A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 794591 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 25, 2007 10:01:23 AM »

Shocked
I have been having so much fun making these bags.  Here is my first:

It hasn't gone out shopping yet.  I have been using it to store my rags and wipes:

Gotta luv those froggies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 25, 2007 10:07:43 AM »

Wink  One was not enough, so I made another shopping bag:

This one hasn't been shopping yet, either.  I've been using it to store my quilting UFO's:

I just love this tute - but I'll confess the only parts that I followed were how to make the pattern and how to fold and sew the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
itgerpatty
« Reply #342 on: September 26, 2007 02:18:21 AM »

Wow,
you guys find the coolest fabric  Grin this is a little tougher here in Germany. So the next time you go shopping, give a little thanks to your "crafting gods" for your selection LOL  Cheesy
Great bags, I think I'll try my hand on one tonight. We'll see how it goes, I am not the best at a sewing machine..... but you guys made such cute bags that I want one now too LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #343 on: September 26, 2007 02:34:59 PM »

SOMEbody SOMEwhere posted instructions how to fold bag into itself WITHOUT a pocket and it works like a dream!!
Sorry not give you credit but you rock anyway.
Saved me tons of time on my next bag!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #344 on: September 27, 2007 07:01:16 PM »

Here's mine, I made the handles a little differently though, and it has a seperate zipper pouch.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalfBrit
« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2007 09:35:03 AM »

I made 2 of them yesterday, what a lovely tutorial that was to work with! 

I didn't have any inexpenisive fabric to make linings with so I had to use the good fabric, making these a bit pricey.  I'll get some muslin or something like that so I can keep the cost down in the future, but I must say that I love this idea and these are quite luxurious shopping bags.  I made the red and green paisley one for my Mum and the other one for me.  (I "prudently" matched up my pocket to the design.) It's modeling with 2 boxes of cereal, a giant tub of raisins, spaghetti sauce and big can of stew.  Room to spare!  I'll keep one in my car door pocket to use when I pop in for a few things after work. 

Thanks for the tute, Your Royal Highness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itgerpatty
« Reply #346 on: October 01, 2007 12:14:19 PM »

HalfBrit,
WOW your bags are awsome. I wish I could find fabric like that. I need to get my butt moving and make some too. I haven't sewed anything in years plus with three kids, husband at war etc. it seems I never find the time. But after you seing your bags, I REALLY need to start and try it... Enough with the excuses LOL
Super job, especially with the pocket!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NameThatCandy
« Reply #347 on: October 01, 2007 02:50:20 PM »

omg, beautiful fabrics.  where did you get the "Village" one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How to Make Cake Pops, Decorating Cake Pops Ideas:
http://www.MyLittleCakePops.com
Makeup Reviews:
http://crazyaboutmakeup.com/
http://www.NameThatCandy.Etsy.com
ms.cate
« Reply #348 on: October 01, 2007 10:49:11 PM »

That fabric with the houses is lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dftkarin
« Reply #349 on: October 03, 2007 06:46:21 PM »

I LOVE these bags and have made almost 10 so far and I have a question.  I've made most just as described in the tutorial (LOVE that tutorial) and the finished bags are pretty heavy and kind of bulky and its made me wonder if the lining is really neccesary or it its overkill. It looks nicer of course, but it also adds bulk and weight to what I wish were a more lightweight bag. Also, in the bottom seam, I sometimes break needles getting over the thick folded-in gusset (is that a gusset?) part - and it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I am always a little unsure about how much to fold in the sides - and if I've folded them in equally - but in the finished bags it doesn't matter too much. The bulkiness though, is there some secret to a less bulky and more neat/professional way to get things to lie flat for that bottom seam. I do iron it, trim the seam carefully before doing the french seam, etc.  Oh, by the way, I have made a few bags without the lining, I did a sloppy looking single hem around the handles and top edges - I'm not sure how long they will last before unraveling, but they seem plenty strong for hauling library books, groceries, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...