A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 808338 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ansa
« Reply #720 on: November 27, 2008 07:25:50 AM »

i found out if you ask for a 1/2 yard cut, open it, and fold it like a "hot dog" (the long way) then in half the other way (where the crease is), then line up the fold with the fold of your pattern, making sure the cut out middle part is facing the middle fold, then you can cut out the bag, and use the middle part as your pocket, and there are NO scraps! woo hoo! (i hate scraps because i hate throwing them away)

QUESTION   Hi!  Love this idea, and I cut my pieces out this way.  But now I can't figure out how to turn the lined version inside out (since handles are in one piece).  What are the steps that allow you to do this?  Or does this work only with an unlined bag?   THANKS!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 30, 2008 09:22:20 AM »

Just curious, has anyone tried to sew slits in the handles so the slide over the metal racks the stores have to hold their bags? 

If you go to the first page of this board (Singlet Style Shopping bag) you'll find the pattern that initiated the creation of the pattern that we are all working on. The original pattern was an unlined bag with the little tabbies that have buttonholes...in the same location as the plastic bags.

But I do like the idea of placing little loopies on the handles too!  Who would have thought that a little shopping bag could bring out so much crafty goodiness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
SABRINAM
« Reply #722 on: December 03, 2008 11:08:22 AM »

I just got jacked on Etsy and I should have just gone with yours in the first place. I bought a "pattern" (for $3 + $1.50 shipping and handling? Roll Eyes ) thinking I could go the lazy route rather than trace a bag like you did. Instead I got your tutorial regurgitated. Darn!

TFS, OP! I'm making some for my daughter's teacher for Christmas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 03, 2008 11:56:03 AM »

QUESTION   Hi!  Love this idea, and I cut my pieces out this way.  But now I can't figure out how to turn the lined version inside out (since handles are in one piece).  What are the steps that allow you to do this?  Or does this work only with an unlined bag?   THANKS!   
[/quote]

I wonder if you could fold the material with right sides facing when you cut out your pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
yellowduckie
« Reply #724 on: December 03, 2008 12:07:14 PM »

I just got jacked on Etsy and I should have just gone with yours in the first place. I bought a "pattern" (for $3 + $1.50 shipping and handling? Roll Eyes ) thinking I could go the lazy route rather than trace a bag like you did. Instead I got your tutorial regurgitated. Darn!

You should tell the OP the etsy name so something can be done.  That's not right for someone else to sell her free work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 03, 2008 12:38:18 PM »

i found out if you ask for a 1/2 yard cut, open it, and fold it like a "hot dog" (the long way) then in half the other way (where the crease is), then line up the fold with the fold of your pattern, making sure the cut out middle part is facing the middle fold, then you can cut out the bag, and use the middle part as your pocket, and there are NO scraps! woo hoo! (i hate scraps because i hate throwing them away)

I did it and cut the pieces in two afterward and sewed as normal. I thought the folding was just to get the U shaped pieces togetrher as one piece for the pocket. I could very easily be wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SABRINAM
« Reply #726 on: December 03, 2008 12:51:15 PM »

You should tell the OP the etsy name so something can be done.  That's not right for someone else to sell her free work.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18161089
Her tutorial doesn't have the pouch attached but they're almost identical. I paid $4.50 for a 'tutorial' rather than a "pattern." Boy, am I ticked. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #727 on: December 05, 2008 05:53:15 PM »

Her tutorial doesn't have the pouch attached but they're almost identical. I paid $4.50 for a 'tutorial' rather than a "pattern." Boy, am I ticked. 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!  I have reported the item on Etsy, so we'll see what they do about it.  It's kind of annoying that people do this as I want to help others (as I like using free tutorials) but this person obviously has crossed the line in using my tutorial.

Leah - is Craftster able to do anything about it?  I ask this because I don't want future tutorials put at risk of them "being ripped off"....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #728 on: December 05, 2008 06:23:19 PM »

I was looking for a bag to make for my Mother-In-law for Christmas and was thinking along the lines of a shopping bag. This is Perfect, and you make it sound so simple for us novice bag makers.  I also love the way it folds in on itself. Thank you for your time in putting together this tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: December 08, 2008 12:40:39 PM »

Man, this stinks queenofdiy. I'm so sorry but I don't think there's anything I can do about it since it's happening on Etsy and not Craftster. Sad I hope they can take some action!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!  I have reported the item on Etsy, so we'll see what they do about it.  It's kind of annoying that people do this as I want to help others (as I like using free tutorials) but this person obviously has crossed the line in using my tutorial.

Leah - is Craftster able to do anything about it?  I ask this because I don't want future tutorials put at risk of them "being ripped off"....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Double Crochet an Arch Border
How to Finish a Crocheted Granny Square
How to Halve Your Single Stitch Count
How to Double Your Single Stitch Count
How to Do a Twisted Knit Stitch on a Loom
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...