A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frosted Glass Tutorial -- How to make frosted glassware with Armor Etch!  (Read 254044 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glass_etching , armour_etch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: December 12, 2007 11:44:16 AM »

I stickied this tut so it will be easier to find.

Great tut! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #481 on: December 12, 2007 03:59:49 PM »

This tutorial must be one of the best things I've ever learned from craftster- etched glasses make awesome easy gifts!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 15, 2007 11:54:09 PM »

Great tutorial! I still have yet to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 16, 2007 09:43:45 AM »

Another cool tip can be found here -- she used fabric paint to make stencils and it worked great!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=211082.msg2264466#msg2264466
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
95MONTROSE
« Reply #484 on: January 01, 2008 12:19:56 PM »

I have been a closet reader for some time and finally joined.  I just wanted to say thanks for all the info and Happy New Year to all.  My New Years Resolution is to try some of the projects you have been doing!   Cheesy   Happy New Year![/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
photochickkds

"I love swaps!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2008 02:20:51 PM »

this is sooo awesome however it looks waaay too easy... its completely safe to drink from these after they are washed? it just looks way to easy to do this lol and id LOVE to try it but im worried! i dont want anything to be dangerous to drink from if i give to family and friends as gifts! does it literally etch the glass just cause of the chemicals? help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel when I'm old I'll look at you and know the world was beautiful"

MAJOR ETSY SALE!
HELP ME CLEAR OUT MY STOCK!!! EVERYTHING MAJORLY DISCOUNTED!!!
www.redsundesigns.e tsy.com
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2008 07:53:51 PM »

this is sooo awesome however it looks waaay too easy... its completely safe to drink from these after they are washed? it just looks way to easy to do this lol and id LOVE to try it but im worried! i dont want anything to be dangerous to drink from if i give to family and friends as gifts! does it literally etch the glass just cause of the chemicals? help!

It IS easy, and fun and YES it's safe.  The etching cream is an acid -- you don't want to let it sit on your skin or you will get a surface burn -- but it washes off completely with soap and water!   Wink  Have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
photochickkds

"I love swaps!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: June 27, 2008 01:11:16 AM »

thanks so much! it just seemed like this was too easy for something that looks like you could have bought it at a store and im sooo excited to try it..i only hope i can find it in store tommorrow! lol thanks so much! i was just worried about toxic crap and what not and not being too safe to drink from since recently in my house we had a resin scare( the spoon i use to measure resin was mixed with the regular dishes accidentally in the dishwasher and then put away with the dishes...and we had eaten off of those so needless to say we dialed poison control pretty fast!)  since then im uber careful !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel when I'm old I'll look at you and know the world was beautiful"

MAJOR ETSY SALE!
HELP ME CLEAR OUT MY STOCK!!! EVERYTHING MAJORLY DISCOUNTED!!!
www.redsundesigns.e tsy.com
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #488 on: June 27, 2008 05:13:14 AM »

This tutorial really is awesome.  I've etched SO many things since I read this... it's the perfect gift.  I've etched glasses for everything from weddings to graduation parties to teacher gifts.  They're so impressive, yet so easy!

And definitely dishwasher safe and safe to drink out of. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #489 on: August 20, 2008 09:40:57 PM »

I would like to make something similar to the items Etsy seller Hunterglass has in his shop here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=53666

I absolutely love his stuff. He sandblasts his things, but since etching cream seems to be an easier route, I'd like to try that. I think probably what I'll try first is making shot glasses with flames on them, and paint them red, yellow, orange, or a combination of those colors. And can anyone tell if the designs are etched on the inside or outside of the glass? I found one that looks like it's on the outside, but inside might be more fun - you can see that it's there, but can't feel it. Then again, I like to feel etched stuff...I guess I'll make up my mind on that later. Cheesy

I have a difficult time coming up with gifts for my brother - and men in general, although most of the rest of the men I buy gifts for don't drink, so shot glasses probably wouldn't be the best idea Cheesy - so when I saw these, I thought, hey, if I can pull that off, that might actually be something that would be met with some enthusiasm.

So, I need to know how to color the glass once I've etched it. I've searched this topic for the word color, and now have some questions on the little I was able to find.

For different colors I've heard that you can add Powdered Pearls pigments (Like PearlEx) to your cream, mix it really well and it will leave a tint of the color to the etching.  I tried this one a glass but I don't think I used nearly enough powdered pearls as it didn't have any kind of effect on the outcome.  I have no idea the ratio you should use but maybe it does really work.

This sounds really neat, and  I just bought 24 trial-size jars of Pearl Ex powders for a different project. I searched the internet, but found no specific instructions for this technique. Does anyone know more about this? I'd need to know how much to use, because the amounts I have are pretty small. I wouldn't want to use up all of one color, especially if it wasn't something I couldn't buy more of locally. I don't mind buying a larger quantity, but I do want to have an idea of how much I'll need before running to the craft store.

You can buy glass paints though, that you bake in your oven, between 300 and  325 degrees for half an hour, which should work for adding color. ( I use Pebeo's Porcelaine 150 paint on tiles and plan to try Vitrea 160 on glass--says it's dishwasher safe!  http://www.pebeo.com, http://www.pebeo.com/asp/prod/catalogue.asp?lang=us&c=4)

Before I found this advice, I'd searched the internet for dishwasher-safe paints here:
http://www.violtan.com/articles/paints_glasswc_en.php

There are several different kinds, and I was hoping someone here who had used different kinds might be able to give me some advice on brands and whether they might work with etching. Could I etch, clean the glass, and then apply the paints to the etched part? Do you think that would provide the results I'm looking for? And does anyone happen to know how well they blend? Would the paints be appropriate for an airbrush? I know absolutely nothing about airbrushing, but I'm guessing if the paint is really thick, airbrushing and/or blending wouldn't be an option. Also, if I painted the inside of a glass, would that be okay as far as safety is concerned?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Santa Maria Tri Tip
Mandarin Orange Salad
Cheese Platters and Pairings
How to Make Corn Fritters
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...