A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,538
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leaving things for random people to find Question? Ideas?  (Read 8703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 17, 2007 11:19:49 AM »

I have always like the idea of leaving things for other people to find...message in a bottle, messages of goodwill, books dollar bills and I want to start leaving art. www.found-art.com The idea is to leave art for people to find with a web address on the back so they can comment on finding your art if they wish. Now the problem I have is that I really consider myself a crafter/technician, perhaps artisan, but not an artist. I like taking patterns and making them, or taking costume renderings and figuring out how to make them "in the real world". I don't really like taking ideas/feeling/whatever and making it into an art piece--I need more limitations than that! I can't really draw, or paint, I don't take photographs. So what can I make? I do have one idea, which is to take seasons/holidays and make things celebrating these events. What else could I do? My other idea was to make buttons, but then I would need a button maker! I like the button idea because someone could wear it, or keep it in a trinket box or give it to someone who collects buttons and you could use paper, magazines, fabric...to make the buttons. So I am looking for ideas that are easy to "mass" produce, and cheap!

Also if anyone knows where to find information on a fact for each day, specifically relating to that day...like "September 19th is talk like a pirate day" or "On January 15 (this interesting thing happened)" or "June is National Dairy Month".

Thanks...and think about leaving your own found art in your community!

Short story on leaving things for other people to find
When I was little I had a stuffed animal squeaky pig. I had no strong feelings towards the pig, it was a fine toy. However one day we were driving through the neighborhood and I asked my mom if I could throw the pig out the car window. She said that if I was OK with NEVER seeing the pig again I could. I was prepared to let go of the pig and I set him free. It was exciting for me to believe the pig would have a new life that I wouldn't know about. (He probably wound up in the trash) but maybe another little girl was walking down the street and found him, and loved him...the idea of that was exciting to me. Then we got home and my dad was upset about the pig...apparently he really liked the pig Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007 12:45:12 PM »

I think this idea would be so cool. I think it would be even cooler to receive on too! Grin

http://www.123greetings.com/ is my favorite ecard website (even though it has pop-ups) and down the right sidebar it has the celebration for each day.

Maybe tiny, little cards? Those would be good to brighten somebody's day!

I can't wait to see everybody else's ideas about this. Hmm, maybe we could also give them a link to craftster... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
gallstones
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007 01:01:15 PM »

I really like this idea. My preference would be for buttons. Make my own and leave them around. I need a button maker though. It might just be me, but people like buttons, they would pick them up, wear them and probably keep them. A person could make a lot of buttons. I'm going to have to look into this--but I don't want to pay $300 for a machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007 01:17:45 PM »

I'm going to have to look into this--but I don't want to pay $300 for a machine!

I know!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007 09:48:38 PM »

I'm going to have to look into this--but I don't want to pay $300 for a machine!

I know!!

Yeah, I'm so broke. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infinite Annie
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007 10:44:28 PM »

Oh, what a fun idea!  Good on you!  I've actually rescued 2 little stuffed ex-buddies I've seen abandoned in the road!  Neither of them a pig, however.  One of them I actually threw back, it was so homely!  I still feel guilty about it to this day...I should have at least tossed it into the bushes so it didn't get roadkilled.  *Sigh*

As far as making something relatively low-cost and easy, how about pressing a pretty, or interesting stamp into some paper clay, or Fimo  and them 'antiquing' it with some acrylic paint to bring out the design.  Then hang it on some nice cord or ribbon.  You could write what you wanted on the back with a Sharpie pen, or else put it in a ziplock with a small card?  I know I'd be thrilled to find such a treasure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FlowerWitch
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007 10:10:38 AM »

I totally love this idea! its fantastic, i can email you a list of the different 'national days' if you like? i am making a different craft for everyday, hense having the list! what about leaving all different crafts rather than mass produced ones? If you do a site/blog like the found-art thing let me know and i will join you (if thats ok?)

Good luck!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists ~ http://www.wists.com/flowerwitch

I am collecting pendants of ANYTHING that people make and think eh? and dont want!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007 11:54:31 AM »

I totally love this idea! its fantastic, i can email you a list of the different 'national days' if you like? i am making a different craft for everyday, hense having the list! what about leaving all different crafts rather than mass produced ones? If you do a site/blog like the found-art thing let me know and i will join you (if thats ok?)

Good luck!!  Grin

This would be a very cool craft-along idea...Wink

Could you PM me the list or is email more effective?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FlowerWitch
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007 11:57:32 AM »

Its not pm-able but if you pm me with your email address i can send it to you. I have had the list for ages and just been working on it myself, now i feel all selfish and should have shared it!!!  Tongue Never mind, i will share it now, i will also post bout it on the discussion bit on misc crafts!!!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists ~ http://www.wists.com/flowerwitch

I am collecting pendants of ANYTHING that people make and think eh? and dont want!
thief
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007 04:30:57 PM »

I think I will try this as well. I love the idea of cards except they are not rain-proof. It would be a good dry-summer found piece.
I'm also a huge fan of making little stuffed animals. I think I will try that too.
other ideas:
- plants in paper cups ["mystery" seedlings].
- burned CDs with one or two songs on them, with or without titles.
- small pillows, detailed or not.
All in all I think this is an amazing idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Amy
[and Abbey, Bella, Natasha, Milo, Ferdie, Olive, Sophie-Mo, Laika and Winston]

I make snuggly things for snuggly beasts.
etsy: http://silverbeatshop.etsy.com
blog: http://tashastails.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Eighth Notes on the Violin
How to Play D Major Scale on the Violin
How to Play A String Notes on the Violin
2009 Holiday Baeble Music Indie Music Special
The Worst Cover Songs Ever
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...