A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first bag!!  (Read 814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fizzingwhizbit
« on: September 03, 2008 06:20:43 PM »

I have never made a bag before! Actually, this is only the second thing I've sewn... Still, I don't think it turned out too bad!! I used the tutorial here: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2008/03/vintage-pillowc.html and it took me about three hours, once I'd acquired all of the materials.

1. I used cheap Walmart fabric to make the pattern, because I was too lazy to go into the recycling to dig out newspaper. The fabric for the bag was bought at Hancock Fabrics on clearance for $3 a yard.

2. I have handles!! Haha. Also, meet my messy craft table!

3. The lining is quilted with heavy fusible fleece. I have never quilted anything before, and though it came out kind of crooked, it was fun.

4. The finished product. Ohhh, I love it!!

What do you guys think??

- Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008 07:09:03 PM »

Great work-- especially for your first try!  Nice fabric!  Did you find that pattern difficult at all?  I have it on my "to-do" list and hope to get to it someday...   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008 07:42:16 PM »

First off, great job on the purse! It is very cute and well-made.

Secondly, THANK YOU for posting pics of your purse and links to the tutorial. I drew up a design for a tote/messenger bag for my husband and it had that same type of drawstring closure and he really couldn't wrap his head around my description or drawings. I'd googled but to no avail. This helps IMMENSELY. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzingwhizbit
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008 08:15:56 PM »

Great work-- especially for your first try!  Nice fabric!  Did you find that pattern difficult at all?  I have it on my "to-do" list and hope to get to it someday...   Roll Eyes

I didn't find the pattern difficult at all! The tutorial has lots and lots of pictures, so I didn't need to go hunting for any examples or anything. And once I got going, it didn't take very long to make at all! I did diverge from the instructions a bit: I didn't use a pillowcase (though I've got billions laying around - I have a thing for vintage linens), and I didn't use iron-on vinyl. Instead of vinyl, I used heavy sew-on interfacing. Hindsight being what it is, I would have used a light to mid-weight interfacing on the handles - they're really thick!!

First off, great job on the purse! It is very cute and well-made.

Secondly, THANK YOU for posting pics of your purse and links to the tutorial. I drew up a design for a tote/messenger bag for my husband and it had that same type of drawstring closure and he really couldn't wrap his head around my description or drawings. I'd googled but to no avail. This helps IMMENSELY. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Smiley

Thanks!! I think that tutorial will help you out. It's very easy to follow, and the drawstring bit was just about the easiest of it all!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008 11:44:43 PM »

Oh it's not the same bag as that one. I just meant he needed a photo to see what I was referring to when it wasn't your "typical" drawstring closure. I love the man but he sometimes lacks creative vision. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzingwhizbit
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008 10:39:07 AM »

Oh it's not the same bag as that one. I just meant he needed a photo to see what I was referring to when it wasn't your "typical" drawstring closure. I love the man but he sometimes lacks creative vision. Cheesy

I know what you meant! I think you should take a look at the tutorial, though, because there's plenty of pictures, including ones of what you're trying to show him!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celeb Style Secrets: Nina Dobrev
How To Research Sizes Online From Michelle Madhok
Gwen Stefani: Modern Style Icon
The Top 10 Buzziest Moments of Paris Fashion Week
Kerry Washington Rocks 6 Looks in 2 Days
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...