A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 817878 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2007 12:43:36 PM »

Thank you for the great tute!  I have just found this site on Sunday afternoon and immediately fell in love with your bag!
  I had a bit of confusion with the handles for a few minutes, and worked it out in my head while showering, and then again the gussets were giving me fits and starts.  Some of the confusion is just my left-handed-ness, I truely believe my brain thinks differently than a righty!

Can't wait to see your bags!!!  Would you believe me if I told you I was a left-hander??  However, my brain has an abnormal ability in mental rotation skills.  I think it's probably due to 25 odd years of sewing and I would think many hours about what I was going to sew.  I would literally sew it in my head.  I still do this today and I can picture exactly what I want to sew.  Unfortunately, this has a downside - sometimes I just try stuff to see if it works and when it does I feel like I have wasted time.  On the other hand, it's good because it works...

So, needless to say, I can see something and work out how it is made almost immediately (in most cases).  Cheesy

Post your pics soon!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mtaplusone

Women Who Strive to Be Equal With Men Lack AMBITIO

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2007 01:42:29 PM »

It is so good to know that someone else 'works it out in their head' like me and is a left hander t'boot!  That is what I was doing in the shower, I had memorized the directions on the handle and was visualizing what I needed to do to make it happen.  Sitting at the sewing maching with 2 tots being tots was not getting it done!
Try this link:
the bag laying flat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/tpropst/IMG_1127.jpg
the bag being slouchy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/tpropst/IMG_1128.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2007 01:49:55 PM »

Oooh - very nice.  Is that a wave at the top opening of the bag I see???  Fantastic.  The contrast pocket looks great.  And...good thinking about balancing the pockets. 

Go lefties!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candlemas
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2007 02:51:01 PM »

Great! Thank you a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mintlatte
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2007 03:07:58 PM »

I finally took pics of mine too :-)
With my current knitting project in it:

And Folded :-)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mtaplusone

Women Who Strive to Be Equal With Men Lack AMBITIO

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2007 05:22:36 PM »

That is a wave-nice catch!  I went full force on capturing the full look of the walmart bag!  Another shortcut....I took my fabric on folded it in half, and then cut both pieces (front and back) at the same time.  This helped to make sure the pieces were truely identical and saved me pinning the plastic baggie 4 times Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miasu
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2007 08:23:39 PM »

This is beautiful. Really really beautiful! My mom is soo thrilled about me finding this- she wants me to make her tons. Thank you soo much for the tutorial! That was so kind of you to share it!

And also! I just realized-- I would always take plastic grocery bags to school for lunch, and I would reuse them, but eventually, they would get worn/torn, and I'd have to get a new one-- but NOW I can make one! Like the adorable mini one!! Thank you so much again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit_Dork24

Do you feel crafty? Well, do ya... punk?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2007 07:19:43 AM »

Love the Elvis fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blondes here don't jump out of cakes

http://eat-sleep-knit.blogspot.com
dragonslair
Crafting another baby...... Due Jan. 6th, 2011

Goth and loving it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2007 07:34:24 AM »

Finished 4 using the original unlined overlock/serger pattern yesterday.  Used flannel like for kids jammies.  Showed them to Mom's friend who was over for dinner yesterday who works for a local chain grocery.  He was very impressed that it would hold 12 cans of food without the threat of breaking where as a plastic bag can only do 6 and still threatens to break.  I grew u in Virginia where they charged you to use the store bags (paper and plastic) and made you bag your own groceries I never thought of them as being a problem, then again they fit nicely in my diaper bag and no one questions a mom with a diaper bag.  Our farmers markets here don't have bags so they love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WILL SWAP for CLOTH diapers.........

MY LJ
http://crochet-crazy.livejournal.com

My wists
www.wists.com/dragonslair
Muzzymom86
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2007 08:20:03 AM »

Super job everyone. When I get my twirly skirts done I am so going to do this.  I really like the Elvis fabric.  Our W store has alot of this on clearance for like $1/yard.  I like it but couldn't think of anything to do with it.  Now I know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Spun Wool Works in Pleasureville, Kentucky
Easy-to-Sew Mittens With Molly Ringwald
How to Make a Paper-Vinyl Wallet
How to Make a Butter Sculpture
Mesquite Tree Used for Woodwork in Texas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...