A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tut: Make your own library-style magazine storage boxes (and save $$$)!  (Read 34628 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2007 05:16:29 PM »

Hi!

I recently made some magazine storage boxes (like the ones at the library and at Target, which are overpriced  Angry)...

Here's one:

Looks like wood, eh?  Look a little closer...

Nope, not wood.  They're made from some leftover cardboard boxes, construction paper, markers, and, of course, Mod Podge.  Want to make your own?  Gather three small cardboard boxes (book it to your local dumpster or supermarket).  Trace one of your largest magazines on a piece of cardboard.  Then, you can make designs which will embellish your box.  Then, cut out the side of the storage box, and then use this cut-out side as a template to trace and cut another piece of cardboard (to create another side to the storage box).  Next, decide how deep you'd like your storage to be (mine are about four inches deep), and cut three strips with that width to correspond to the height of the side pieces, width of the side pieces, and length of the front of the side pieces.  Then, assemble your box with tape (I use clear packing tape-it's strong!).  If you'd like to decorate your box like mine, here's how:

Take out a few pieces of brown construction paper, two or three brown markers, and a yellow marker.  Draw diagonal stripes along the papers with the markers until you get a darkness of the grain of your liking.  Do this with all of the pieces of construction paper you have (mine required three pieces of construction paper, and is large enough to accommodate a Blueprint magazine).  Then, you will cut the paper into strips, first cut lengthwise a strip, then turn the sheet and cut widthwise with the remainder.  Keep repeating this until you have cut up all of your paper, with various size strips; this will give you two different grains, allowing you to make a wood-like grain.

Now, whip out your Mod Podge and a makeup sponge (the triangular kind), and apply the strips to your box, so that it resembles this:

When you're done, let the glue dry, and then coat with a layer of Mod Podge (the glossy kind makes it look like real wood), and chock it full of magazines!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007 04:55:06 PM by Lava means love. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feliciter
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007 06:25:09 PM »

Wow! Thanks for the instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007 07:38:08 AM »

You're very welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endlessly_intricate
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 06:45:24 PM »

Wow, thanks for this tutorial!  I just moved into my house a month ago and all my magazines are still just sitting in a box... plus I have tons of cardboard boxes I need to do something with.  I'm totally going to make some of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiberartist219
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007 07:18:45 PM »

One year I made magazine boxes for my dad for father's day because he LOVES reading magazines. My stepmom says he currently has a dozen or so subscriptions!

Anyway, when I did mine, I made them out of cereal boxes. They might not be as sturdy as corregated cardboard, but they were the perfect size, and only required scissors (or a utility knife).

Your idea for the faux wood is awesome. I love how it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss.muffy
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007 09:50:24 AM »

I bet this would be great decorated with shelf paper.  I've woodgrain shelf paper in dollar stores - cheap and easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007 10:25:41 AM »

Certainly!  Right now I'm considering making one and then mod podging it with some fabric...ooooh, I need more cardboard! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astroguyaz
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007 03:08:06 PM »

Great idea. Thanks for the tip!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 11:21:41 AM »

thats great! it looks like Missoni homeware original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007 12:28:28 PM »

Thank You! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graceypooo

creative confusion...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007 05:33:23 PM »

cool! i tried this idea with a cereal box before also. i really like the curvy design thing you did on the sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carLA!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007 12:22:20 PM »

Those are great, I always use laundry detergent boxes for this...I love recycling!!!! And u r right about the overpricedness of these things..boo Tongue Its more fun to make them tho
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007 12:22:54 PM by carLA!!!! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

you say yes, i say no, you say stop and i say go, go,go
imgoing2themoon
Crafting (...when mom's not looking)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007 10:01:17 PM »

this a a great idea! I also think the Target ones are quite the rip-off. These a awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007 02:33:15 AM »

Cool boxes!  I really like the scalloped edges.  Smiley

I've got some similar magazine boxes (not as cool as yours, since I haven't decorated them).  If ya'll want to save some of the cutting and re-sizing, the Priority Mail boxes, as well as the small Fed-Ex and UPS boxes, are perfectly sized for magazines, notebooks and scrapbooking paper.  Use previously used boxes, of course! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GhostAcademy
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007 11:11:08 PM »

You did a great job, I actually thought it was veneer at first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
Candreya
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007 02:23:19 PM »

This make me want to use boxes now when I go to Aldi's to shop! Our Aldi's tries to hide the boxes before the customers can use them though, for some reason! I may snag a couple boxes to use and cut up for my magazines. My mom gives me her old Woman's Day and Missouri Conservation magazines (I try and make some crafts out of them, and recipes) and having 2 girls in school, when school projects come in, they'll be handy! But, another way to save $$ is go to Aldi's and snag a couple boxes to take home, wish I woulda seen this years ago! Great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hug_the_penguin
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007 08:37:34 PM »

I so need to make one of these.
Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be kind to your webb-footed friends,
hug_the_penguin
shelleibean
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007 07:45:04 PM »

this is freakin' awesome! thank you so much for sharing ! i really need this.  did you use the wallpaper headboard template fromt he most recent issue of blueprint for your embellishment?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007 06:07:43 AM »

did you use the wallpaper headboard template fromt he most recent issue of blueprint for your embellishment?
No, I didn't; I haven't yet seen the newest Blueprint issue.  I'll have to check it out.
I actually scribbled with brown markers on brown construction paper, and cut them into strips.  If you play around with the placement of the strips a little bit, you can get a wood grain-looking pattern. 

Candreya-My thoughts exactly-I got all of my boxes from Aldi's.  Sometimes I go in there and it looks like I'm shopping for boxes, because my cart is loaded with boxes Smiley !  I used the orange juice boxes for this project, because the height of the orange juice boxes is perfect with most standard sized magazines, and you can get that neato looking orange artwork showing through the magaines from the inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007 07:46:45 PM »

I bet you could do this pre-sized with FedEx boxes, they are just about the right size and sturdy --- I will have to try with the next one I get.....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007 07:47:10 PM by longtimegeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007 03:12:39 PM »

thats really cool! I will definitely use the tute in the future!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
FairyFemme

Avoiding the temptation to join another swap!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007 03:49:40 PM »

Oh, my gosh! Thanks so much for posting this. My wife and I have needed to get some of these for our home, but everything is either ugly or overpriced.  Now, I can totally make some killer ones while recycling.
Eee! I'm so excited. Project!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself.
--Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
--Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963
boogirl1984
"If she wants to rock, she rocks. If she wants to roll, she rolls."

Carolina Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007 10:13:56 PM »

Those are great!  I used to make them out of cereal boxes covered in comics, definitely not as snazzy and stylish as yours!  Saving the tut for future reference.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirbay831
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008 01:49:22 AM »

I just stole an empty beer carton off my stepfather and now I have 3 magazine sized holders and one A5 notebook sized holder (i have so many layin around).. out of 1 beer carton! I'm going to cover them in contact instead of paper though (contact = adhesive paper).. unless I want to paint them.. but it can wait til I move house next week, ill use them to pack my magazines in boxes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008 09:10:18 AM »

I definitely need to make some of these! I've bought them in the past and they are absolutely overpriced!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
TLW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008 12:37:00 AM »

I did something similar, but with a cover of maps, instead of fake wood.

However, I used 'wine boxes' for this. (can contain six bottles of wine)
They are aplenty in the supermarkets around here, they are more sturdy than the cereal boxes, and you can cut them down easily.

However, I like the curved design on the sides, the accessible large hole on the back and the patience to create fake wood.

TLW
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
Imagine
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008 01:27:49 PM »

I'm definitely going to do some of those with shelf paper (mactac) or wall paper!
Thanks so much! (and thanks for all the ideas from other craftsters too!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008 11:39:27 PM »

Man this is just what I needed! I have been thinking that some more of these were in order to get me organized.... but I hate having to buy them! Thanks so much! I will post pics when I am sucessful! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008 10:12:53 AM »

Cheap and free organization solutions are the stuff of dreams.

I did something similar, but with a cover of maps, instead of fake wood.

I love using maps as decor.  Great idea...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008 01:34:22 PM by Lava means love. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dorisdunngems
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008 11:02:25 PM »

I'm gonna have to make me some of those.  Thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grniys
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008 06:27:48 PM »

That's really cool. Thanks so much for the tut. I think I'll make some using scrapbook paper instead of doing the fake wood thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veritas_rose
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008 09:33:08 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to use some scrapbook paper as well. There's some really cool prints at Michael's. I've been looking for a good place to store my mags, since I now subscribe to Relevant, Paste, and Domino.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
StephJane
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008 10:49:37 PM »

thank you! I'm going to be making some of these
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010 08:46:06 PM »

Great project! I just featured it in my blog post on 6 Last-Minute Crafted Gift Ideas (http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com/2010/12/6-last-minute-crafted-gift-ideas.html).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DEmiurgic
Little O'l Me

Art & Dancing, my two passions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011 11:51:27 AM »

Awsome idea! ~Thanks for sharing!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. --Theodore Roosevelt
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011 07:50:29 PM »

BOOKMARKED!!!!  I soooooooooooo need to make some of THESE!!!  AWESOME!!!  (and SO pretty!!!) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
JV68078
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011 06:30:24 PM »

This is awesome! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011 08:13:31 AM »

well, I was going to go buy some magazine holders for my clean-up of my craft room...this looks like a much better idea!!

Thanks for the knock in the noggin and the tutorial!  I see some cardboard boxes right outside my office in the mailroom...Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hobbiesplusmore
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011 12:49:33 PM »

Wow, what a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Leather Skirts For Every Body Type
4 Celebrity-Approved Loafers You Need to Buy for Fall
8 Celebrity Looks for Less
Behind the Scenes: High-Flying Fashion
Easy Ways To Support Breast Cancer Awareness While Shopping
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...