A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frosted Glass Tutorial -- How to make frosted glassware with Armor Etch!  (Read 253880 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glass_etching , armour_etch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

styrofoamkitty

Gee, Ricky, I'm real sorry your mom blew up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2003 05:25:10 AM »

I'm a little frustrated with this etching business. I'm really excited about it, but the smallest bottle of etching creme that Ben Franklin Crafts carries is a $32 bottle. I just don't have $32 to spend on etching creme right now, so does anyone know of a place online maybe that sells it a bit cheaper?

I bought mine at Michael's just a few days ago, and the guy who helped me find it said to tell the cashier i wanted to use their 40% coupon. Perhaps their sale is still going? Smiley
I just wish we had a Michael's around here... Sad

Weird, the Ben Franklins here in Richmond all sell the etching cream in 2 sizes:  the $9.99 size and the $18.99 size.  Are you talking US$ or CDN$?  Maybe ask the clerks if you can order a smaller bottle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2003 06:16:28 AM »

I finally got aroud to etching something BUT have no clue
how to post the pic.

Can anyone help me...please.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodelicious
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2003 10:42:38 AM »

You can also paint glass objects (or ceramic) with colored paints made specifically for this purpose--you have to let them dry for 24 hours and then put them in the oven (for less than an hour).  I did a set last night with initials on them for a christmas present with some nice Libbey wine glasses I found at a dollar store.  I will have to post them when I'm finished.  I've seen some finished projects that look like blown glass Cheesy  You can also buy a medium that will give you a crackled glass look.  There are lots of different brands--You can find them at Joann's or Michael's and sometimes at Art supply stores.  Read the labels sometimes they look just like ordinary acrylic craft paint bottles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lekkner
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2003 08:20:52 PM »

i made a few glasses today for xmas gifts for my boyfriend's parents:

i was having trouble with streaking, so i left the cream on for about an hour. no streaks! also, applying it like this helps too: brush on up & down, then left to right, then up & down again, with very thick layers each time!!
i used some holigram-y stickers from michael's. his mom rides horses, so there's horses on hers, and for his dad's i used sharks (because i like sharks). the glasses came from the thrift store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lekkner.com
...turning wack into wearable
http://www.CraftersForCritters.com
...shop independent, help animals in need
time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2003 08:57:00 PM »

I'm a little frustrated with this etching business. I'm really excited about it, but the smallest bottle of etching creme that Ben Franklin Crafts carries is a $32 bottle. I just don't have $32 to spend on etching creme right now, so does anyone know of a place online maybe that sells it a bit cheaper?

I bought mine at Michael's just a few days ago, and the guy who helped me find it said to tell the cashier i wanted to use their 40% coupon. Perhaps their sale is still going? Smiley
I just wish we had a Michael's around here... Sad

Weird, the Ben Franklins here in Richmond all sell the etching cream in 2 sizes:  the $9.99 size and the $18.99 size.  Are you talking US$ or CDN$?  Maybe ask the clerks if you can order a smaller bottle?
US$. And that was the smallest size they had of true etching creme, the next size up was $50. I looked at the dip 'n' etch stuff, but the small bottle didn't seem right for anything other than beads or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
styrofoamkitty

Gee, Ricky, I'm real sorry your mom blew up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2003 07:56:58 AM »

etching cream online... (click for linkage--or go to www.etchworld.com and click "glass etching supplies")

their smallest bottle 3oz is $7.50US.  That's pretty decent!
 Cheesy
hope this helps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orora

Insert witticism here

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2003 02:54:25 PM »

This is fabulous!  My Craft Group is definitely doing these for our next session (to be hosted by me).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2003 03:15:36 PM »

styrofoamangel-
You are god. Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
snoopendous
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2003 04:26:38 PM »

i made a few glasses today for xmas gifts for my boyfriend's parents:

i was having trouble with streaking, so i left the cream on for about an hour. no streaks! also, applying it like this helps too: brush on up & down, then left to right, then up & down again, with very thick layers each time!!
i used some holigram-y stickers from michael's. his mom rides horses, so there's horses on hers, and for his dad's i used sharks (because i like sharks). the glasses came from the thrift store.

those look really nice!  I had a problem when I did it the first time because it did not seem to be very etched after I'd left it on for 15 minutes, so I'll take your suggestion of leaving it on for an hour and see how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meri

... just this girl ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2003 04:48:52 PM »

Since you work at Michael's, can you answer a question for me?  Do they sell Chinese take-out cartons like these at The Container Store?  

I don't work at Michael's, but I shop there often enough. Smiley I have in fact seen them at Michael's, though generally only in a frosty-semi-opaque plastic, and not in colors.

Hope this is of some help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Christmas Decorations
How to Put Together a Black Collage
How to Decide on Your Scrapbook Layout
A Guide to Hybrid Scrapbooking
How to Choose a Scrapbook Layout
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...