A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frosted Glass Tutorial -- How to make frosted glassware with Armor Etch!  (Read 312426 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glass_etching , armour_etch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2003 07:01:25 AM »

My project didn't go so well - I was trying to make votive candle holders.  I think I didn't put the etching cream on thick enough, and the glasses might have been too cold.

Plus, I probably could have left the etching cream on longer.

I was able to salvage two of the glass votives, but they weren't good enough to give as gifts, as intended.  I think I've got a snapshot of them with my Christmas pics - hopefully I can share the best of the worst.

The snowflake stencils I created turned out really nice, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kawaii

I'm a kitty! Meow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2003 08:01:37 AM »

okay, so i'm finally able to post. i was trying to be all hush-hush about the things i was making for channukah/christmas/winter holiday, as a lot of the ppl i know come here to look for ideas... anyhow, i got some tumblers at big lots for like $.79 apiece, and etched l33t sayings into them for a friend, like "j00 s0 r0x0r" and "ph34r my l33t sk1llz"... i didn't have any issues actually doing the etching - in fact, i got the last bottle of armor etch at the local craft store...  Tongue
unfortunately, i didn't get any pics before i had to send them off, but she promises to send me pics of them this weekend, which i will post if anyone is interested... i'll probably have them up on my website at some time or another.

thanks for the awesome idea, styro. you kick ass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

>^_^<
AllAmericanReject
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2004 08:40:54 AM »

I LOVE IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2004 06:28:39 PM »

I thought I'd show off a recent glass-etching project, since I learned about the technique here at Craftster!  I made a set of "burn, baby, burn!" tea lights:

I made the flame borders using sticky vinyl, by hand-drawing the design and then cutting it out with an Exacto knife.  Time consuming!  I'd like to find some way to reuse stencils for etching - has anyone tried cling vinyl instead of the sticky kind (which seems to lose its stickiness after one application)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
leah
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2004 06:43:18 PM »

I made the flame borders using sticky vinyl, by hand-drawing the design and then cutting it out with an Exacto knife.  Time consuming!  I'd like to find some way to reuse stencils for etching - has anyone tried cling vinyl instead of the sticky kind (which seems to lose its stickiness after one application)?

That's a really interesting idea! I'll have to try that ...

You'd probably just have to be careful when sponging the etching cream off the vinyl to reuse it later.

I sell sheets of this vinyl at my website:
http://craftastic.com/laptop.html

I sell them as laptop protector/decoration sheets but you could totally just buy em and cut them up. I bet they're available from some sort of local shop as well... Maybe a local place that does promotional merch like stickers or maybe a sign making shop.

Awesome job by the way!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004 06:44:17 PM by leah - the craftster admin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2004 05:05:11 AM »

Okay, I'm going to experiment with the cling vinyl and I'll let you know how it works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2004 08:51:24 AM »

I thought I'd show off a recent glass-etching project, since I learned about the technique here at Craftster!  I made a set of "burn, baby, burn!" tea lights:

These are fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2004 08:53:44 AM »

those are great! awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jazminecat
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2004 11:56:46 AM »

Grin

Thank you to everyone who posted to this thread!  I made AWESOME martini glasses for our new years eve party, each with a different word on them - saucy, smooth, coy, flirt, etc - and everyone LOVED them!  It took my partner and I maybe an hour and a half to do 20 glasses, and we got raves about them! They looked absolutely fab with beautiful cosmopolitans in them!  I'll try to post one of the digital pix soon.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2004 12:13:50 PM »

Thank you to everyone who posted to this thread!  I made AWESOME martini glasses for our new years eve party, each with a different word on them - saucy, smooth, coy, flirt, etc - and everyone LOVED them!  It took my partner and I maybe an hour and a half to do 20 glasses, and we got raves about them! They looked absolutely fab with beautiful cosmopolitans in them!  I'll try to post one of the digital pix soon.  

This is such a great idea! It's kind of like the wine charm idea where everyone knows what glass is theirs:
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=180
but built right into the glass instead!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Light Eyes Properly in a Movie or Photo
How to Take Better Pictures Part 1
How to Clean a Digital SLR Sensor
What Blower Brush is Best for Your Camera
Zeeion Blower Fails Anti Static Testing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...