A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 90
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 935783 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CreativeGenes
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2007 04:20:47 PM »

Queenofdiy, I LOVE your bag! I was searching for a pattern for grocery bags and yours was the first I found, I stopped my search and started sewing! How cute and easy!!!! Great tut! So glad I found your tutorial and this community!
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2007 08:13:45 PM »

Queenofdiy--  How would you go about making a bag for grocery/food items that tend to leak?  I was thinking about this on my way home from Rubio's with the omnipresent plastic bag.  They come from so many places!  I would hate to get grease on my pretty fabric bag... Cry

Could you bring a plastic bag just for the leaky stuff? I know that I have a ton of plastic bags and I could easily tuck one into my fabric bag, just in case...and if I don't need it, I can drop it into the recycling bin at the store Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2007 08:23:02 PM »

Could you bring a plastic bag just for the leaky stuff? I know that I have a ton of plastic bags and I could easily tuck one into my fabric bag, just in case...and if I don't need it, I can drop it into the recycling bin at the store Wink

What a great idea craftADDchick!!  I was thinking perhaps you could line it with a thin vinyl type fabric but the plastic bag is an easier and cheaper option.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2007 07:48:43 AM »

Queenofdiy--  How would you go about making a bag for grocery/food items that tend to leak?  I was thinking about this on my way home from Rubio's with the omnipresent plastic bag.  They come from so many places!  I would hate to get grease on my pretty fabric bag... Cry
I don't know how difficult it would be, but how about making the bag using an old shower curtain as the lining?  Keeping a plastic bag on hand would definitely be easier and cheaper, as queenofdiy said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2007 09:26:48 AM »

I bought some vinyl tablecloths from Walmart that were on clearance (2 for $4.00). These would work great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
w001324
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2007 03:41:37 PM »

I love this tutorial!  But I just read 17 pps of posts and I seem to be the only one who can't figure out how to turn the bag right side out....  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purplecowsarehot
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2007 03:52:58 PM »

cool-ness
lol
 Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2007 09:08:27 PM »

I love this tutorial!  But I just read 17 pps of posts and I seem to be the only one who can't figure out how to turn the bag right side out....  Any suggestions?

what step are you on? the bag should be turned right-side-out after the very FIRST sewing step, when you sew around the sides of the handles. if you're past that,  you probably can't turn it right side out without taking out seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
ReadJulia
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2007 08:07:19 PM »

So I'm a relatively new sewer but I love this project and wanted to try it. I used some thicker cotton (from Ikea) for the outside and just some white muslin for the lining -- I wanted to test on stuff I had around the house.

I agree that I could have used more than 1-1.5" more open space on the handle as it got tight sewing across. My main problem came when I was sewing the French seam.

By the time I turned the gussets in, my machine was having trouble coping with the thickness. I had to hand-turn the wheel at some points to avoid a broken needle. The bottom seemed really thick and bulky to me. I'm interested in fabric suggestions to keep it as "non-bulky" at the bottom as possible at the bottom while still sturdy enough...

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muzzymom86
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2007 05:48:05 AM »

I'm really trying to get this made, but I am having one disaster after another.  First off I cut the fabric wrong now my print is upside down.  Then I didn't read the directions the whole way through and had to tear out a couple seams.  Now I finally figured it all out.  But i didn't catch all the first seam in the french seam (also having problem with the thickness) and my pocket is too short.  I will finish it today.  I love the pattern, I am just pattern illiterate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 90 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Beer Hats
How to Crochet Bee Happy Flowers
How to Knot Scarves
How to Crochet Pom Pom Scarf
How to Crochet Sugar Cookie Candle Wreaths
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...