A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sir Rumpert (lots of pics)- now with pattern!  (Read 10106 times)
Tags for this thread: where_the_wild_things_are , monster , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2007 12:18:07 PM »

After seeing what the topic for this month was, I got super excited.  The idea of knitting a cute little monster seemed really appealing to me.  Being that I work in a library and that I absolutely love the book, Where the Wild Things Are , I decided to make my monster a tribute to that loveable book.  I don't know if there is an official name for this monster, but mine I have dubbed Sir Rumpert, in honor of the famed "wild rumpus" of the book. 

Thus, may I present, Sir Rumpert!  (I'm way too excited about this)

With his favorite book...

On a wild rumpus in the yard...

Chilling out after the wild rumpus...

I hope you like him.  I'm absolutely in love with him.

Now, for the facts:

-The yarns were acrylics that were in my stash.
-I used felt for the eyes, paws, claws, teeth and horns.  I drew the pupils and some of the facial details with permanent marker
-Most of him is knit in the round.
- I stuffed him with fiber fill for the most part, with beans in his feet and legs so he can sorta stand.
-I lined the inside of the body with felt (going back, I would probably double strand this are like I did the legs and head)
-the needles were US 10.5 double points (mostly because that was what I had)
-the pattern was completely my own, but the monster which was my inspiration was created by Maurice Sendak in Where the Wild Things Are.
-It took me about two weeks to finish him, but I was working on several other projects at the time.

Now, I'll go back to staring at my lovely monster and showing pictures of him to anyone who will look (I told you I was too excited)

Update:
Here's a rough pattern:

Everything was knit in the round on size 10 1/2 dpns, with worsted weight yarn double stranded, but that was just what I had on me.  He could easily be made with smaller/larger needles or different weights of yarn.  I wasn't worried about gauge, since size didn't matter too much. 
If anything's isn't clear on the pattern, or if there's a mistake, let me know and I'll try to fix it.  This is my first time writing a pattern.

Legs:
  The texture is created from combining seed st and 1x1 ribbing. 
CO 12 sts
(Seed st for two rows, 1x1 ribbing for 1 row) Repeat this pattern for about 2 inches.
The feet I made like mini socks.  I took the back 5 sts or so and worked stockinette on those sts for a few rows, then picked up sts for the gusset (I forgot to turn the heel)  and knit in the round again, now in stockinette.  I decreased (K 1, K2tog) every other row until there were 6 sts left, then Kitchener stitched them together.

Body:
The lower body (CO 40 sts) has the same seed st/ ribbing combination for about two inches, then I switched yarns to the orange colors for the sweater, working 3 rows of the boucle yarn and two rows of the plain yarn to make the stripe pattern.  (the sweater is all stockinette.  I used single stranded yarn in the one I made, but I would recommend double stranded or the stuffing shows through)  At the neck I worked decreases (K1, K2tog), every other row 2x (20sts) then bind off.

Arms
CO 12 sts, work stripe pattern in stockinette.  I don't remember exactly how I decreased for the hands, but I worked the decreases on the side to make the hands somewhat flat.    Decrease til there are 6 sts left, Kitchener st to finish. 

Head
The head is basically an oblong sphere (which isn't technically a sphere, I guess) in stockinette, with the fringe added on in finishing.  I knitted both colors at the same time, stranding the color that wasn't in use on the wrong side. 
CO 20 sts in black (all stockinette in round)
K 1 row
K1, Kfb (increase made) til end of row, 1 row (30 sts)
K 1 row
K 1, Kfb til end of row, 1 row (40 sts)

Then add in the beige for the face.  It's like a tube til you get to the top of the head.  The beige covers 8 sts at the beginning.  Roughly it would be like this charted

X=black, O=beige
(front 1/2 of head)
(top)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXOOOOOOOOXXXXXX
XXXXXOOOOOOOOXXXXXX
XXXXOOOOOOOOOOXXXXX
XXXXOOOOOOOOOOXXXXX
XXXOOOOOOOOOOOOXXXX
XXXOOOOOOOOOOOOXXXX
XXXOOOOOOOOOOOOXXXX
XXXOOOOOOOOOOOOXXXX
XXXOOOOOOOOOOOOXXXX
XXXXOOOOOOOOOOXXXXX
XXXXOOOOOOOOOOXXXXX
XXXXXOOOOOOOOXXXXXX
XXXXXOOOOOOOOXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I don't remember exactly how I decreased at the top of the head, but I think it was K1, K2tog every other row til there were less than ten sts left, then I left a long tail, threaded that through the remaining sts and pulled it tight, knotting it on the inside (like the top of a hat)

The tail I knit as a rectangle in st st, added fringe and sewed it together as a tube.  I don't remember the number of sts, but it's really easy to improvise (and if you really want to make a gauge swatch, this part would work well as one)

Finishing:
Sew legs to lower body, stuff arms with fiber fill, sew to shoulders.  Stuff legs (I used beans to weigh it down, but fiber fill is fine too)  Stuff body with fiber fill.  Cut white felt triangles for claws, sew them on with sewing needle and thread.  Cut brown or black felt circles for paw pads, blanket stitch them on with sewing needle and thread.  Add fringe to head.  Embroider nose.  Cut yellow circles for eyes, draw pupils on, blanket st them to head.  Draw or embroider facial lines and mouth.  Cut white felt triangle for teeth and sew them on.  Cut white felt triangles (large) for horns.  Sew the up and sew them to head.  Stuff head with fiber fill.  Sew head to body.  Sew tail to body.
Now go out and have a wild rumpus!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007 02:18:28 PM by KittyCreates » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
TreadmillKnitter
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007 12:22:57 PM »

that is so far beyond awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny

Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TreadmillKnitter

Blog:
http://treadmillknitter.blogspot.com/

Her face is a map of the world...and you can tell that she's a beautiful girl.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007 12:24:18 PM »

Oh. My. God. I absolutely LOVE that book! He looks exactly like the character!!!

You rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
bluesmom

See my work on Ravelry: ILoveMath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007 12:37:42 PM »

You absolutely ROCK!  I was hoping someone would adapt a wild rumpus in this challenge!!!!  My students would go nuts for one of these dolls.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007 12:56:55 PM »

You arent overly excited, your completely wonderfully amazing! I love the eyes, they're so expressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
arualms
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007 04:12:44 PM »

He turned out awesom!
I hadn't looked at the book in ages, but your monster brought evrything back in a second.
I am sure there are a lot of kids out there who would love to have their own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SavoryxPie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007 06:23:04 PM »

Oh. My. Gosh. You = <3
Thats the cutest thing ever! My cousin is obsessed with that book, and if you could post a pattern...eternal gratitude? Cheesy souper awsome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodejl
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007 07:04:03 PM »

You have done an amazing job!!!!  Wow!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Morwen
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007 03:40:22 AM »

Wonderful job, it's so cute.

I saw the picture before I read the text and loved it right away - Where the Wild Things Are was one of my favourite books as a kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007 09:10:34 AM »

Oh. My. Gosh. You = <3
Thats the cutest thing ever! My cousin is obsessed with that book, and if you could post a pattern...eternal gratitude? Cheesy souper awsome.

I didn't keep the best of notes as I was making him, but I'll post a general pattern as soon as I get it written up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
LA Girl Brand Concealer Product Review
Barbie Lips Makeup Tutorial
Makeup Tips for a Fresh Fall Look
Hair and Makeup for Back to School
Everyday Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...