A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frosted Glass Tutorial -- How to make frosted glassware with Armor Etch!  (Read 254974 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glass_etching , armour_etch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MeOwZa
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2003 11:16:10 AM »

i got my circles at ac moore (when you put them on BE SURE they are totally flat, no bubbles or wrinkles.) i was a bit careless and some of the etching creme got underneath and made some of the circles look ugly

the smaller glasses i did with the circles, i frosted the whole thing. my advice is to be through and even and to put masking tape around the lip of the glass, you don't want the frosting all over the mouth area or inside the cup!

i like the idea of not wrapping them... if i come up with something spectacular i will be sure to post!

doing more frosting tonight, will post pics when they are done!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impossiblecalm
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2003 07:14:02 PM »

i had my first attempt at glass etching tonight! good thing i had a 40% off coupon at michael's because the smallest jar was over $20 !!!!!
i used an old jelly jar i use as a juice glass

i got a set of 8 really nice glasses at Ross for only $5 !!! i'm going to make one for everybody in my bf's family with each person's name
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2003 07:25:32 PM »

Smiley Smiley Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy

Hey -- your juicy glass looks great! I just bought some Armour Etch at the Art Store in Georgetown and am trying to think of what to make.  This project is so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snoopendous
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2003 07:30:01 PM »

Actually, I forgot to put in my last post that I was thinking about using my new Armour Etch to etch light bulbs.

I was wondering if anyone had ever done that or if you think it would look cool.  And what about colored light bulbs (like red?) Would the Armour etch work there??  It might look cool to etch a colored light bulb and then plug it in....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anniekate
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2003 10:18:58 PM »

LOVE the "Spellcheck" glass. Smiley

Well we tried this tonight, taping off a square with electrical tape and then putting a star sticker in the middle. About 3/4 of it came out really well, but the lower left hand part of the thing isn't etched at all. We think it was insufficient cream in that area. Also, one of the points has an uncrisp edge, probably from not sticking it down firmly enough or something.

We also tried doing a stripe, which we left on for just five minutes, and it looked just as etched as the fifteen minute star attempt, possibly even a little better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eva_jae

The look of death... boo!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2003 12:37:26 AM »

It's a little difficult to see from here, but i did one side "half empty" and the other side "half full" to go with my moods Smiley

I also made a glass for each member of my family with "my ____" (i.e. dad, brother) and somewhere else in the design I chose a positive word that described that person, like "ambitious," "spirited," "accomplished," etc.

I figure I don't see them often enough to know what I think of them. Should work well as a stocking stuffer. Like?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003 12:38:55 AM by eva_jae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2003 01:13:52 AM »

^ very nice

i like the idea of putting a positive word on the glass opposite their "title" in your family

the half full half empty thing is so great i might have to do it too!  Shocked

Grin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003 01:15:03 AM by MeOwZa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2003 06:40:50 AM »

Actually, I forgot to put in my last post that I was thinking about using my new Armour Etch to etch light bulbs.

i am now the proud owner of a new deluxe glass etching set  Grin  ive only done two things so far snoop... and i used their stencils for it....
ive actaully thought that the light bulb thing would kick a$$ also... but from my limited experience thus far..the rounder things are the more of a biatch they are to etch... i guess if u did something ubersimple u might be ok
eithre way, good luck and let us know how they turn out  if u do try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
eva_jae

The look of death... boo!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2003 11:45:09 AM »

Thanks so much! It was quite a bit of fun thinking of things to put on there.

Another way to wrap the glasses might be to stuff the glass with candy (almond rocha, kisses, etc) or drink mixes, then wrap the glass in gift tissue, then put a ribbon around it. I think that's what I will do with my family's glasses.

jae
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2003 05:16:12 PM »

Groovy! I tried the glass etching but it seemed thinner than yours. Do you know if it's ok to do more than one coat? Or maybe I just need to smear it on more thick.

Twilight
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's just a ride."-Bill Hicks
My crafting blog: http://twilightkallisti.com/
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Kino Flo Lights
How to Record Sound Properly with Microphones
How to Record Proper Sound Levels
How to Use a Dolly Zoom
How to Master Focal Length
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...