A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 780999 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , tote_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2007 08:54:17 AM »

You guys are selecting such pretty fabric to make your bags.  I was thinking it would be a great way to get rid of all the fabric in my stash that I look at now and say, "What was I thinking?"

We are in the process of moving over the next week or so.  Once I am settled and have my sewing area set up, you'd better believe I'll be making myself some of these.  They are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2007 09:21:59 AM »

thank you thank you thank you for this!  i absolutely HATE plastic grocery bags.  they are all gathered in a pile in the bottom of my pantry haha!  i can't stand to throw them away.....so now i can!  (except for my target shopping bags which are just a bit bigger than the normal ones....i use them to line my bathroom trash bin...)  i'll have to make sure to make at least two semi-manly looking ones for the boyfriend to use haha Smiley   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2007 01:26:21 PM »

I just made one! I used plain 'ol cotton and with the lining it turned out bulkier than I expected. Good news is, I think it will withstand a LOT of weight. I stuffed it for the photos. (box of lasagna, spaghetti, 15-pack box of popcorn, box of storage bags)

The tutorial was good. I was confused about sewing the handles back on themselves but it made sense after I reference-looked at an uncut plastic bag. Took about 1.5 hours.

I will personally add more length for the handles next time. I always have thought the length of the plastic bag handles is too short anyhow. Enough gabbing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Isolde
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2007 01:34:04 PM »

This is great. I'm going to have to try this. I didn't even realize that it folds into itself, until the secoond time I looked at it. Looks awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewmethesky
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2007 02:41:01 PM »

Right when I saw this post I started to cut up a plastic bag  Smiley

Ha ha!!  That's so funny  Grin

I love the fabric you picked.  Do you have that sort of fabric lying around in your stash!?!!  WOW  Shocked  Fabulous!!! 

How did you go turning it into the pouch?  I found that if I tried to turn it all at once it was really hard.  If I pushed one corner down on the pouch at a time to turn it was much easier.

I wish I had more of these kinds of fabrics lying around..I picked the pink stuff up when it was on clearance at a fabric store for 3 dollars a yard.
As for the pouch, I think that I used too thick of a fabric and could not actually get it to fit into the pocket  Undecided Maybe I need to try a larger pocket next time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2007 05:59:54 PM »

Well, I went to the fabric store to get some fabric to make myself a set of these and it ended up costing me almost $150! I bought everything on sale, and was doing okay until this lady in line asked me what I was making, and when I said "Bags!" she said,
"Why aren't you making them out of the clearance fabrics that are 50% off?"

So, after I had my original fabrics cut, I moseyed on over to the clearance section and bought a TON of fabric! I had a bunch of bolts and was only going to get 2 yards of each (at $1.50 a yard with the sale), but then...I took what was left on the bolt for most of them. I just can't resist a bargain!

So, I'll be making my original set next week and then seeing what else I can come up with using all of the other fabric I bought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Cherriez
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2007 06:41:52 PM »

Here are my two I made:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=178500.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2007 07:28:44 PM »

Well, I went to the fabric store to get some fabric to make myself a set of these and it ended up costing me almost $150! I bought everything on sale, and was doing okay until this lady in line asked me what I was making, and when I said "Bags!" she said,
"Why aren't you making them out of the clearance fabrics that are 50% off?"

So, after I had my original fabrics cut, I moseyed on over to the clearance section and bought a TON of fabric! I had a bunch of bolts and was only going to get 2 yards of each (at $1.50 a yard with the sale), but then...I took what was left on the bolt for most of them. I just can't resist a bargain!

So, I'll be making my original set next week and then seeing what else I can come up with using all of the other fabric I bought!

SCORE!!!  Love to see what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2007 09:42:26 PM »

I really really love this project.  I teach 1st grade and like to send home a bag for the children to fill with 5 items to tell about themselves.  I think I have found the pattern for the Personality Bags this year  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
Lucille
War Penguin

Argh!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2007 01:14:45 PM »

Thanks for the tut!!! Great Project!  Kiss

Here's my attempt at it, the fabric comes from bedsheets (a gift) far too short for my bed ... it took me 1.5 hour to complete it but maybe that's because I had to handsew it all 'cause I have no sewing machine (yet Tongue). I'm planning to do a couple more for my friends.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1637/shoppingbagkf7.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Chat with the Best Selling Author Preeti Shenoy
How to Teach Toddlers to Trust Themselves
Author T.C. Boyle Has No Regrets
J.A. Jance Celebrates Her 50th Book
Moving Target by J.A. Jance
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...