A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 809517 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HalfBrit
« Reply #400 on: November 07, 2007 01:46:55 PM »

Those are great!  I just did 2 more for friends- one in a faux leather from Wal Mart and another in black and pink dots for a Mary Kay dealer friend.  Both came out great.  The faux leather made it really classy looking.  Just like my friend is. 

A friend on mine that I shared my pattern with made some out of, of all things, BAR CODE fabric!  Talk about cute!  I wonder how her bag would scan and what that would do to the scanning machine?   Grin

These make terrific gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2007 06:45:32 PM »

I bought some fabric for these as soon as this tutorial was posted. Alas, I have not had a chance to make any. But, I just remembered that I need to make a birthday present for a friend. I think that she would love a set of these!

And Zelda.Suicide, I see that, in addition to crochet, you are a "sewing machine" too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2007 07:41:13 PM »

Quote from: craftADDchick
And Zelda.Suicide, I see that, in addition to crochet, you are a "sewing machine" too! Smiley
[/quote

I am a craft junkie, seriously, I can't just stick to one craft, I have to try them all. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2007 07:55:13 PM »

Cheesy
I just finished making this bag from your tutorial! It was pretty easy and a lot of fun to make.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful tutorial!
If you'd like to see the one I made, clicky the linky Cheesy
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=206790.new#new
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gingerquilts
« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2007 10:04:26 AM »

I just made a bunch of these for Christmas gifts.  I have a great tip to share that I'm not sure is listed anywhere.

When you are sewing the seam across the bottom you DO NOT have to turn in the gusset first.  Just stitch about 1/4 inch away from the bottom making sure you get the lining and outer fabric all together.  Then turn in inside out and turn the sides in.  I used a little 2 1/2 inch ruler I have to measure the amount to fold in.  THEN stitch across the gussets and all, double stitching the two folded parts.    It will look like the last picture before it is turned inside out and folded into the pocket.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0

Learn from my mistakes and shortcut folks and save yourself a headache!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TracyInNH

Nectar of the gods...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #405 on: November 08, 2007 12:31:51 PM »

This is a great idea...and with it looking just like a shopping bag is even better...kinda makes it self explanitory (sp?) as a gift.  I just followed the tutorial and made 2 of these...and plan on making many more for gifts!

The tutorial is soooo easy to follow, great job and thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #406 on: November 08, 2007 03:19:59 PM »

Quote from: craftADDchick

I am a craft junkie, seriously, I can't just stick to one craft, I have to try them all. 

Me too (I'm craftADDchick for a reason Wink Problem is, I don't have enough time to make everything I want to make!

But, I definitely need to dig out my fabric for these bags and whip up a few in the next week! I need to give the gift next weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
baaramewe
« Reply #407 on: November 08, 2007 10:51:43 PM »

this is fabulous! looks like a found a project to do this weekend while my hubby is out of town! yipee!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

« Reply #408 on: November 09, 2007 09:44:17 AM »

I have the cutest story about making one of these bags, but I don't have a picture, so you'll all just have to imagine.

My husband and I are making about 30 of these for holiday presents and about a month ago, I was making my first one to see how it turned out. We had a house guest at the time who saw my first one and asked: "How hard is that to make?"

I told him it wasn't too hard a project, even for a beginner, and he said, "Do you think you could help me make one for my mom? It's her birthday next week." So, off we went to the fabric store!

It turns out that our house guest's mom is a seamstress AND that our house guest (who is in his 20s) had never touched a sewing machine before. So, I taught him how to sew on this project and he did every single step himself, including the topstitching. His bag turned out beautifully!

He mailed it off and I was lucky enough to be nearby when she called after receiving the package. There was a lot of repeating of "Yes, Mom. I *REALLY* did it myself. No, no one else did it!"

He was so proud of himself and his mom thought it was the best birthday gift he'd ever given her.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Even though he's not on Craftster to say it himself, I know that our house guest would say THANK YOU for the awesome tutorial.

I have 11 bags cut out and pinned ready to be sewn this weekend. There are only about 20 more to cut out... Smiley Good thing I still have a month or two! I can't wait until they're all done so that I can post pictures. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
Llola
« Reply #409 on: November 10, 2007 03:26:51 PM »

Here's my first bag!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Upgrade Your Burger with Pimiento Cheese
How to Make Slow Cooked Ham and Eggs
Daphne Oz’s Mexican Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Perfectly Pretty Lace Pancakes Recipe
How to Make Baked Bull’s-Eye Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...