it works out well. I've been selling in eBay for awhile too and I know how much it sucks when stuff like that happens.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
Wildfyre
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007 11:34:58 AM »

I did contact them and explained that I am already out almost $30 on this transaction and if I resend at my expense I will be out $60 for an item they paid $3 for.
Unfortunately they simply repeated that it's not their fault the account was highjacked so basically, tough luck for me.

Ugh, what sucks the worst is up until this week I had 100% positive feedback, after this I'll have 2 negatives.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

art_babe
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 11:47:51 AM »

They sound like a serious jerk!! Buyers have gotten out of shipping me things before and I was mad--still a little irked cuz it was yarn i needed--but whatever, it's just stuff. I think you should take the negative feedback and just write off this jerk. you can give them negative feedback also so a buyer can track that you had a mutual diagreement.

Maybe a different shipping company would be cheaper. Or maybe paypal will reimburse you because it was there security breach to start with?

Good luck!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POTTER?? Handbuilder? If you want craftster to add a ceramics board let everyone know!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170834.0
L-train
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007 11:56:06 AM »

I agree that asking them to pay the $27 for re-shipping is completely reasonable. Whether or not they think it's their fault, it still is their fault they gave you the wrong address. I think you can respond to any negative feedback left with your side of the story, so if they do give you negative feedback, at least you have the chance to point out to anyone who cares to read it that they gave you the wrong address, you offered a refund, but the customer expected you to absorb the extra cost of shipping even though it was their mistake! I'm speaking as a buyer, as I've never sold anything on ebay. Normally when I check sellers' feedback I seek out the negatives & neutrals to find out what went wrong. You can normally tell who was at fault by the messages left by the buyer & seller (not only the content but the tone, etc). Why will you have 2 negatives and not just one out of curiosity?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007 12:05:03 PM »

That's brutal.
I've never used Square Trade (third party online dispute resolution service) and I'm not even sure if this is the kind of thing it's used for, but it might be worth looking into.
It's been awhile since I've read through all the fine print for PayPal's seller protection policy. I know it's supposed to protect you against fraud, but this seems like an indirect sort of fraud (it was actually committed on the buyer's account, but you're the one suffering from it). Maybe see if there's some other way that PayPal can help, since a big part of using PayPal is that they're supposed to protect buyer and seller from fraud.

Failing something like that, I guess you have to make the horrible choice between a)arguing that it's definitely not your fault if this person's PayPal account got hijacked and that they chose not to read the address they were asking you to send the package to, b)spending a ridiculous amount of money to send it again, and c)not spending more money and taking a hit to your feedback. It's not much consolation, but remember that you can add a comment to their feedback to explain your side.
All very unpleasant choices.  Sad

Sorry, I know that's not much help. Again, you have my sympathy and I wish you the best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007 12:06:58 PM »

No advice on what to do, except that I do second what the others have said.

I will say though, that I have bought from sellers who have had a couple negatives.  If the overwhelming feedback response is positive, I don't worry too much about.  And when you read the reason for one negative feedback out of 100 positives, it's usually pretty obvious it wasn't the sellers fault, alone (or at all).  

Guess I just wanted to say that if you can't please this buyer, to not lose sleep over a negative, I don't think it will end your ebay selling career.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
L-train
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007 12:30:13 PM »

Also, the buyer may be lying to you. Maybe they moved and forgot to update their address & they want you to pay for their mistake. Just a (very cynical) thought..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Birch Bark Basket
How to Make a Doggie Bag Tote
How to Make 3D Felt Flowers
How to Knit a Blanket
How to Knit a Hat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...