A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,311
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Singlet Style Shopping Bag w Pattern (like the plastic shopping bag)  (Read 856051 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bag , shopping_bag , craftster_best_of_2007 , reusable_grocery_bag , totebag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewFixated
« Reply #660 on: June 03, 2008 12:16:41 PM »

First I want to say thank you for posting this tutorial.  I have wanted to make these bags for months now.  Since I just entered my first swap and my partner said she would like one of these bags I made one for her.  Then, a bunch of ladies in my neighborhood saw the bag and wanted to make them too.  So we got together and I showed everyone how to make them. 

Because of that class I made 9 more in different stages of completion to demonstrate how they are made.  Here are 6 that I finished, I have given 2 away which are not pictured and have 2 more to finish.  I think I would like to have 2 more this size (they hold 2 gallons of milk very nicely) and then I will be making smaller ones for library books, lunch bags, and smaller picnic bags.

I find myself using these for everything, even a diaper bag.  (I hate diaper bags)  I do plan on altering this pattern to make a diaper bag until I can find that one perfect diaper bag pattern.  If you know of any smallish diaper bags that don't look like diaper bags let me know.  I do have the hillbilly diaper bag on my favorites and am considering making one.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

My Wists
Bohemian Flower Princess
« Reply #661 on: June 03, 2008 12:29:51 PM »

LOVE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: June 18, 2008 04:32:45 PM »

Okay - so I have made several of these bad boys already - I am working on a ton o them right now - I am assembly lining about 2 dozen of them...

But I have to share a tidbit of very useful information that my friend, Susan and I developed today...

See... I had this issue with the handles - I could not (and still can not) grasp the whole sew this then keep on sewing spot.. so what I have been doing when I make these is I put the two pieces together and sew the right sides together of whatever material is on the inside - then I reach up from under the bottom, through the strap and pull the other unsewn straps through the bottom and sew it up...

Well... I showed Susan this (since she didn't really grasp the whole way to do this either) and she said - why don't you sew them all together when you pull them through?  And well. oh my god!  It works!

Sooooooo... when I am now sewing the tops of the handles - I have made a bit of a change - I reach up through the strap and pull the other 3 layers through the bottom making the handles kind of inside out, straighten it all out on the end and then sew one seam right through all 4 layers - viola - perfect seaming, no weird puckering from the lining and the outer fabric not being sewn at the exact spot - and it is just fantastic and perfect each time!

I can take a picture of this and do a mini tutorial on this amazing time and sanity saving step.  It really is a lifesaver for me - especially since I was just not getting it and was going about the strap sewing process the best way that I could - but this step - oh my god. So simple and so perfect each and every time!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
pvwon

"Que me amat, amet et canem meum." -Saint Bernard

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 18, 2008 04:44:27 PM »

A mini-tut would be great.  I haven't made any of these yet because the  handles looked a little difficult.  I wanted a quick solution to plastic bags, so thrifted canvas bags have worked.  I'd love some personalized bags though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well behaved women rarely make history.
just_lisa
« Reply #664 on: June 19, 2008 06:41:20 AM »

Definitely post some pics for us to see! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowlegs
« Reply #665 on: June 19, 2008 11:29:15 AM »

yes please, photos would be lovely, I have made the bag and did struggle with the handle bit, but I am new making anything more then a patchwork cat bed lol, the bag is wonderful, I have had coments about it at the supermarket
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 19, 2008 01:13:38 PM »

Please show us this craftydeb!  I think with photos I might feel brave enough to try this!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
Sanity8080
« Reply #667 on: June 19, 2008 03:50:08 PM »

I was struggling with the handles too, until I realized I had missed a step when I read the directions and now suddenly it makes sense....

I'd love to see the tut on how deb does it, though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
PattiPetty
Grammee

Wish there were more than 24 hrs in a day

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 20, 2008 07:53:49 AM »

Dear Queen,
Thanks much for sharing your experience with us. I HOPE I can follow your instructions--I am age and blonde impaired.
P L E A S E tell me about your lovely little dog. What breed? Soooo sweet looking.
Many thanks,
Patti
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In life, pain is mandatory
but misery is optional
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #669 on: June 20, 2008 03:56:47 PM »

Hi Patti,

The picture isn't actually my dog but he looks exactly the same.  It's a King Charles Cavalier.  It's a smallish dog with the males being quite alot bigger than the females (generally).  They are an excellent family dog - especially with children.  The only downside to them is the hair.  It drives me insane.  They lose alot of hair and it clumps on the floor - YUK. 

You should be fine following the directions although craftydeb seems to have come up with an easier solution to the handles.  I'd love to see how it's done - thanks craftydeb!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make It Simple: Bedazzled Collar
Kourtney Kardashian Is Auctioning Off Her High End Fashion on Ebay
The Pantsuits Both You and Hillary Should Be Wearing
Fashion with Project Runway All Stars Winner
High Street Edit: How To Wear Platform Shoes
Latest Blog Articles
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...