A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frosted Glass Tutorial -- How to make frosted glassware with Armor Etch!  (Read 262284 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , glass_etching , armour_etch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smrfchic
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2005 08:34:09 PM »

Alex:

I was wondering how come your glasses appear to be colored when there done, but during the process look clear/normal?  Please explain.

Thanks!

The "colored" glasses are clear but filled with a colored beverage. :-D  Ya' gotta look really close!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
peggysheehan
« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2005 09:50:03 PM »

Oh, yeah!  I was hoping you had discovered how to change the color of glass.  That will be the next project.  lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsBettie
accidental microwave pyrotechnician

Jenn loves Wes

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2005 11:33:13 PM »

A kitchen store in my mall went out of business a while ago, so I got these glasses for 50 cents a piece. I'm thinking of selling them. they all have pairs. I use masking tape and cut out the image freehand with an exacto knife. I've also been etching cheap votive holders from AC Moore

The hurricane glass is my favorite  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010 09:03:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love.
~Carrie Bradshaw
Alex_
« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2005 01:49:26 AM »

Alex:

I was wondering how come your glasses appear to be colored when there done, but during the process look clear/normal?  Please explain.

Thanks!

The "colored" glasses are clear but filled with a colored beverage. :-D  Ya' gotta look really close!

hehe, yes thats true.

thats just "foodcolor" in hot water Smiley

yes, nasty trick, but it does look better and since their intended use is for cockails...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
project_jo
« Reply #324 on: February 17, 2005 07:48:08 AM »

For my first ever post, I wanted to share the etched glasses you all inspired me to make...these were a V-Day gift.  These are logos of two Philadelphia sports teams, the Flyers and Eagles.

--Jo
http://projectbox.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #325 on: February 17, 2005 12:17:10 PM »

For my first ever post, I wanted to share the etched glasses you all inspired me to make...these were a V-Day gift. These are logos of two Philadelphia sports teams, the Flyers and Eagles.

are you sure we aren't dating the same boy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
htking
« Reply #326 on: February 24, 2005 02:06:18 PM »

there is an article in the march 2005 issue of "ladies home journal" about using armor etch for glassware...fyi Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello there! check me out, more to come: http://ihopesew.etsy.com
sloppycraftster
Want a Mac Desktop Icon of Your Own Dog?

i AM smiling.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: February 27, 2005 08:58:44 AM »

you're brilliant, styrofoamkitty and the others who've made frosted glasses! beautiful work. i want to make some too but i have no idea where to get etching cream where i live (france). any french ppl out there who know what this is called and where i can get it?? anyway, i have these yogurt (i'm addicted to vanilla) containers i save because they're pretty and made of glass. right now i just fill them half-full of rock salt and place votice candles in them. but if they were frosted, they'd be prettier i think. thanks for the inspiration whether i get to do this as a project or not!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Staramaze
Sarah and the Stampstars

Crafting Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: March 10, 2005 02:03:37 AM »

I am so excited to share this here!

I just discovered using heat embosing and rubber stamps to etch glass!

1.  Stamp on the glass with clear embosing ink or Versamark ink

2.  Sprinkle on your clear embosing powder and tap off excess.

3.  Carefully heat with heat gun.  Go slow, and make sure the glass is not ice cold first or it will crack/explode in your face!  Look for the powder to disapear or go from powdery to clear.  This is like an instant stencil.  The cream will not etch it off!

4.  Tape off around your design with painters tape.

5.  Apply etching cream; use a sponge brush, go up and down, side to side and apply very thick.

6.  Let sit 15 minutes.

7.  Rinse off (or scrape off and use again).

8.  Scrape off the embossing with your fingernail or appropriate substitute,

9.  Remove tape and clean item well.

10.  Enjoy your item!

Tips:  clean item well with windex.  Use rubber stamps with very bold designs.  Practice on microscope slides (very cheap).  Or etch slides and use in jewelry, windchimes, or collage!  Stamping is easier on a flat surface - use squared off items.  Also take your inked stamp, put it stamp side up on the table and place your item on that and press down;  allows you to see where the center point is.  Also, before you heat embosing powder check to see that stamp came out clear and powder has stuck well... if it doesn't look good; remove powder with windex and start again.  Good Luck! Smiley

« Last Edit: March 10, 2005 02:07:31 AM by Staramaze » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GinaTy05
« Reply #329 on: March 10, 2005 01:13:52 PM »

I made these glasses for a Christmas gift. I bought the beer glasses at Goodwill for $.49 each and I bought some "White Frost Glass Etching Cream" at Wal*Mart for, like, $3.50 that was 2 OZ in size. I made a stencil by free-handing fraternity symbols onto contact paper and then used an x-acto knife to cut it out. Here is the end result:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on." - Blow
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Predator Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Create a Simple Energy Ball in Tony Vegas
How to Create Teleport Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Get Media Ready - DVD Studio Pro
How to Make a Title Sequence - Final Cut Pro 6
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...