A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 792935 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2007 10:41:22 AM »

I had to use two different pieces, as I am trying to use up the odds and ends of my stash:

Wobblerat, that was what I was thinking. It seems like these could be made with separate pieces all around to use up smaller bits. Instead of putting the pattern on the fold, cut extra pieces (four for the outside and four for the inside). A little extra sewing, but a good way to use up smallish pieces. Was there anything different about the construction using the pieced bits?

I still put the pattern on the fold, and cut two of the outside, and one each of the lining for 4 pieces total.  If I understand correctly, if you didn't lay it on the fold you would have 4 pieces for the outside and 4 for the lining.  With that layout you would have a seam down the front and back of your bag with a different color on either side.  You would also have two different pieces for each gusset.

If I were to make a bag with 4 different fabrics for the outside and 4 for the inside, I would manipulate the pattern so the front and the back of the bag were one solid piece, and each gusset were one solid piece.  Don't forget seam allowances (I always do!) Wink

From there the construction of the bag would be similar, but not quite the same since the original pattern calls for the gussets to be half pieces instead of whole.  I'm sure it could be done, but would take some finessing.  I would have to make one to tell you exactly how to do it. 

It's a great idea, and I have lots of scraps that would work.  When I get a chance I think I'll make one.  Thanks for the idea!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skrabadoo
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2007 05:08:21 PM »

I'm so sorry, I simply can't stop making these bags.  

This one is made from two sheets I found at Value Village.  
My guess is that the blue sheet is older than me.  Wink
It is lined in a white sheet.

A friend of mine lent me 6 books to read (they were in a plastic bag! gasp!) so I returned them in this bag.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010 11:32:57 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2007 05:48:39 PM »

A friend of mine lent me 6 books to read (they were in a plastic bag! gasp!) so I returned them in this bag.

What a great way to spread the word!

And now, as I get tired of my old sheets, I may just have to do the same thing...think how many bags I could make from a set of queen sheets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
KatyBoo
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2007 07:27:56 AM »

Love your fabric Skrabadoo! And yes I've made more! *hangs head in shame* hehe!

Decided my mam needed another one cos she has too much shopping for one bag (i know the colour combination is slightly odd but she picked it!)

Next one is for my best friend's mam cos she was admiring mine - inside and outside made out of different parts of same sheet i had left after making a dress, its a nicer green than it looks in these pics

And this one is for my best friends birthday (not only saving carrier bags but gift bags too  Cheesy) and made out of curtains - think its my new favourite!

Also in the middle of another one for me! Sorry for the millions of pictures!

xk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CreativeGenes
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2007 07:50:46 AM »

Queenofdiy, It looks like your tut was very inspirational.
Here are my bags, four so far.

Two full size, one medium, and a mini!
Again, thanks so much for the wonderful tutorial!
Jody
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muzzymom86
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2007 08:04:00 AM »

Please don't appologize for too many pictures.  I love them all.  These fabrics are great.  If only I did not have to work or clean my house....I could make these all day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive415

Moderation in all things, including moderation

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2007 04:56:59 PM »

I'm a total novice sew, but I loved this idea, so here are my bags. I didn't do the gusset b/c I like my bags wide. Thank you for the great tutorial!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alkali-feldspar

...I'm a total newb.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2007 05:18:58 PM »

These are brilliant, both the original and all of the incarnations!

I've got a quick question, however. I'd love to make a couple of these I can carry on my shoulder and as I've never actually sewn before, I have to ask what I'd need to do to lengthen the straps a bit... I've got a long bus ride from grocery store back to apartment.

I really am such a newbie. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2007 06:28:53 PM »

These are brilliant, both the original and all of the incarnations!

I've got a quick question, however. I'd love to make a couple of these I can carry on my shoulder and as I've never actually sewn before, I have to ask what I'd need to do to lengthen the straps a bit... I've got a long bus ride from grocery store back to apartment.

I really am such a newbie. Wink
I don't have advice on how to go about lengthening the straps, because I've done so little sewing.  However, I've carried a lot of bags (Smiley), and I'd recommend that you make different handle lengths when you figure it out.  That way, you could have one hang lower than another so they can sort of fit together when you carry two on one shoulder.  (Does that even make any sense?  I can see it in my head, but I'm not sure whether I'm expressing it clearly.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
alkali-feldspar

...I'm a total newb.

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2007 07:53:57 PM »

I don't have advice on how to go about lengthening the straps, because I've done so little sewing.  However, I've carried a lot of bags (Smiley), and I'd recommend that you make different handle lengths when you figure it out.  That way, you could have one hang lower than another so they can sort of fit together when you carry two on one shoulder.  (Does that even make any sense?  I can see it in my head, but I'm not sure whether I'm expressing it clearly.)

I had to read it twice, but I get it! And that's a fantastic idea, thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Demi Lovato Inspired Messy Bun Tutorial
Holiday Hair Idea: Wild Twists
How to Get a Braided, Twist Pony
Try Dip-Dyed Hair Tips
How Master the Twist-Out Hairstyling Method
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...