A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 801683 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lucianeck
« Reply #740 on: January 09, 2009 09:34:47 AM »

realy nice!!!
thank you for the tutorial....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwitch
« Reply #741 on: January 14, 2009 04:21:09 PM »

Yeah!! I finally got pics  Roll Eyes

Thanks a million for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ICiNG is SwEET
« Reply #742 on: January 14, 2009 06:05:55 PM »

That's so rad! What a great idea. Thanks for all the pics too:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronzfrog
« Reply #743 on: January 15, 2009 05:40:17 AM »

I love that skull bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
madamx
« Reply #744 on: January 15, 2009 11:40:32 AM »

Thanks for all your support guys - it's really appreciated. 

Sadly though, I don't think mine is the only one.  This pattern also

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18042911

is strikingly similar to this bag here on Craftster:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=156560.0 which was made using this tutorial:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=42927.0 

Anyway, no more finger pointing or comments from me on this one.....just had to get this one out there as well

Angry Angry *sigh* Angry Angry

Sorry to hear about what happen with your bags but, copycats will always be waiting for the next best thing. People profit from knocking off designer bags. Once its in stores theres a copy made a week later.

To be frank, we (humans) have simply run out of original or even creative ideas. In my opinion this stagnant period began in the 90's and has affected the creative industries (movie, music, fashion industry) badly. Notice we have to go back to past periods for ideas, change one, two or even three things then call it a revamp.  I'm sure designers/creative types from the 1960's did not copy ideas from the 1930s (today we go as far as copying haircuts from several different eras and call it being original). 

Most of the popular bag shapes has been done to death. It's rare to see a bag that is totally original from shape to embellishments.  The cloth grocery bag tutorial you added on this site, has been featured in a Japanese craft magazine a few years back (I remember seeing it while at uni and thought it was an interesting idea to copy an already existing plastic bag shape and make it in cloth). The other bag (box bag) has been done before. Right now we crafters can only focus on sticking to the revamp option (adding embellishments that works) until we are inspired enough to come up with something original. I do admire those who are neat sewers with good detail placements (pockets, flap, buttons, using shirts, etc) on their bags.

My motto is to see yourself as an inventor rather than a designer.  There is a big difference between the two.

I have actually designed and created a product for the home but, can be used in various hospitality sectors that is totally original, functional and has never been done before (I did the research). I have held back from presenting the idea due to copycats and people with more money than I currently have who can market the product and dominate in the industry. My only option at the moment is to make things that are familiar to the public, make a name for myself and have enough capital behind me to expose this new and exciting product.

Your tutorials are very good and I would suggest you post things you dont have a problem with if there is a copycat lurking.

Look at Etsy, I heard people steal others bag ideas and profit greatly.  Its truly sad The best way to try to prevent this is by having your own website and selling to independent boutique, department store (if you can supply the units) or at craft fairs. This is a great way to buy you a little time to get recognition and make a profit.

M.x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #745 on: January 16, 2009 09:36:22 PM »

Thanks for your detailed reply Madamx....some fantastic advice I need to take on board.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: January 16, 2009 10:46:21 PM »

I just thought of something...if you take your tutorials down, won't it just help those pattern thiefs? With no free alternatives, alot of people will just say screw it and pay for the etsy pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Ashling
« Reply #747 on: January 17, 2009 07:29:08 AM »

I just thought of something...if you take your tutorials down, won't it just help those pattern thiefs? With no free alternatives, alot of people will just say screw it and pay for the etsy pattern.

I agree.  It seems like people who charge for free things are really ripping off the customer more than the person who made the original free tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CloudHuggers
Love-N-Stuff,

A division of Cloud Huggers Creations

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: January 17, 2009 10:32:00 AM »

This is awesome!  Thanks for posting it.  I'm always going into the library and needing a bag when I come out.  This way I will always have a bag with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love-N-Stuff,

-Donna-
www.cloudhuggers.com
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #749 on: January 17, 2009 01:12:57 PM »

Thanks Hellga - I never thought of it that way!  Or....perhaps I should put a listing for the tutorial in my own Etsy shop with the price tag as $0.00 or $0.01 if it won't let me put in zero and just direct it to the free Craftster tutorial!!!!  I don't really care that I have to pay 20c or whatever it is for the listing......my little bit of karma  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selecting Skin Tones in Photoshop CS6
How to Use Variable Stroke Width in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Use the Shape Builder Tool in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Save Artboards in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Perspective Drawing in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...