A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 785811 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , tote_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ravens tail
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2007 01:18:11 PM »

WOW! Queenofdiy you really are the Queen!  Thanks for sharing the tute what a great idea and everyone's looks so cool! Going to try it out soon! Good work everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stephielou
Ohio Uber Alles!

"She ain't no riot grrrl, just a riot"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2007 05:08:27 PM »

I'm waiting for someone to combine this project with the "make your own fabric from plastic grocery bags" project (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=178442.0).
Heh.  Imagine using a plastic grocery bag as a pattern to make a permanent grocery bag out of... recycled grocery bags! 

Brilliant! I saw something like this a while back in the etsylabs store, but they were a tote-style. Thanks for that link! I love that idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

surreal_rebirth
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2007 08:49:38 AM »

thanks so much for posting this.  after my trip to walmart and fuming as i watched the cashier waste a ridiculous amount of plastic bags, i'm determined to make enough cloth ones so that i won't have to use plastic anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2007 11:52:33 AM »

I'm curious ... for those of you who use "reuseable" bags, what is the reaction of store clerks when you give them the bags?

The concept of using non-disposable bags has not caught on in my community.  I may become a trendsetter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2007 12:39:54 PM »

I'm curious ... for those of you who use "reuseable" bags, what is the reaction of store clerks when you give them the bags?

The concept of using non-disposable bags has not caught on in my community.  I may become a trendsetter!

It really depends on the store.   Grocery stores are usually pretty decent about it-- the cheaper stores are often bag-your-own anyway and the more frou-frou stores tend to push "eco-friendly" in your face by selling their own reusable bags, so they can hardly complain.  Smiley

Big Box stores REALLY REALLY HATE for you to bring your own bags.  They tend to either ask you to leave them in the car or to make you leave the bags at the customer service desk until you've purchased your items and received a store bag.  <sigh>  Drug stores and discount stores (like Dollar Tree!) are similarly paranoid.

Weirdly, I've found that a number of small businesses and farmers' markets locally don't like reusable bags, because they "know you've paid" if the produce is in a plastic bag marked "Bob's Produce" or whatever.  Never mind that I could have just saved the Bob's Produce bag from the LAST trip.  Smiley  It helps if you're a regular customer... eventually they get used to the idea.  (big box stores almost NEVER get used to the idea, because you never see the same sales clerks/security officers twice.)

This is why I really like that this pattern folds up into a harmless square!  Not only is it NEAT (unlike a string bag, which gets tangled in your hairbrush or whatever else is in your purse!), but you can actually bring it in the door without raising the hackles of the "unauthorized shopping bag" people.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007 12:45:36 PM by Gwydion » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2007 01:24:04 PM »

I bought some reusable bags from the chain grocery store that I usually shop at and for the first month that I used them, they still looked pretty new. The cashiers always wanted to ring them up as a new purchase!

I've found that I need to make an effort to get them to put stuff in my bags. If I just put them on the belt, the cashier pushes them aside and the bagger ignores them. Usually not a problem, but if I'm not paying attention, half my order is already bagged in plastic. Once, when this happened, I asked the bagger to put my items in my own bags- she took the items she had already bagged, plastic bag and all, and stuffed them into the bags.

*sigh* Some people just don't get it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2007 01:48:01 PM »

Cashiers' habits can be hard to overcome.  Usually, bagging is part of their "flow."  Unfortunately, in many stores I've encountered, double-bagging is part of their flow.  There's nothing quite like buying a single bottle of Tylenol and having it double-bagged, but I do understand how little things like that become automatic (especially as they get faster and more experienced).

Stores that sell their own reusable bags are usually more ready for it.  And I've noticed a lot more of the mainstream grocery stores have started doing that (definitely more here in the DC area than back in Ohio, but it has to start somewhere, and I'm glad it has).  It's definitely easier to use reusables in stores with front checkouts, versus mall stores where you walk around and through the store after making a purchase (I can understand how that might appear really suspicious).  Sometimes I compromise by taking the plastic shopping bag for my first purchase, and asking to put later purchases in the bag I already have (if I'm buying at more than one store).  You know, a second pocket or pouch just for receipts might not be a bad idea (particularly a clear one)--just to make it really clear that you're on the up-and-up, and so you can produce the receipts really quickly if someone asks.  Or making a mesh or clear vinyl tote-style bag for non-grocery shopping--maybe based on the round-handled plastic shopping bags they use in clothing stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2007 02:14:50 PM »

You know, a second pocket or pouch just for receipts might not be a bad idea (particularly a clear one)--just to make it really clear that you're on the up-and-up, and so you can produce the receipts really quickly if someone asks.  Or making a mesh or clear vinyl tote-style bag for non-grocery shopping--maybe based on the round-handled plastic shopping bags they use in clothing stores.

This is a good idea! Someone above mentioned using the "make your own fabric from plastic bags" tutorial- I wonder if it would work as well with clear bags? I was planning to make a pouch to keep my bags in,  so maybe I could clip a clear "receipt pouch" to that. I don't know if I have any clear bags, though...Definitely worth looking into...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Skrabadoo
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2007 04:28:15 PM »

Thank you so much for the tutorial.  I was able to make a bag as well.  I didn't put a pocket on it because I was struggling a bit and just wanted it to be done.  As soon as I figured out the handles it was pretty smooth sailing.  The print is of cute little grey mice with pink ears, the lining is solid blue.

My goal is to fill up my plastic bag holder with fabric bags! Oh and to make one masculin enough for my boyfriend to want to use.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010 10:11:07 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wafflesandcupcakes
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2007 04:28:49 PM »

Great idea!
I've never thought about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Missing Max Book Trailer
The Deep Kiss of Winter Book Trailer
Lisa Genova Talks About Still Alice
The Bone Box Book Trailer
Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman Talks About Long Way Down
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...