A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tut: Make your own library-style magazine storage boxes (and save $$$)!  (Read 32782 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2007 05:16:29 PM »

Hi!

I recently made some magazine storage boxes (like the ones at the library and at Target, which are overpriced  Angry)...

Here's one:

Looks like wood, eh?  Look a little closer...

Nope, not wood.  They're made from some leftover cardboard boxes, construction paper, markers, and, of course, Mod Podge.  Want to make your own?  Gather three small cardboard boxes (book it to your local dumpster or supermarket).  Trace one of your largest magazines on a piece of cardboard.  Then, you can make designs which will embellish your box.  Then, cut out the side of the storage box, and then use this cut-out side as a template to trace and cut another piece of cardboard (to create another side to the storage box).  Next, decide how deep you'd like your storage to be (mine are about four inches deep), and cut three strips with that width to correspond to the height of the side pieces, width of the side pieces, and length of the front of the side pieces.  Then, assemble your box with tape (I use clear packing tape-it's strong!).  If you'd like to decorate your box like mine, here's how:

Take out a few pieces of brown construction paper, two or three brown markers, and a yellow marker.  Draw diagonal stripes along the papers with the markers until you get a darkness of the grain of your liking.  Do this with all of the pieces of construction paper you have (mine required three pieces of construction paper, and is large enough to accommodate a Blueprint magazine).  Then, you will cut the paper into strips, first cut lengthwise a strip, then turn the sheet and cut widthwise with the remainder.  Keep repeating this until you have cut up all of your paper, with various size strips; this will give you two different grains, allowing you to make a wood-like grain.

Now, whip out your Mod Podge and a makeup sponge (the triangular kind), and apply the strips to your box, so that it resembles this:

When you're done, let the glue dry, and then coat with a layer of Mod Podge (the glossy kind makes it look like real wood), and chock it full of magazines!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007 04:55:06 PM by Lava means love. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feliciter
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007 06:25:09 PM »

Wow! Thanks for the instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007 07:38:08 AM »

You're very welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endlessly_intricate
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 06:45:24 PM »

Wow, thanks for this tutorial!  I just moved into my house a month ago and all my magazines are still just sitting in a box... plus I have tons of cardboard boxes I need to do something with.  I'm totally going to make some of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiberartist219
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007 07:18:45 PM »

One year I made magazine boxes for my dad for father's day because he LOVES reading magazines. My stepmom says he currently has a dozen or so subscriptions!

Anyway, when I did mine, I made them out of cereal boxes. They might not be as sturdy as corregated cardboard, but they were the perfect size, and only required scissors (or a utility knife).

Your idea for the faux wood is awesome. I love how it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss.muffy
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007 09:50:24 AM »

I bet this would be great decorated with shelf paper.  I've woodgrain shelf paper in dollar stores - cheap and easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007 10:25:41 AM »

Certainly!  Right now I'm considering making one and then mod podging it with some fabric...ooooh, I need more cardboard! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astroguyaz
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007 03:08:06 PM »

Great idea. Thanks for the tip!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 11:21:41 AM »

thats great! it looks like Missoni homeware original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007 12:28:28 PM »

Thank You! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Eat Nigiri
How to Use Chopsticks
Cooking Tuna
Soy Ginger Sauce Recipe
Thai Cream Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...