A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 771934 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , tote_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knit_Dork24

Do you feel crafty? Well, do ya... punk?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2007 04:48:56 AM »

Stores that sell their own reusable bags are usually more ready for it.  And I've noticed a lot more of the mainstream grocery stores have started doing that (definitely more here in the DC area than back in Ohio, but it has to start somewhere, and I'm glad it has). 

My MIL said that she had a cashier argue with her when she handed them her cloth bag. They said that they're plastic bags are recycled so there's no reason to use cloth ones.  Angry Don't get me started on that.

Not to get too off topic, but...

Just to let people know, Wegmans (here in the Northeast) has started selling there own reusables for about $1. They're sturdy and have the store name on them, not as cute as this bag though. But all the cashiers seem to know what to do with them.

I'll definately need to make one these for the Walmart/Target trips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blondes here don't jump out of cakes

http://eat-sleep-knit.blogspot.com
anneR
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2007 06:09:22 AM »

Stores that sell their own reusable bags are usually more ready for it.  And I've noticed a lot more of the mainstream grocery stores have started doing that (definitely more here in the DC area than back in Ohio, but it has to start somewhere, and I'm glad it has). 

See, this is why Scandinavia is so great - we've had reusable bags for ages and noone looks at you twice for not using plastics. Of course, we also have self-scanning so the cashier never even has to touch the stuff I've bought unless there's a check (happens now and then) - so I pack my own bags every time. Smiley

And I just love this tute! Soooo good, I'll probably be able to follow it without a hitch and can instead take the time to make lots of them!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------------
Anne in Sweden
stephielou
Ohio Uber Alles!

"She ain't no riot grrrl, just a riot"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2007 06:20:37 AM »

It's very frustrating that stores are discouraging shoppers from bringing their own bags - I mean, doesn't it save THEM money not to use as many bags?! More chains should take Whole Foods' approach - they give you a $.05 credit for bringing your own bags. If only they weren't so damn expensive!

Back on topic - I hope to get to making some of these over the weekend. Thanks again for this tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2007 06:35:07 AM »

See, this is why Scandinavia is so great - we've had reusable bags for ages and noone looks at you twice for not using plastics. Of course, we also have self-scanning so the cashier never even has to touch the stuff I've bought unless there's a check (happens now and then) - so I pack my own bags every time. Smiley

All the self-scanners I've seen around here operate on weight and freak out when you try to use your own bags (because they weigh the groceries pre-scan and post-scan, and homemade bags add unaccounted-for weight to the post-scan platform).  The trick is to put your bags on the pre-scan platform WITH THE GROCERIES, then lift all the bags with the first item scanned and transfer them to the post-scan weighing/bagging platform.  Either that, or don't bag anything until after your entire order has been paid for--but that tends to irritate all the other people in the self-checkout line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2007 12:52:11 PM »

This was such a great idea, and tutorial I was inspired to try it. Also have so much vinyl I wanted to try to make them with some of that so I can use it up. Well, I am happy to report it works great! I've made two so far, and plan on making enough for my weekly shopping trips (about 10). Oh, and the bonus of using vinyl? Not necessary to line because it has that built in!  Grin

Here is one I made from the yellow vinyl:

Free standing so it will be easy to fill:

Various vinyls I have to make my bags:

Thanks again to queenofdiy for the tutorial, and inspiration!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peariso
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2007 05:08:53 PM »

This is proof that you can fit a 20 lb bag of dog food + treats in this bag.

I didn't line it as I found it a little bulky but the cotton rip-stop works great.  I french seamed the whole thing for added strength. 

Thank you so much for the tute.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
ebeth
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2007 07:28:53 PM »

oooh!  i wouldnt have thought about ripstop...thats a great idea...did you use store bought bias tape?

everyones bags look so great...thanks so much for the tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i do personal swaps...  check out my admired objects www.wists.com/ebeth
peariso
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2007 09:43:24 PM »

Yeah I just used what I had in my stash.  I'm pretty sure that it was the discounted/ discounted stuff that was just too good a deal to pass up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
mtaplusone

Women Who Strive to Be Equal With Men Lack AMBITIO

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2007 12:06:29 PM »

Thank you for the great tute!  I have just found this site on Sunday afternoon and immediately fell in love with your bag!
  I had a bit of confusion with the handles for a few minutes, and worked it out in my head while showering, and then again the gussets were giving me fits and starts.  Some of the confusion is just my left-handed-ness, I truely believe my brain thinks differently than a righty! Normally, I would have just given up on the project, but I desperately wanted to finish the bag to use as my carry on bag for a cross country flight tomorrow morning.  I perservered and my bag was finished in less then half a day (also included was showering, bathing two toddlers and having lunch out with hubbie!)
 I did not make the self folding pocket because I don't plan on folding it up. However, I did add a large outside pocket for my cell phone and keys, and a large inside pocket for my wallet and whatnot.  I made certain to put each pocket on the opposite side so that when I use both pockets it doesn't become overly bulky on one side.
The other great thing about this bag (when using it as a largish purse) is that you can slide one handle inside the other and kinda sling it so it isn't as awkward to carry...does that make sense?
I tried to post 2 pics, but don't know how that works.  Is there a tute for posting pics?

Thanks so much queenofdiy!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mtaplusone

Women Who Strive to Be Equal With Men Lack AMBITIO

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2007 12:11:55 PM »

Found the tute on posting pics, so I'm going to try it here.
Evidently I haven't reached 10 posts yet so I'm not allowed.  Will be back after I have acheived my prequisite. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michelle Obama Makeup How-to
The Best Fourth of July Look
July 4 Makeup Look
Fourth of July Makeup How-To
Halloween Mermaid Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...