A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frosted Glass Tutorial -- How to make frosted glassware with Armor Etch!  (Read 247868 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glass_etching , armour_etch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tammy 123
« Reply #520 on: May 31, 2010 05:25:18 AM »

This is actually very creative and looks very beautiful and it is a kind of creativity that adds style to your dine and makes it look very attractive, we can create such designs on different glasswares like glass dishes, plates and even bowls to give that look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCuttingEtch
« Reply #521 on: August 03, 2010 07:30:37 AM »

I recently started doing this. Looks like its really popular, and the possibilities are endless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

she goes la
« Reply #522 on: October 14, 2010 05:48:39 AM »

hey!
i'm looking for a way to free hand paint using a similar technique, do you guys know any?

i'm looking to get something like those (tho those are engraved)

thanks a bunch Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #523 on: October 18, 2010 08:09:32 PM »

You can use a rotary hand tool like a Dremel and etch on glass, if you do not want to make a stencil and chemically etch with Armour etch. 

If you want to paint, you can use the permanent oven bakeable paints, like Pebeo Vitrea or Porcelaine and paint on the glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
she goes la
« Reply #524 on: October 19, 2010 01:23:16 AM »

If you want to paint, you can use the permanent oven bakeable paints, like Pebeo Vitrea or Porcelaine and paint on the glass.

do those come in white too? (cos i've seen many marker like but they're all colorful)

thanks so much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #525 on: October 19, 2010 06:47:50 AM »

Get the paints in the bottles, they do come in light colours, including white.  The markers are more limited in colours available.

Here is the link to their glass paint - Vitrea 160 - the colour chart is in the lower left in red; it has a silver shimmer paint, a glossy white, and a frosted white.  It is more translucent than the Porcelaine 150:

http://en.pebeo.com/index.php/Creative-leisure/Decorate-surfaces/Vitrea-160

It will probably suit your needs more than the Porcelaine 150.  They also sell a diluant for their paints too, so if you want it more translucent, or thinner for a finer draw, you can thin it.

Here is the Porcelaine 150 link
http://en.pebeo.com/index.php/Creative-leisure/Decorate-surfaces/Porcelaine-150

The Gallery Glass and other paints like that in the craft store won't do, because they are surface decoration.  This paint (and I am sure there are other brands, but this is what I have used and am happy with consistently), once baked, is permanent enough to wash.  I am not sure about the food safety though, so look into that before putting it where food/drink may touch.  Until it is baked, it is water soluble.  I have used another bakeable paint, but I bought that years and years ago off a shopping channel and have not seen it since.  But it was not as good quality, and would bubble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
she goes la
« Reply #526 on: October 19, 2010 07:32:07 AM »

Get the paints in the bottles, they do come in light colours, including white.  The markers are more limited in colours available.

Here is the link to their glass paint - Vitrea 160 - the colour chart is in the lower left in red; it has a silver shimmer paint, a glossy white, and a frosted white.  It is more translucent than the Porcelaine 150:

http://en.pebeo.com/index.php/Creative-leisure/Decorate-surfaces/Vitrea-160

It will probably suit your needs more than the Porcelaine 150.  They also sell a diluant for their paints too, so if you want it more translucent, or thinner for a finer draw, you can thin it.

Here is the Porcelaine 150 link
http://en.pebeo.com/index.php/Creative-leisure/Decorate-surfaces/Porcelaine-150

The Gallery Glass and other paints like that in the craft store won't do, because they are surface decoration.  This paint (and I am sure there are other brands, but this is what I have used and am happy with consistently), once baked, is permanent enough to wash.  I am not sure about the food safety though, so look into that before putting it where food/drink may touch.  Until it is baked, it is water soluble.  I have used another bakeable paint, but I bought that years and years ago off a shopping channel and have not seen it since.  But it was not as good quality, and would bubble.

oh my!
do you rock or do you rock? Cheesy

thanks for the so specific answer. now that i know exactly what i'm looking for - it'll be much easier trying to find them locally!

eta:
i've seen this note about the paint:
"Only the areas not intended to be put in contact with food must be decorated. "
- doesnt that mean that it isnt really food safe? or that food of some kind may take it off?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010 07:39:36 AM by she goes la » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #527 on: October 19, 2010 06:42:09 PM »

I would presume it means it is not completely food safe.  It probably can be chipped off, but I have not seen that happen myself (I have one coaster that I painted proably about 8 years ago and it's fine and I am not the most gentle person sometimes).  So if you want to paint glasses or something, maybe leave a half inch lip around the top, and if painting bowls, mugs, do the outside only.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
she goes la
« Reply #528 on: October 20, 2010 01:32:12 AM »

I would presume it means it is not completely food safe.  It probably can be chipped off, but I have not seen that happen myself (I have one coaster that I painted proably about 8 years ago and it's fine and I am not the most gentle person sometimes).  So if you want to paint glasses or something, maybe leave a half inch lip around the top, and if painting bowls, mugs, do the outside only.

yeah, i guess that if i'm gonna do glass - it doesnt really matter which side would i paint over Smiley
i cant wait to try it!

how about the porcelain? is it kinda the same thing just for porcelain? like washing-safe, but not really suppose to be in the mug itself?
i havent decided yet which way to go ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #529 on: October 20, 2010 04:48:04 AM »

Yes, if I remember correctly - so paint the outside of mugs, leaving a rim, bowls, the very edges of plates, etc, unless they are decoration only.  This can also be used on metal, though it may collect into droplets on some surfaces, so you may need to sand so that the paint has something to grip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Brush Panel on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Text Layout Framework in Adobe Flash Professional CS5
How to Use the XFL File Format in Adobe Flash Professional CS5
How to Use the Decorative Drawing Tool in Adobe Flash Professional CS5
How to Use the Components Inspector on Adobe Flash Professional CS5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...