A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
356 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am obsessed with French beaded flower brooches! Lotsa clickable thumbnail pics  (Read 7279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flutter-by
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007 05:27:40 PM »

Those are really cool.  I wish I had the time to try to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetybeads
www.pandahallca.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007 06:56:03 PM »

pretty flower!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pandahallca.com/beads/
-beads online store, we supply beads, findings, tools for your creativity.
Welcome to our Ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.ca/Chinabeadsandfindings
here there are many distinctive auction everyday~!
LaughingLark
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007 08:26:46 PM »

Thanks, everyone!  Smiley You really should try making them. It's fun! In a way, it reminds me of basket-weaving, because you wind around, and around, to make each petal.

I'm not a particularly patient person, but I took up beadwork (an old love of mine) with a vengeance when I quit smoking twenty years ago. I went cold turkey, from chain-smoking nearly three packs a day.  Shocked I still need to keep my hands busy. I totally have to have something to do with my hands, especially on long trips, or I go bonkers! Tongue

If I have time tomorrow, I'll take a picture of the beads on paddle-wire that I take with me on the road. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007 03:25:45 AM »

congrats on quitting smoking! i know how hard it is. i quit 19 years ago and i was a 2-3 pack a day smoker too. but you have been much more creative with your cravings than me. you took up beading - i took up eating... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Kitty Ballistic
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007 12:31:15 PM »

I tried to make one of these last weekend, but couldn't get it quite right. The wire wouldn't fit snugly, and it was a bit gappy. Then when I tried to free the beads, the wire got all tangled, and there was a whole wire-foot brouhaha. Suffice to say, beaded flowers will have to wait for a while - I shall content myself with admiring the ones you made.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007 01:10:35 PM »

Peev, my first flower had all those problems, and probably more. The wires were pretty loose and sloppy, and the petal sizes were really inconsistent. And there were gaps you could run though. Cheesy

It takes a bit of practice to get the technique down, just like it does for knitting or crochet.  Don't give up on it just yet. It does get easier. I promise.  Smiley

It does help to be in a reasonably relaxed state of mind when you try this for the first time. In time, you will notice that it is easier to bring one row of beads up close to the last row.

Another thought for people trying this craft. I used some totally random assorted color seed beads I had for my practice flowers, before getting out the prettier colors or more costly seed beads. Sometimes the random color flowers can turn out really neat, too--in a "Grandma's button box" kind of way. If you have some loose flotsam of seed beads in a craft bin somewhere, practice with those first. And give yourself permission to make mistakes. You'll be knocking out really nice flowers in no time.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitty Ballistic
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007 11:17:20 AM »

Thanks for the hints - I'll give it another go when I'm not so antsy.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mallorie
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007 08:27:36 AM »

*warning* beginner beader here~

LOVE these.  I thought i'd try them, I do a lot of "putsy" crafts, so I don't mind the time investment to learn these.

One question...what is the process for assembling the petals?  On the kimberly chapman tutorial, she shows the red petal done, but what happens to the two wires left sticking out?  I'm assuming you bend one down to the other and twist?  Then how do you assemble the petals into a flower, or are they loose?

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007 08:54:42 AM »

*warning* beginner beader here~

LOVE these.  I thought i'd try them, I do a lot of "putsy" crafts, so I don't mind the time investment to learn these.

One question...what is the process for assembling the petals?  On the kimberly chapman tutorial, she shows the red petal done, but what happens to the two wires left sticking out?  I'm assuming you bend one down to the other and twist?  Then how do you assemble the petals into a flower, or are they loose?

Thanks for the help!

I bend the end of the "basic" wire down to the looped wire side, then I twist it around a few times and cut it.

When I put the flowers together, I take whatever my center piece is going to be, arrange three petals round it, and twist them together as a group a few times. Then I add the other three petals at one time, and twist them around the first group. I tighten it all up as best I can, then add a layer of florist's tape to make it more secure. I hope this helps.

After I get caught up on some personal swap stuff, maybe I can take a picture of how I put them together, if you like? I figured out my own method through trial and error.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mallorie
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007 09:41:26 AM »

Thanks for the help...I think I got it now.  Now, to get some seed beads... Cheesy

I'd always love to see pictures, esp. if you make them into brooches. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Head Explode Using a Green Screen
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: Hugo
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: My Week With Marilyn
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: J. Edgar
New James Bond Film Titled Skyfall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...