A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 793233 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madamx
« Reply #750 on: January 18, 2009 07:59:52 AM »

Thanks for your detailed reply Madamx....some fantastic advice I need to take on board.  Wink

Sorry if my previous post seemed like I was going on and on. I'm get very passionate when things like this happens.  You're a good person, don't let this experience harden you. I figure you enjoy making things and monetary gains are not on the top of your list, but you are talented enough to get the recognition you deserve and reap the rewards. 

Keep smiling you know you got our support.

On a lighter note, yesterday I made two of your bags which came out great. I'm going to Venice on Monday and plan on frequenting the various markets so, I needed a cool and easy to pack away bag to take with me. Will take pics while in Venice and post later.

M.x
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009 08:05:43 AM by madamx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
McBec27
« Reply #751 on: January 23, 2009 02:22:57 PM »

This is a really great tutorial. This was the first thing I sewed unsupervised! (Uh, I'm 30, but a friend's been teaching me to sew for a while and all of the previous sewing was done under her supervision at her place.)

Anyway, here's my bag! (I've made two, but only have pictures of one, I guess.)

I bring it with to the grocery store all the time - it works great! Holds a bunch of stuff with no problems. Although I do still need to get better at my French seams. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009 02:23:47 PM by McBec27 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy!
Check out my wist!
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #752 on: January 23, 2009 05:23:14 PM »

Wow McBec - you did great!!  French seams can a little tricky in this project as they can get quite bulky and sometimes not all the fabric gets caught in the seams.  I've been sewing for 30 something years and I still sometimes stuff up the french seam in these bags.  Wink 

Keep sewing.....you have serious talent. 

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McBec27
« Reply #753 on: January 24, 2009 01:06:38 PM »

Thanks a bunch! I have a great time making these. I may eventually make a few up to donate to the local humane society. They sell stuff at the Farmer's Market and at craft sales. Oh, I guess I should make sure that would be ok first!? Since they'd ultimately be selling them and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy!
Check out my wist!
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #754 on: January 25, 2009 02:18:12 PM »

Thanks a bunch! I have a great time making these. I may eventually make a few up to donate to the local humane society. They sell stuff at the Farmer's Market and at craft sales. Oh, I guess I should make sure that would be ok first!? Since they'd ultimately be selling them and stuff.

No problem at all!!! 

I had someone take my tutorial, make it their own and sell it on Etsy.  I have no problem with anyone making the bags (because there's a lot of hard work that goes into actually making the bags), but when someone takes a free tutorial, makes it their own (by adding their own images etc.) then sells it basically with little or no effort because the steps are already worked out for them, it's really annoying.

Good luck with selling the bags - I'm sure you'll do really well!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
a97annol
« Reply #755 on: January 26, 2009 01:34:13 AM »

That is one really beautiful bag and also a terrific tutorial.

Not having English as my first language I sometimes find it a bit hard to follow written instructions, but this tutorial was just great and with the pictures really showing every detail - thank you - this is a keeper Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McBec27
« Reply #756 on: January 26, 2009 07:12:05 AM »

Thanks a bunch, QueenofDIY! I may have to whip up a few of these at some point, I'm sure they'd sell great at the craft sales and farmer's markets. Who doesn't need a bag to carry around all the stuff they buy! Smiley Oh, and sorry to hear about the whole etsy ordeal. That is really dishonest and just plain rude. I'd put a link to this tut on your shop or something like you mentioned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy!
Check out my wist!
yorkiemischief
« Reply #757 on: January 26, 2009 08:17:16 AM »

Hi! I made a bunch of these for gifts and everyone loved them! The friends/relatives who shop at Trader Joe's and other stores that encourage reusable bags wanted more than one!  I had a few of them put in "orders" for more.  I got a new sewing machine in October and your tutorial was one of the first I had found.  I was frustrated with those paper patterns you buy at the fabric store.  All of the sudden, after finding your tutorial and a few more, I realized that I can actually sew!  I am really enjoying it and slowly getting better at it!  I like to use the fancy quilt shop fabric for purses, but they can get pricey.  For these I use the clearance $1-$3 a yard fabric + a broadcloth lining. That makes them so much more affordable for gifts since I can make one for around $5! I like using the cheaper material for them because it tends to be thinner and I want them as thin as possible to fold or roll up.  That french seam really holds even with the thinner fabrics! 

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you! You've inspired me to create more than just these bags and maybe even create a tutorial or two! I just made a dog bed without a pattern that looks just like those $65 "snuggle balls" Smiley THANKS!

I do have a question to anyone who may have tried this - I did the handles both ways and I haven't decided what my preferences is yet.  However, I made a cute tote for my cousin (These are great for kids to take their PE clothes, etc. back and forth, just wash the bag too) Anyway I tried to make the handles the circle kind - connecting the same sides.  I made them longer and slightly thinner so they will fit over the shoulder.  Since you can't sew the handles and then turn the bag, I kind of faked it by sewing the top of the handles RST and then hand sewed the bottom, but I wasn't happy with the results.  Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this??  I can't post a picture because I don't have enough posts.  I'll come back with 10 posts and post pics of what I mean Smiley Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #758 on: January 28, 2009 10:13:22 AM »

I made them longer and slightly thinner so they will fit over the shoulder.  Since you can't sew the handles and then turn the bag, I kind of faked it by sewing the top of the handles RST and then hand sewed the bottom, but I wasn't happy with the results.  Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this?? 

Hi Yorkiemischief, I modified the pattern to include longer straps but kept the same width, thus I could sew the handle as directed.  Perhaps a wider width would help ya.  Here is a photo of my modified bags that fit on the shoulder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethgem
« Reply #759 on: January 28, 2009 12:31:57 PM »

This is so great! I'd thought of using a paper bag for a pattern, but not a plastic one. Thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The History of Hand Blown Glass
How to Make Better Flower Arrangements
How to Make Chalk on the Fly
How to Keep Buttons on
How to Use Leftover Wrapping Paper Scraps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...