A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 843874 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #820 on: January 14, 2010 04:18:11 PM »

I finally finished my first set! I had a momentary glitch when I couldn't get the last seam of the French seam to work, but I realized that I was folding the gusset wrong when I turned it inside out. I messed up the first one (which I'll be re-doing and keeping for myself), but was able to make these 4 for a Christmas gift.

I put a piece of twill tape in the seam along the top edge to make the little hang-on-the-bag-rack loop. I think that for the next set I make I'll use a larger bag. They came out a bit smaller than I expected, but they still came out great, and were very well received Wink

Thanks for such a great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: January 15, 2010 06:51:45 AM »

I'm sure I have replied to this thread a couple times already, but wanted to tell you once again how fabulous these bags are! I went shopping at Aldi yesterday and was pleasently surprised at how much I could cram (and I mean CRAM) into one of these bags and I didn't have to worry about it tearing like a plastic bag. It was fairly heavy but not uncomfortable to carry at all!
Thank you again for making this wonderful tutorial. I am definitely going to be making more for myself and for others. My daughter doesn't like the items she picks out at the store to be put in a bag, so I told her I would make her one of her own - a tiny bag just for her stuff. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #822 on: January 16, 2010 12:15:31 PM »

Wow, craftADDchick - those bags look amazing.  I love the idea of the loop on them - it helps with the packing!!

HippieKender - what a fabulous idea to make one for your daughter.  It will make her feel so independent and special!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010 12:16:06 PM by queenofdiy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tobrie
« Reply #823 on: January 24, 2010 12:48:52 PM »

After a long long time, I finally finished by first bag made with this tutorial! The photos on how to do the handle were mighty confusing until I decided that I was just going to do them, whatever happened. The most rewarding thing about this bag was completing the handles perfectly, first go. I'm so proud. Cheesy

I love this tutorial very much, thank you, queenofdiy, for posting it! I'm a little awed by the people that have been making (I think the highest number is 35?) lots of these bags (yes, I read all 83 pages of this thread XD), because this one took me long enough. Tongue I did add two pretty stripes to the front and a pocket to the lining, which didn't photograph very well - I may try again. The lining is this pretty strawberry fabric that I love, but couldn't bear to have on the outside of my bag. Too busy. ^^;

I'm using this as my P.E. gear bag, I think. It'll fold up nicely into the vaguely matching messenger bag I made, too. Cheesy

And a picture that includes my rather fat cat, Tabbitha. He didn't like being in the bag, but the bag didn't mind holding him! Cheesy

Edited to add a picture of the lining + pocket:

Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010 03:52:22 PM by Tobrie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #824 on: January 24, 2010 02:40:49 PM »

Pretty fabrics, Tobrie! I may have to do a similar thing with the bits of fabric I have left from the bags I made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tobrie
« Reply #825 on: January 24, 2010 11:21:54 PM »

I think you should, it's even better at using up scraps of fabric you normally wouldn't use, if the bits can be smaller. Cheesy I just wanted mine to match my other bag and I couldn't stand it being just the plain boring blue on the outside. D:
Well done on your set, by the way! I love the fabrics you used, it really does say you're going green. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sayruh
« Reply #826 on: January 25, 2010 09:35:01 AM »

This is great!  Such a useful bag.  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #827 on: January 25, 2010 01:16:06 PM »

I think you should, it's even better at using up scraps of fabric you normally wouldn't use, if the bits can be smaller. Cheesy I just wanted mine to match my other bag and I couldn't stand it being just the plain boring blue on the outside. D:
Well done on your set, by the way! I love the fabrics you used, it really does say you're going green. Cheesy

Thanks! And originally, the set was supposed to be mine, so I picked out the fabrics that I really liked, and green is my favorite color. But then, I needed a gift, so off they went. But, I'm pretty sure I have enough bits of the fabric left to make myself at least one striped or patchwork bag. I may have to get a coordinating base fabric, but that should be easy enough Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tobrie
« Reply #828 on: January 25, 2010 03:55:31 PM »

I hope the person you gave them to really appreciated your work, then. Tongue I was thinking about that idea - a fully patchwork bag would be quite nice - make a quilt top (of sorts) and then cut out two bits of the main bag from it. That would be too much work for me, but I can see it being totally doable, and I reckon it'd look quite nice. Tongue I hope you get to make yourself another set soon! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #829 on: January 25, 2010 05:16:21 PM »

If I do, I'll be sure to post a picture!

And, the green set went to a very good home where they are much appreciated Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Penélope Cruz’s Nude Lips
The Best at Home High-Tech Skin Care Devices
Guy Attempts to Follow a J-Lo Glow Tutorial
Sona Gasparian Talks Personal Style and On-Set Secrets
Turmeric Mask from India
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...