A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 751817 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , tote_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #820 on: January 14, 2010 04:18:11 PM »

I finally finished my first set! I had a momentary glitch when I couldn't get the last seam of the French seam to work, but I realized that I was folding the gusset wrong when I turned it inside out. I messed up the first one (which I'll be re-doing and keeping for myself), but was able to make these 4 for a Christmas gift.

I put a piece of twill tape in the seam along the top edge to make the little hang-on-the-bag-rack loop. I think that for the next set I make I'll use a larger bag. They came out a bit smaller than I expected, but they still came out great, and were very well received Wink

Thanks for such a great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: January 15, 2010 06:51:45 AM »

I'm sure I have replied to this thread a couple times already, but wanted to tell you once again how fabulous these bags are! I went shopping at Aldi yesterday and was pleasently surprised at how much I could cram (and I mean CRAM) into one of these bags and I didn't have to worry about it tearing like a plastic bag. It was fairly heavy but not uncomfortable to carry at all!
Thank you again for making this wonderful tutorial. I am definitely going to be making more for myself and for others. My daughter doesn't like the items she picks out at the store to be put in a bag, so I told her I would make her one of her own - a tiny bag just for her stuff. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #822 on: January 16, 2010 12:15:31 PM »

Wow, craftADDchick - those bags look amazing.  I love the idea of the loop on them - it helps with the packing!!

HippieKender - what a fabulous idea to make one for your daughter.  It will make her feel so independent and special!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010 12:16:06 PM by queenofdiy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tobrie
« Reply #823 on: January 24, 2010 12:48:52 PM »

After a long long time, I finally finished by first bag made with this tutorial! The photos on how to do the handle were mighty confusing until I decided that I was just going to do them, whatever happened. The most rewarding thing about this bag was completing the handles perfectly, first go. I'm so proud. Cheesy

I love this tutorial very much, thank you, queenofdiy, for posting it! I'm a little awed by the people that have been making (I think the highest number is 35?) lots of these bags (yes, I read all 83 pages of this thread XD), because this one took me long enough. Tongue I did add two pretty stripes to the front and a pocket to the lining, which didn't photograph very well - I may try again. The lining is this pretty strawberry fabric that I love, but couldn't bear to have on the outside of my bag. Too busy. ^^;

I'm using this as my P.E. gear bag, I think. It'll fold up nicely into the vaguely matching messenger bag I made, too. Cheesy

And a picture that includes my rather fat cat, Tabbitha. He didn't like being in the bag, but the bag didn't mind holding him! Cheesy

Edited to add a picture of the lining + pocket:

Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010 03:52:22 PM by Tobrie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #824 on: January 24, 2010 02:40:49 PM »

Pretty fabrics, Tobrie! I may have to do a similar thing with the bits of fabric I have left from the bags I made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tobrie
« Reply #825 on: January 24, 2010 11:21:54 PM »

I think you should, it's even better at using up scraps of fabric you normally wouldn't use, if the bits can be smaller. Cheesy I just wanted mine to match my other bag and I couldn't stand it being just the plain boring blue on the outside. D:
Well done on your set, by the way! I love the fabrics you used, it really does say you're going green. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sayruh
« Reply #826 on: January 25, 2010 09:35:01 AM »

This is great!  Such a useful bag.  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #827 on: January 25, 2010 01:16:06 PM »

I think you should, it's even better at using up scraps of fabric you normally wouldn't use, if the bits can be smaller. Cheesy I just wanted mine to match my other bag and I couldn't stand it being just the plain boring blue on the outside. D:
Well done on your set, by the way! I love the fabrics you used, it really does say you're going green. Cheesy

Thanks! And originally, the set was supposed to be mine, so I picked out the fabrics that I really liked, and green is my favorite color. But then, I needed a gift, so off they went. But, I'm pretty sure I have enough bits of the fabric left to make myself at least one striped or patchwork bag. I may have to get a coordinating base fabric, but that should be easy enough Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tobrie
« Reply #828 on: January 25, 2010 03:55:31 PM »

I hope the person you gave them to really appreciated your work, then. Tongue I was thinking about that idea - a fully patchwork bag would be quite nice - make a quilt top (of sorts) and then cut out two bits of the main bag from it. That would be too much work for me, but I can see it being totally doable, and I reckon it'd look quite nice. Tongue I hope you get to make yourself another set soon! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #829 on: January 25, 2010 05:16:21 PM »

If I do, I'll be sure to post a picture!

And, the green set went to a very good home where they are much appreciated Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Some Bugs by Angela DiTerlizzi
Inside Delancey with Molly Wizenberg
How to Lose Weight with Your Partner from Love Me Slender
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton
Lynn Cullen Talks Edgar Allen Poe and MRS. POE
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...