A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 785636 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , tote_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sanity8080
« Reply #510 on: March 19, 2008 04:54:53 PM »

Smallish rant here:  Angry

Why do some cashiers act like I have a 2nd head when I bring my own bags to the store?   Roll Eyes

I bring my own (some I've made, some storebought) to the grocery store with no problem.  The ladies at the grocery store are pretty cool.  It's when I've been venturing out of my "comfort zone" and shopping at the mall or other retail places where I get grief.

P'haps I'm reading too much into their reactions but I swear that the Plastic Bag Lobby has zombified the cashiers or something!  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Gizmonic, I get the same reaction, because reuseable bags are just starting to become popular here, as well, and with the sole exception of the health food store, I always get strange looks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
jenna_08
« Reply #511 on: March 19, 2008 06:50:03 PM »

I am not sure if someone asked about this or not... i tried to read through all the posts.  I tried to make one of these tonight, it turned out ok, except for the handels, when it says to sew the outsides together and continue on to the lining, can someone clarify that a little more for me... i am not sure how that works.  Any help would be great, as i am a little new to sewing and i think this bag is great... for what i have now it will do wonders.  Thanks for any help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jiggs18
« Reply #512 on: March 20, 2008 04:26:19 AM »

Love, love, love the bag but have two questions. Can't understand when to sew the outside seam of the handles. Tried to do it after sewing the U but that made it immpossible to turn right side out later on. Need help with this step.

Second. Do you use 5/8" seams?

Can't wait to whip a few out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #513 on: March 20, 2008 06:11:48 AM »

jiggs, when i made mine, i sewed the U  and the sides for each, then I turned one right side out, and inserted it inside the inside out one. (remember, right sides facing, patterns facing!) then i sewed the short edge of the handle.

then, i pulled them out, and still RSF, sewed the bottoms, but left a turning hole in the bottom of the lining.

I don't think this is exactly what the pattern calls for, but mine came out pretty ok when i did it this way.

i use 1/4 inch seam allowances, and then use pinking shears to trim some bulk if there is any.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bronzfrog
« Reply #514 on: March 20, 2008 06:31:57 AM »

OK.   Sew the U.  Then sew the other sides of the handles.  Leave about 1" at the top unsewen.   Then turn it inside out and iron.  Then after you put the right sides together.  At this point I like to match where the seam is on both sides and pin.  Now you are going to be sewing the tops of the handles together.  Follow directions for how to get started.  This is where some people get confused.  Basically the outside and lining are one piece so just sew across the top until you get to the end of the lining.   It's kinda like you are sewing the inside of a circle.
I have several of these to make in the next couple of days so I'm going to have to try how kmsmaverick does hers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
kmsmaverick
« Reply #515 on: March 20, 2008 02:06:27 PM »

Wait! now that i think about it, I wonder if RSF and Patterns Facing isn't right.  Bronze frog, if you try my way, be sure to think it out first, perhaps even baste it rather than regular sewing.

it's a long time since i made one, and i'm just thinking that if you do RSF, and PF, then  you have to sort of pull them out and sew the sides flat. hmmmm. Perhaps i just contributed bad advice. I'll try to bust out my sewing machine this weekend, and take snaps as i go.

ETA!
alrighty then! Here are my snaps. now, i don't know if this is faster or slower than the original method, this is just more familiar to me, so i find it easier. truth be told, i never tried the original method because this came to me intuitively, and the result was successful. Perhaps i might give the Original method a try this weekend. YAY!

first, i sew both U's, and all four L's and turn one Right Side Out.

then i insert the RSO into the In Side Out one; RSF, and Patterns Facing.

then i put the Presser foot inside the handle, like this:

next, i sew the sides all the way up.

and pull the gusset similar to how i pull a box bottom corner. this helps me  make the fold of the gusset.

I sew all the way across the bottom, so the gusset is sewn folded. on the outside i sew all the way across, on the lining, i leave a turning hole.

i pull everything through, and press and top stitch the entire out side edges,

fold it up and use a handy dandy hair elastic to keep it neat.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008 10:03:47 AM by kmsmaverick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenna_08
« Reply #516 on: March 20, 2008 02:21:48 PM »

AH HA!!  You ever have a moment when the light bulb goes off and you are like DUH!  Thats how i feel right now... i think i might have figured it out, ill have to try when i get home, but i wasnt sewing the U part completely, and leaving a 1" or so on both sides, so they were not connected... it all makes sense now!  Thanks for the help, ill try again this weekend, and try to post some pictures of them Smiley  Yeah i am excited now!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #517 on: March 20, 2008 03:09:41 PM »

This looks great!  And I love the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity8080
« Reply #518 on: March 20, 2008 04:58:36 PM »

I am not sure if someone asked about this or not... i tried to read through all the posts.  I tried to make one of these tonight, it turned out ok, except for the handels, when it says to sew the outsides together and continue on to the lining, can someone clarify that a little more for me... i am not sure how that works.  Any help would be great, as i am a little new to sewing and i think this bag is great... for what i have now it will do wonders.  Thanks for any help Smiley

Jenna, what I did was put the outer fabric next to the inner fabric right sides together and sew the "neckline" of the bag and the "sleeve" of the bag (you can tell I'm used to clothing patterns, huh?), leaving about 1 inches at the top of each seam.  Repeat with the other outer and inner fabric.

Then turn right side out and kinda finger press the seams (oh, you're supposed to clip the curves so that the bag actually lays right, I forgot to do that) then put the front and back pieces together with the outer fabric on the inside and push the lining out of the way.  You are JUST going to sew the shoulder's together of the outer fabric, and once you get to the end of it, you will pull the lining up and kinda scrunch the lining around in circle so that you are just sewing the two lining pieces together at the shoulder and sew.  Repeat with the other shoulder.

I will try and put together a video of it and post the link to it in a bit, because it is easier to show you then to tell you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
jenna_08
« Reply #519 on: March 21, 2008 12:20:04 PM »

Here is a picture of the one that i made the other night, that i had a little trouble on, but i think it turned out pretty cute Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Common Moisturizing Mistakes Women Make
Help for Common Beauty Emergencies
Jeremy Scott Fall 2014 New York Fashion Week Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Modamob Staff Picks For Our Favorite Mascara
How to Pick the Right Foundation for Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...