A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can quilted fabric be made into duvet cover instead?  (Read 820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2007 01:33:30 PM »

I love to quilt, but I hate the actual quilting!  I love the designing, the cutting and piecing, but putting the layers together and quilting them all together is a total nightmare for me.  Case in point: I am making a twin size quilt for my son's bed and it has taken me over a year because I dread the machine quilting!  I do have a walking foot, and I try to go slow and take my time, but I just hate it.  For me, it's hard to work with so much fabric and batting.  Is there something I am missing? 

I really want to make a new quilt for my bed (queen size), but I fear it will be even harder than the twin size.  So my idea was to make a quilted top, then make it into a cover for my feather duvet.  My main concern is to prevent all the pieces from fraying once they're on the inside of the cover.  Has anyone tried this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007 08:18:37 PM »

Well, one easy way to do it would be if you had a serger to overlock when you're piecing. Another would be to do a very simple backing, and no batting - just using a flat sheet or something, and loosely quilting in the ditch, so you essentially end up with 2 layers at the front of the cover and 2 layers at the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ranchelmarie
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007 04:29:07 AM »

I agree with anixamander about the simple backing, it'll protect the piecework, especially if you plan to wash it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aspenwall
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007 02:30:36 PM »

You could try to skip the machine quilting a do it by hand.  I know that takes a long time too but it's easy to just do a running stitch on a grid...like every foot or so. Here's a pic of a quilt I'm finishing for someone. I just sewed the blocks borders together and i put the place where i did the actual hand quilting in yellow so you could see. (I put the machine quilting in green).
This is a picture of something that wasn't totally finished at the time of the pic but I have finished all the hand quilting now and it took me about two weeks, which isn't bad...at about a half hour everyday.  Some people really like quilting on the machine but I hate it.  Running stitch is way easier.  I just put my safety pins in every foot or so and then I can sit in front of the TV and stich away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007 03:37:23 PM »

How about light-weight iron-on interfacing behind the quilt top?

The FINEST interfacing is from
http://www.sewexciting.blogspot.com/

pro-weight knit doesn't affect drape, and it fuses easily and stays fused. And your seams wouldn't fray.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007 03:38:40 PM by ScotSkipper402 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
cmoore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007 09:20:55 PM »

You don't love to quilt, you love to make tops. There are many in the quilting world exactly the same-this is why a quilt finishing industry exists, and you could always go that way and make tops to your hearts content then farm them out to someone else to do the less-fun part. You also might try hand quilting as aspenwall suggested and find you like it. It takes more time, but less skill to do a reasonable job.

Certainly you can line a pieced top without quilting, but be aware that will likely make it difficult to use as layers shift. There is a reason that step exists in the first place-my grandma found this out as she wanted me to make a pieced blanket with no quilting. After trying to convince her to let me quilt it, I just backed it like she wanted. She later said "I should have listened to you-it never stays together".

Serging the pieces also sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007 09:25:14 PM »

I have a pieced duvet cover that my grandmother made, and it works great. It looks to me like she just turned the edges under and sewed it all the way around, right onto a commercial duvet cover. So the underside of your piecing isn't exposed--it's backed by the top of the duvet cover. I've had it for years and it seems like it's holding up perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Fortune Teller
How to Fold an Origami Paper Cup
How to Fold an Origami Elephant
How to Fold an Origami Kirigami Dove
How to Fold an Origami Cat and Broomstick
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...