A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: harry potter book release t-shirts  (Read 8236 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , stencil  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Riddikulus
« on: June 18, 2007 12:53:59 AM »

i do hope this is in the right place - forgive me if it isn't!

i live in southeast texas and it's summer - not exactly ideal weather for going all out with house scarves, sweaters, robes.. what have you. and to be honest, i'm really not sure i'd be up for it anyway, hahaha.

so i've had to get creative with ways to join in the crazy fun at the harry potter book 7 release party at my local barnes and noble!

i'm still kind of in idea-mode, and sketched out several ideas these past few hours.

my biggest question is how should i go about making these? my first idea was to get one of those quilting pencils that washes out and sketch the basic idea, or maybe lightly sketch out the design in photoshop and then print it out on an iron transfer and use it as guidelines. (this'd be especially helpful with the shirts with lettering - i'd like them to resemble computer fonts if possible, haha).

but i dunno - what kind of paint? should i go acrylic and use textile medium.. just go acrylic, forget textile medium? fabric paint all the way? what kind of brushes? big or small? bristle or foam? dry or wet? i am a complete newbie to this stuff and any advice is more than welcome!

and another reason for posting - which design do you guys like best? i seriously cannot decide (except for the dumbledore's army one - i really don't like it much anymore).

thanks a bunch!

and pictures:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/nyamh/shirts.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/nyamh/shirts2.jpg
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012 02:52:09 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: to remove broken images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
judethelost
In a sane world, madness is the only freedom. -J.G. Ballard

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007 01:04:16 AM »

I like the Dumbledore's Army shirt best, though the Voldy Gets Owned shirt is pretty funny too.
Sketching out your ideas first would definitely be best, with either some tailor's chalk or a fabric pencil... if you really want to, you could cut out shapes/a stencil to get outlines down, and then fill them in. I'd suggest going with a small, course bristled brush if you're painting something onto a shirt... the paint will ruin a finer bristled one, and 'cuz it's small, you'll have more control over where the bristles put the paint.
Another idea that just popped into my head is to use fabric markers... y'know, like permanent markers for fabric?
In any case, stick some cardboard into your shirt while you're working on it to make sure nothing bleeds through... prewash your shirts to shrink it and get excess chemicals out...
Good luck! I hope I helped some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
techni_moments
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Chronic Craftubater =)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007 03:49:36 AM »

My vote is for the Voldy gets pwnd one, i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We pencil-sketch our previous life so we can contrast it to the technicolor of the moment"
Velour
Lady of the Scissors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007 04:19:27 AM »

I wouldn't recommend fabric markers... in my experience, anything you do will come out bleed-y.   Tongue

I really like the fake-robe shirt, and my recommendation would be stenciling. There is a great tutorial in the stenciling forum if you're new to it, and a discussion and question board there too. I have personally used acrylic paints, and they come out just fine as long as you iron it to set it. Oh, and foam brushes.

Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing is craftier than a story Smiley http://writwratwrote.wordpress.com/
RissaSan
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007 07:10:04 AM »

oh my god, let me first say that if you drew those up yourself/designed them then they're absolutely fantastic and you should go into business lol.

I love the fake robe one, and the Marauder's one, and Dumbledore's Army...

For the robe one - it'd be easiest to do in stenciling like Velour said. Do it in a kind of fake tuxedo way and you'd be all set.

Actually, if you drew your own designs in photoshop, you could easily make stencils of just about anything you drew, but i think the pwned one would be a little difficult because of its thin lines
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Hate is easy, love takes courage ♥
lariarocket
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007 07:24:22 AM »

Love your ideas!! The fake robe and Marauder ones are my faves. The stenciling idea is great for both of them. Please post the results when you're done! I'd love to see them come to life.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007 07:25:10 AM by lariarocket » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I don't have no costume, and I don't wear no new clothes...my body just follows wherever my heart goes*

http://my-ocean-view.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/lariarocket
SavoryxPie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007 07:51:05 AM »

I dunno I really like the DA one lol ^^ They're all brilliant but I'd have to say, go with voldy gets pwnd. heck yes.
have fun at the opening, I'm actually knitting a new hose scarve right now in prep.

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ilovemystarbursts
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007 12:29:00 PM »

those are really awesome! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ducky2010
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007 04:30:06 PM »

Shocked Those are amazing!!! Would you mind terribly if I nicked them for some stuff I want to make for the release? I think I want to do the marauders around the bottom of one of my pant legs of some old jeans I have. That and I'm trying to figure out how to combine the Voldy gets pwnd one and the DA one. I love them though! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007 04:46:14 PM »

Check out the techniques board. Stencilling would probably look good.

I love DA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Celery for Lumpia
How to Julienne Snowpeas for Lumpia
How to Dice Onions and Prepare Water Chestnuts for Lumpia
How to Chop Garlic and Mince Ginger for Lumpia
How to Saute Vegetables for Lumpia
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...