A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,938
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 809664 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

megawench
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2007 08:00:06 AM »

Heres what I made based on your little design, my mom LOVES it! She's on a reusable shopping bag kick, so she wants me to make more!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatyBoo
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2007 08:04:21 AM »

Thanks guys  Grin (eventually I'll stop being so lazy and post pics of the matching dresses!) Megawench I love your fabrics too!

xk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betty bat
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2007 08:37:28 AM »

Love your fabric, Megawench, especially the lining fabric.

I have some Mary Engelbreit fabric.  There are big panels with the "Queen of Everything" and "Princess of Quite a Lot" design.  The panels are about 14" by 14".  I've been trying to think of something to do with them for YEARS!  Has anyone tried making this pattern with separate fabric for the handles, rather than as a single piece?  The lining could be a single piece according to the pattern, but the way the panels are printed on the ME fabric, I'd have to do some cutting and "pasting" to get the outer piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2007 01:42:53 PM »

betty bat, I think it would be really cute to use the ME panels for this bag.  Maybe you could do a border around them to incorporate them into the handles?  ME is just too cute to sit in the stash!

Having managed to wrangle all the components of the camera together, here are the bags I've made:

The small one is perfect for DVDs or library books, and has been comandeered by my 3 yr old:

The larger tote.  It's amazing just how much these can carry. 

The lining of the large bag.  I had to use two different pieces, as I am trying to use up the odds and ends of my stash:

The lining of the smaller bag.  I reused the pocket of some old hospital-issue scrubs. It even has a pen holder!

All the fabric for these bags has come from old scrubs that I made back in the day when I was a floor nurse and made them myself.  It's not likely that I'll do that type of nursing again, so it's been really great to be able to do something with all the scrubs that lets me see my cute fabric!  Since I have an entire enormous sterilite container full of scrubs, I've got tons of fabric to make more bags!  Which is good, because my Mom has been eying the floral one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2007 03:12:31 PM »

The bag is made from one pattern piece.  It's just like the plastic shopping bags and in fact the pattern is made from the shopping bag.

Thanks for posting the tutorial!  As a beginner to sewing, I appreciate the concise instructions.  
The tote is so cute that I am carrying it as a purse.  The fabric is vintage.
(I plan to use this pattern again but will make longer handles so that I can hang the tote on my shoulder.)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010 11:31:43 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2007 04:43:57 PM »

The bag is made from one pattern piece.  It's just like the plastic shopping bags and in fact the pattern is made from the shopping bag.

Thanks for posting the tutorial!  As a beginner to sewing, I appreciate the concise instructions. 
The tote is so cute that I am carrying it as a purse.  The fabric is vintage.
(I plan to use this pattern again but will make longer handles so that I can hang the tote on my shoulder.)

Looooooove the fabric!  Nice job on the sewing too... especially since you're a beginner! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pumpkindoll
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2007 05:04:32 PM »

Great Tut. I am going to try to make one after I buy more fabric. and that purse is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariluvshorses
« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2007 08:46:54 AM »

WOW thats such a good idea.
It would make a good purse too.
Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2007 09:07:47 AM »

Barbalot:
Looooooove the fabric!  Nice job on the sewing too... especially since you're a beginner!

Thanks Barbalot!  I appreciate your taking the time to make a comment!!
The fabric is a strange pheasant and abstract gun print.  The weirder, the better, I say.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007 08:09:54 AM by SkitzoLeezra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2007 12:47:45 PM »

The fabric is a strange pheasant and abstract gun print.  The weirder, the better, I say.
I agree!  Keep up the good work! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Unagi Nigiri
How to Prepare Tsukemono
How to Cook Vegetable Tempura
How to Cook Tarka Dal
How to Prepare a Sweet Lassi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...