A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,336
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing novice -- attempt at a travelcard holder  (Read 2013 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigerita
« on: June 19, 2007 03:13:47 AM »

the inspiration for this card holder came from a combination of how flimsy the plastic oystercard holders that tfl gives out with the cards are and the fact that as a postgraduate student, i have no fewer than three library cards for different libraries that i'm constantly needing to scan to get in and out.  i was getting sick of having to dig through stacks of cards, and figured i could make something sturdier and nicer than my shredded plastic oystercard holder that would allow me to flip through my cards.  here is what i came up with:

here it is closed:

and open:

and with two other cards flipped out on the back, along with a tube map sewn in:

this is the back of the whole thing open:

i think it's a bit sloppy, but a decent start!  and i'm completely in love with the fabric...

if the bottom of the stitches is a bit loopy and has extra thread getting tangled in things, that means that my tension is off, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerita
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 03:21:28 AM »

i forgot to mention -- i looked for clear vinyl online and couldn't figure out what kind people use for things like this or where to get it, so i ended up cutting up a clear plastic document wallet that i had lying around and it worked great!  i had no problems at all with the presser foot sticking to it or bunching it up like people complain about with vinyl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007 03:58:27 AM »

Wow!  You sure you're a novice?  The fabric is awesome, and so is the functionality!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaye

Allergic to pink

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007 05:11:16 AM »

This is really neat! I like it! ..
Actually, I'll be visiting london soonish (in august) and my cousin over there recommended that i get a oyster card.. only i'm not sure what it is.. and how to get one?

xx j
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigerita
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007 05:35:34 AM »

This is really neat! I like it! ..
Actually, I'll be visiting london soonish (in august) and my cousin over there recommended that i get a oyster card.. only i'm not sure what it is.. and how to get one?

xx j

they're the cards we use on public transport.  you can put season tickets (day, week, month or year) on them, or just put money on and it will deduct some every time you ride the tube or bus.  you can get them from any ticket office in an underground station, and liverpool street station even has a nifty machine where you can get one without interacting with human beings (this is the mission of all technology in modern-day britain:  to avoid human contact).  unless you're only here for like a day, you probably should get one - they're actually phasing out paper tickets so now you can only get i think day passes on paper and everything else goes on oyster.  you give them a small deposit when you get one, but you can return it when you leave and get your deposit back. 

you can even make a cute case for it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dizzydragonfly
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 07:09:56 AM »

That is super!

I have my train pass, my student ID, my work ID and a subway card I need to carry on most days so this is just what I have been looking for! I'll have to see if I can construct one of these.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafter formerly known as jesssf!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt

http://dizzydragonfly.blogspot.com

Wists
logsio

i'd rather stitch than fight

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007 08:46:44 AM »

Hey that's great! I love the fabric too. What's that you've used as the loop around the button?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007 10:05:16 AM »

Wow, that is fantastic! Love the fabric too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
amourxamour
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007 12:51:00 PM »

i love love love that fabric!  Smiley
good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but then i was like, "what would emily do?"
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007 01:14:01 PM »

I think the design of it is brilliant.  So practical.

As for the clear vinyl, here is a link to Spotlight's catalogue (Australia's large fabric store) which shows clear vinyl (top right hand corner of the catalogue page).  You can buy different thicknesses and you would find it in the homewares department (of Spotlight anyway). 

http://www.spotlight.com.au/catalogues?p=8480

If for some reason the catalogue changes, I have saved the picture.  Tongue

If you can't find it, PM me and I can always send you some.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Wind The Bobbin On Your Machine
How to Use an Embroidery Hoop
How to Make a Basting Stitch
How to Back Stitch
How to Wrap a Difficult Item
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...