A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hoodie + tutorial [image heavy]  (Read 399141 times)
Tags for this thread: hoodie , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gnacissej
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2007 11:21:54 PM »

so to start things off. my veggietales hoodie. not really a flattering color or print but it's super warm because i lined the entire hoodie, sleeves and all, with flannel.

now onto the tutorial. please read this carefully before asking too many questions. I'll try to be as clear as possible. I directed this tutorial towards someone who has sewn a piece of clothing before. Not going into detail about how to attach sleeves and such but it should be quite simple to figure out.

Materials: 2+ yards of main fabric, .5 yard lining (for hood), 20" or longer separating zipper, .5 yard rib knit fabric, 1 tshirt, it would also be useful to have a hoodie next to you while you're doing this just to make sure things look right.

Instructions:

1. Place the tshirt on top of the fabric. fold the sleeves in and cut out the shape adding about .75" on both sides.

2. Take the piece you just cut out and fold it in half. Lay it over the fabric and cut it out adding 1" - 1.5" to the straight edge. Repeat.

3. Now fold the fabric and along the fold lay the tshirt sleeve down. Adding about .5" to the bottom cut the shape out at whatever length you desire. Repeat.

4. Now you should have 5 pieces. 1 back. 2 front. 2 sleeves. If you don't have this reread steps 1-3.

5. Now we start to sew. Take the back piece and sew the front pieces to it. You should be sewing down the side and along the shoulders. If you were to put this on now it'd be like an ugly vest.

6. Now cut out pockets. Your choice of the size and shape but mine look like this. I take some of the rib knit fabric and cover the edge.

7. Now take your main piece and fold that extra fabric in.

8. Once you've decided where the fold will be unfold and pin the pocket in place. Part of the pocket should overlap the fold. Sew it down.

9. Now that you've sewn it down fold it over again and pin the folds in place.

10. Now sew the bottom band on. The band should be slightly shorter than the whole bottom so you can stretch it a little as you sew. That will give the bottom a slightly snugger fit.

11. Now pin the zipper on under the folds and try it on to make sure the zipper isn't lumpy. Then sew it down. (If you have extra fabric at  the neck fold it down like a v-neck)

12. Now onto the sleeves! If you don't have something relatively close to what was shown in the previous picture you might want to reread some steps before moving on. So take your sleeves and sew them so they look like sleeves. (hopefully it's self explanatory)

13. Once you've sewn up the sleeves you can sew them to the main piece. Make sure everything is going in the right direction before sewing. Multiple times I've ended up w/ inside out sleeves.

14. Now sew some cuffs. Then sew them onto the bottom of the sleeve. Didn't really show this but hopefully you can figure it out..

15. Okay we're almost done! Now we move onto the hood. READ THIS PART CAREFULLY I CAN BE A BIT CONFUSING. Look at the previous picture. See that line I drew around the neck.. Measure that. Divide that number in half. That number is the length of the bottom part of  the hood. (bottom straight edge in the picture below) The shape of the hood is your choice. Now cut 2 of those out in your main fabric and 2 of those out in the lining. [i forgot to take pictures of the pieces]. Now with the right sides facing each other sew along the green line on the main fabric and the lining. You should have 2 seperate hoods now (one hood is main fabric, one is lining).

16. Now with the right sides of the hoods facing each other, sew along the green line.

17. Turn it right side out and you have your hood. This is the time to add a drawstring thingy if you want. That would be done by poking holes at the bottom and sticking a shoelace/ribbon through.

18. Now sew the hood to the main piece. If you want you can cover this seam because it will be the most visible when you are wearing it.

19. YOU'RE DONE. Admire your work! or if you aren't happy with what you made.. salvage the zipper, scrap the rest and start over!!

I hope this tutorial made sense and that some of you will make use of it. If you do be sure to post pictures.

Questions and comments are welcome. (but please, if you're asking a question, make sure it hasn't already been asked/answered.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009 03:04:38 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007 11:23:20 PM »

Yay, VeggieTales! Cheesy

Great hoodie and thanks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
A Capitol Idea
<3<3<3

hey unloving, I will love you<3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007 11:35:05 PM »

Wow. I love that. The veggietales one is pretty much AWESOME. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come join my disposable camera swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=185390.0
6/100 ATC Themes
Personal Swap Crazy! PM me!
Luinecu

"Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007 11:37:54 PM »

Fantastic stuff there! Grin

I might well take advantage of your tutorial and make my own; I'd been wanting to buy myself a new hoodie; so why not make one instead! So much more fun.

Great job on both of them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luinecu
x x o

Livejournal // Wists
clovergrace
The Positive Pessimest

Sometimes when you fall, you fly.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007 11:48:12 PM »

I can never understand patterns, but I can certainly follow your tutorial! I hope to be able to make my own hoodie in the next week or so now! Must go fabric shopping now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheezy

BOOM shakalaka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 12:01:20 AM »

you are some kind of god, i swear.
i've been wanting to make a hoodie for like, a week now
and a weeks a long time for me
now i know how to make it thanks:]

ps,veggietales rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
la_chrystelle
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007 12:13:36 AM »

I love the hoodie and the tute! thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007 01:04:18 AM »

oh i am SOOO making a hundred of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runyerpockets77

I'm Mean Looking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007 01:20:52 AM »

I totally need to make a hoodie now.

Where do you get your knit rib?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007 01:40:23 AM »

Woot! Veggie Tales!  My ds LOVES Larry Boy.  Great job, and thanks for the tute.  I <3 hoodies.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cedar Planked Chicken Recipe
How to Make Chardonnay Shrimp
Chicken Caesar Salad with Garlic Bread
How to Throw a Poolside Grilling Party
How to Throw a Clambake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...