A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 90
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 934307 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tobrie
« Reply #830 on: January 26, 2010 06:09:09 PM »

That's fantastic! I hope their new home uses them a lot - nobody really needs any more plastic bags. D: And, your new avatar is scary.  Grin Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #831 on: January 26, 2010 06:26:49 PM »

Our mayor is trying to enact a plastic bag ban, but it keeps getting held up somewhere. Hopefully she can push it through!

And, my new avatar is my old avatar with some "enhancements." I think it finally shows what the expression on the frog's face means Wink I think he should have a little sound clip with a froggy version of Mr. Burns (from The Simpsons) favorite expression, 'Excellent!'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #832 on: January 28, 2010 09:23:18 AM »

Plastic bags serve a purpose, y'know.  Kitty litter clean up.  Doggie poo glove/bag.  Yucky stuff.  Wet stuff.  I re-use them. 
FYI:  Have made lots of the fabric bags and love them with a longer strap/handle.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010 09:25:21 AM by SkitzoLeezra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 30, 2010 09:14:09 PM »

Very nice !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 09, 2010 08:45:33 PM »

Here's a tutorial I've made, that is nowhere near as great as this one. It has bag-rack tabs on it.

So, I hope that you have a look, anyways.

Did you know that if you used a (single) reusable bag, 2 times a week, you would use 104 fewer plastic bags each year?

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311421.0

Have a look, and maybe, even give it a try.  (I hope that this isn't against the rules.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
jayslilwoman
« Reply #835 on: February 19, 2010 12:26:08 AM »

I feel so stupid!! Ive been trying to follow the tutorial and i get confused with the handles and what the heck the picture is showing..I pinned the main fabric and sewed that..now do i push that down and sew the lining handles together? Sorry for asking something that seems so simple but i just cant get it Smiley

thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop!
http://eliqueang.etsy.com
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #836 on: February 19, 2010 08:53:20 PM »

I feel so stupid!! Ive been trying to follow the tutorial and i get confused with the handles and what the heck the picture is showing..I pinned the main fabric and sewed that..now do i push that down and sew the lining handles together? Sorry for asking something that seems so simple but i just cant get it Smiley

thanks!!

When you sew the main fabric, it should just be a straight shot to sew the lining, too (since the main and lining fabrics are already sewn together on one edge).  It's a little awkward, and you may have to fiddle with it, but it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute_anarchy
« Reply #837 on: February 21, 2010 02:56:30 PM »

It is kind of confusing the very first time you do it, I know, once you've got it - you've got it! 

I sew the handles first - one set of the outside fabric and the inside fabric, right sides together. 
Down the outsides of each handle, and around the neckline/opening u-shaped-curve, clip the curves.
Put aside and do the same for the other set of outside fabric and lining. 

Once you've got both sets together, I attach the handles by the alternate method someone posted:
Turn one of the sets right side out and tuck its handles inside the handles of the inside out one. 
Put the right sides together of the lining, and right sides together of the outside fabric.
Sew around (not across!) the handle tops: basically put the sewing machine foot just inside the handle openings on the two layers of lining, go in a circle around each handle. Its a little slow and finicky, but not bad.  Do this for each handle.

Open out, and lay right sides together of outside fabric, right sides together of lining.
Get the handles out of the way, towards the middle, and zoom up one side, sewing outside fabric to outside, and continuing across sewing lining to lining.  Do the other side. 

Open so it up so the pretty outside fabric is out, and lining tucked inside. 
(Fold in side gussets here, if you want them.)
Sew across the bottom and trim close to seam. 
Turn inside out, sew across the bottom again, hiding the rough edges within the seam allowance. 
Done!

Here's hoping a slightly different description made something click in your head, and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
jayslilwoman
« Reply #838 on: February 21, 2010 11:59:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies!! I'm going to try it again tomorrow Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop!
http://eliqueang.etsy.com
Sheeplet
« Reply #839 on: April 23, 2010 08:18:28 AM »

I'm so gonna do this later today (after my nap!) This is the first bag tutorial I've seen that I understand. Yay!  Grin

Will have to track down an old plastic bag somehow though, haven't used them in a very long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To see the rainbow, we must endure the rain.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 90 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Ashley Greene Goes Blonde
The Modern Chignon Tutorial
Hair Tips: How To Use Dry Shampoo The Right Way
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
The Monday Makeover - 1940s Hollywood Waves With Eugene Souleiman
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...