A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 773331 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , tote_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2008 09:08:34 AM »

I really like the patterns of all those bags! Great job, ....share the tute? Shocked
Check the first post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rmember_myreply
« Reply #541 on: April 05, 2008 04:26:38 PM »

whoa rmember_myreply, those bags are awesome!  Are they made using Fat Quarters?

no, i found out if you ask for a 1/2 yard cut, open it, and fold it like a "hot dog" (the long way) then in half the other way (where the crease is), then line up the fold with the fold of your pattern, making sure the cut out middle part is facing the middle fold, then you can cut out the bag, and use the middle part as your pocket, and there are NO scraps! woo hoo! (i hate scraps because i hate throwing them away)

thanks for the compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: April 05, 2008 05:56:50 PM »

I am definitely going to give your hotdog cut and fold method a try tomorrow - very ingenious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
yellowduckie
« Reply #543 on: April 05, 2008 06:22:11 PM »

no, i found out if you ask for a 1/2 yard cut, open it, and fold it like a "hot dog" (the long way) then in half the other way (where the crease is), then line up the fold with the fold of your pattern, making sure the cut out middle part is facing the middle fold, then you can cut out the bag, and use the middle part as your pocket, and there are NO scraps!

Oh wow.  That is so cool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 05, 2008 07:03:46 PM »

I was wondering how much fabric you had to use... so it takes that much fabric huh?  And that is only the outside or the liner, isn't it.... so technically you need 1 yard total to make a bag and the liner.

*Scurries to craft room to see what fabrics she has 1/2 yards of*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: April 05, 2008 07:29:35 PM »

Well, I tried this tutorial today ... and didn't do so well Sad  I think I missed a step because my handles turned out inside-out but everything else was right-side-out.  :/  I blame DH for being on my computer while I was trying to make the bag.  Wink
I also used a heavy fabric - it was my old sofa's slip cover.  I will definitely be using a light weight fabric next time.  I broke a needle trying to sew the straps in half.  DH mocked my "tarp bag" because of it's weight.
But I am super excited to try this again ... it's also an excuse to take a trip to the fabric store Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #546 on: April 07, 2008 06:28:49 AM »

hippie kender, the joke will be on your husband when he has to carry the tarp Bag full of canned goods! hee.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: April 07, 2008 06:55:22 AM »

So I used my reusable shopping bag for the first time today - to see how much they hold. The cashier gave me a bit of a sneer but the bagger guy was thrilled.  He said that he loads them up.  I told him I wanted to see how much that baby could hold - he put 14 things in there - all of my cold stuff, 4 ears of corn included.  I am definitely going to be making more of these bags!
I am completely sold on them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: April 07, 2008 07:47:14 AM »

hippie kender, the joke will be on your husband when he has to carry the tarp Bag full of canned goods! hee.

Heehee, I like the way you think!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #549 on: April 07, 2008 08:40:26 AM »

I tried as much as I could and I was totally unable to get my bag in to the pocket... 

Hey ya Craftydeb,
SOMEWHERE on this incredibly popular thread are the instructions to folding the bag into itself WITHOUT the outside pocket. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Quilt Part 1/2
How to Start Quilting
The History of Quilting in America
A Simple Recipe for Making Soap
Soap Making Troubleshooting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...