A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Apartment kitchen rejuvenation  (Read 3478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Stikchic8
« on: June 18, 2007 10:24:47 PM »

As most of you know, decorating an apartment is very frustrating with the prohibitions on painting. So, one has to get a little more creative. For me that means doing everything I want to do on plywood and then hanging it up with those amazing picture frame mounting strips that do not damage the surface to which they are affixed. So, as our kitchen was awfully plain, I attempted to jazz it up a bit. I was inspired by this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=30320.0  and then just took off from there. I tiled the backsplash and the cabinets were done with paint, paper and then given a topcoat. It is awfully bright, and I am trying to brainstorm ways to tone down the cabinets. I would like the tone to match that of the tile in the backsplash. I was thinking about using a paint glaze of some color (darker purple or a slate gray-like the grout on the backsplash) over top of the cabinets. Do you think that will work? Any other ideas?
Anyway, with no further ado I give you my kitchen.

A straight on shot

Another view

A better look at a cabinet

The tiles that I love

And finally......

Button Magnets!

If you have any ideas how to tone down the cabinets without totally redoing them, please let me know. Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookster
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007 06:23:59 AM »

Everything looks great! But, I LOVE the button magnets. It's the little things in life Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trix_ska
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007 03:25:19 PM »

First, your kitchen is loverly! I love how bright it is!
Second....
For me that means doing everything I want to do on plywood and then hanging it up with those amazing picture frame mounting strips that do not damage the surface to which they are affixed.
I've never heard of those! Where do you get them?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007 03:26:11 PM by trix_ska » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cody
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007 08:13:59 PM »

If you want to tone it down (why would you?!), whitewash it. One coat of thinned down white paint applied with a rag does wonders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stikchic8
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007 09:20:45 PM »

First, your kitchen is loverly! I love how bright it is!
Second....
For me that means doing everything I want to do on plywood and then hanging it up with those amazing picture frame mounting strips that do not damage the surface to which they are affixed.
I've never heard of those! Where do you get them?
First, thanks! and second, I got them from Target. They are called Command Strips made by 3M. Here is a  link http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/picture_hangers/. They are perfect for apartment living.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stikchic8
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 09:22:28 PM »

If you want to tone it down (why would you?!), whitewash it. One coat of thinned down white paint applied with a rag does wonders.

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure if I want to tone it down or not. They just didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. The tile turned out perfectly though....so I just need to decide if I can adjust my expectations to how it actually looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CapturingLife
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 07:56:30 AM »

Those are great!  You've done a great job!

I have a question for you.  Have you had any problems with the command strips not holding up?  Are your fabric panels heavy?  I ask because I bought them and thought I'd love them but they aren't holding up too well.  Maybe I just need to add an extra one or two to keep it up. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stikchic8
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007 11:02:19 AM »

I have a question for you.  Have you had any problems with the command strips not holding up?  Are your fabric panels heavy?  I ask because I bought them and thought I'd love them but they aren't holding up too well.  Maybe I just need to add an extra one or two to keep it up. 

I have not had a problem the command strips. I think I used two on each panel and they are very secure. They do not weight to much as they are made from 1/8 in think plywood. Are you using the strips that are like plastic velcro or the ones that are just sticky? The ones that are like plastic velcro are made to hold more weight. Also, did you clean the surfaces you were sticking them to? I stuck my strips (that are like plastic velcro) onto the cabinet and the panel and let them sit for an hour before actually hanging the panels up. The directions on the command strips recommend this. Perhaps it helped. I hope this was helpful. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CapturingLife
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007 11:37:57 AM »

Thanks for your help!  I did clean the surface first, but I will fully admit that I didn't let them sit for the hour they recommended.   Embarrassed  My bad for being so impatient that day.  Smiley And the picture was a little heavy-ish.  I'm going to give it a proper try again today. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007 08:19:26 AM »

i love the lights (?) above your sink. is that what they are? they are so cute! and i agree about the button magnets...great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Saturday Haul With Shannon Barker
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Her Favorite Jeans
How to Wear Pajama Dressing
Voguepedia - Gwen Stefani and Punk
Vintage Bowles - The Dresses of Charles James in Chicago
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...