A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frosted Glass Tutorial -- How to make frosted glassware with Armor Etch!  (Read 254905 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glass_etching , armour_etch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xxXXkindelXXxx
highway robber

i want to be the girl with the most cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2005 09:31:04 PM »

i love this idea, i had no idea etch armor could be this fun! i work at michaels and after years(and years) of putting it on the shelf and directing people to it i never really thought it was so easy.
as far as clearance goes, ive worked at 3 stores in 3 diff. places and ive never known it to be in a case! i tihink the actual creme was in a case at one of my stores but the other products were just on the shelf in the glass paint. thats crazeee that its actually that illegal in places. wowies, whoda thought.
well hopefully in the near future i'll do something like this. i think ill make my boyfriend some <3 glasses for v-day, seeing as i have no pressie for him.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

< let's get something done, too much idle time is wasted. Let's cut to the chase, and don't be afraid!> A.O.M.
Shes Automatic
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2005 08:28:42 PM »

Wow those are the coolest glasses ever! I am definetly gonna try to make those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're the metaphors I can't create to comprehend this curse that I call love..
l3tsg3tn3rdy
« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2005 02:07:36 AM »

Oh wow! Yours are SO amazing! I must try this!: ) : ) I will get some stuff tomorrow! YAY Cheesy

Mendy
www.mendysart.com
www.livejournal.com/users/mendysartdotcom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soapstar
« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2005 09:37:27 PM »

They are great....I'm going to try it on my bathroom window.
BTW....etched glass is dishwasher safe....the etching cream actually
"eats" into the glass and then it dissolves in water.   As for different
colors......buy your glass in the color you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silloh_77

If anyone needs me: I'll be at the thrift store...

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2005 06:15:12 AM »

What happens if it didn't entirely etch right the first time?
I am making a bowl with hearts on it and when i put the cream on, it seemed kind of "chunky" like part of it had dried.
It kind of looks neat, but there are parts where it didn't totally work.
Is it worth it to buy more cream and re-etch the thing again or will i be wasting my $$$$$?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mizbehaving
« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2005 01:37:15 PM »

Silloh,  how weird...  Did you clean your glass first with rubbing alchohol?  They say to do that first to get any grease or dirt off of it.  Another thing is to spread the cream from all directions (Like left to right, then right to left, then top to bottom etc) to make sure it's all evenly covered.

Depending on how thick your glass is would make a difference on if you should re-etch it or not.  If it's thin I wouldn't suggest it.

My etching cream has little globs in it too...  I assumed it was just some sort of chemical reaction stuff in the cream?  Not sure though.

For different colors I've heard that you can add Powdered Pearls pigments (Like PearlEx) to your cream, mix it really well and it will leave a tint of the color to the etching.  I tried this one a glass but I don't think I used nearly enough powdered pearls as it didn't have any kind of effect on the outcome.  I have no idea the ratio you should use but maybe it does really work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The voices in my head hate you!
Alex_
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2005 12:28:13 PM »

Hi,

i called the german manufactor of the etching creme and they told me to put the plastik bottle into 60C water and wait a bit, i did that an the crystalines in my etching creme were not entirely all gone but a lot smaller then before.
This procedure is also recommended to reactivate the acid power, but this trick doesnt work too often.
i am not sure if my cream is chemical exact to yours oversea but i guess the main components will be the same.

and here is my etched glas:

for more pictures go to: http://www.weltrevolution.org/works/basteln/glas/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javede
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2005 08:58:28 AM »

The glasses look really cool!
I've been looking for etching creme around here(Germany) but all I found is this frosted something, which isn't exactly the same. Could you tell me the brand or where you brought it?

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my knitting blog:
http://orangmerajut.blogspot.com/

personal swap friendly
Alex_
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2005 11:51:41 AM »

yes, finding that chemical was really really dificult i called every craft shop in my area, and everybody heard about it but nobody knew where to get it...
finally i found this manufacturer www.tgk.de and looked up the closest dealer.

The chemical for "frosted" is maybe the wrong one... i guess it means "satinieren" and is nothing more like a dull color you apply, but this chemical reallly burns in the glas.

I hope that helps,
Alex
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peggysheehan
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2005 06:42:37 PM »

Alex:

I was wondering how come your glasses appear to be colored when there done, but during the process look clear/normal?  Please explain.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mulligatawny Recipe
Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe
Learn About Indian Food
Fragrant Thai Curry Dinner
Wood Ear, Gold Needle, and Egg Stir Fry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...