A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fed up with Etsy?  (Read 11389 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Halflyng
« on: June 17, 2007 06:56:22 AM »

I'm pretty much done with the site, and I've cut my prices so I can clear out my inventory.  I'm not listing anything new or renewing any of my expired items.

Here's why:

1.  When they released V2, they ruined the Christmas selling season.
2.  They're charging more for less time when the site doesn't even work 1/3 of the time.
3.  They're throwing all these big parties, when most of us can't go, and  the site isn't working properly. 
4.  The constitution. 
5.  A severe lack of nice people in the forums.  I can barely stand to go there anymore.
6.  Overrun with Bath & beauty.
7.  Whenever there is a discussion of bath & beauty in the forums, it always comes down to people bashing melt & pour soaps.
8.  This is the straw that broke the camels back - "It may take a *few days* for items to show up"  Are you kidding me?  I pay money for a site that barely works, when there are plenty of sites that work better?

So yea, I'm sick & tired of being abused over there. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007 09:05:17 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crackpony
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007 07:13:22 AM »

I closed my old etsy shop before v2 was introduced, and now after reading your list I'm a mite discouraged to open up another Cheesy

Sure, there's plenty of reasons to appreciate etsy, which should work in theory, but seems to be lacking in practice.

For one, before and after v2, I've always thought Etsy could have done a better job showing everyone's items. For a split second, a customer might glimpse your product in a small row of pics at the bottom of the front page, or, they might find your products in the category it belongs to or through a search, if they have the patience to look through all of the items that have pushed it to the back of the line in the matter of minutes.

Now, I can hear people start to reply: "But you can always do your OWN advertising!"

And this is where my quip with poor in-category organization comes in. The purses and handbags section, for example, is sub-categorized something like "purses, bags, clutches, totes..." etc, but sellers more often than not will put 2 or more of those tags on their item, so you see a mix of more or less the same products in each sub-category.

The knitting section is similarly dissapointing. Sub-categories could have included roving, yarn (hand-dyed, handspun, and by weight: lace, sock, DK, worsted, bulky, novelty/art),etc.

Another problem is the site is flooded with underpriced and/or poorly photographed (and sometimes, I hate to say it, but poorly made) items, which can wear on a shopper's patience if they have to go back 20+ pages to find something they want to spend their hard-earned cash on.

But luckily, yes, there are other options and venues out there to sell handmade goods, but it's a pity that Etsy isn't living up to its potential.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007 07:14:46 AM by crackpony » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Halflyng
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007 07:17:37 AM »

I completely agree with the category issues.  Earlier this year Stella was going to completely redo the categories and asked everyones opinion on what should be changed... Nothing has happened, and it's the middle of the year already.

I also agree with the fact that they should advertise more often.  Now people in the forums are accusing admin of taking bribes from people and giving them special advertising (If you ever read the blog, you'll see what they're talking about).  When Etsy Labs first opened, they posted in the forums that they'd LOVE B & B people to send in soaps to be displayed in the Etsy Labs Bathroom... I made them pay for one of my soaps.  Yes, it's advertising, but seriously?  I'm all about sending samples to people that are going to buy from me in the future, but not just for display in a bathroom that I'll never see.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
slb2724
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007 08:30:08 PM »

I agree, but there are alot of positives. The forums are usually quite nice. Just because a few people are rude, doesn't mean they all are. I do agree with the pay more view less thing. It just pisses me off really. I set up my shop, get ready and my listing costs 2 times as much? Less time really sucks, because people usually wait a while longer, especially for those selling seasonal things.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
redbucket
artist

when in poland...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007 06:56:34 AM »

i previewed etsy site and slept on it- passed it on to other artist friends and we all agreed not to use it-  points well put.

now then. what other sites do you recomend to sell clothing?

focus on - woman's dresses, kids clothing and causal wear.
nothing frill or lacy girly girl- clothes that people would wear every day-

thinking of a trunk show at a private house--
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Halflyng
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007 09:04:06 AM »

Well, I closed my store.  I'm done with Etsy... I feel much more relieved now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreadlocklove
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007 03:03:56 PM »

I created an Etsy account a little while back but haven't listed any items yet.  Does it always take a few days for the listing to appear, and is there really that much downtime? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
slb2724
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007 04:36:12 PM »

I created an Etsy account a little while back but haven't listed any items yet.  Does it always take a few days for the listing to appear, and is there really that much downtime? 

Usually the items come up right away, that was just a glitch. There really isn't that much dontime at all. And when there is, its only a few minutes at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cakester
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007 09:57:05 PM »

Don't EVEN get me started on Etsy!!!   Angry

Site is having WAY too much trouble still for being in business for so long. 

Favorites among members with administration, no matter HOW much it's denied.

High school mentality ALL over the place!  Followers of certain members, high sellers say what they want and are never questioned, somebody else says something, and they're jumped on.

Immature administration, not willing to admit they're NOT running the site well.

Parties and craft classes not needed, many silly features on site not needed .. what IS needed is fast efficient browsing and searching, and able to buy quickly and easily.

Talk on forums is getting worse and worse .. raunchy and sickening and has NO place on a forum where customers can read.

That's JUST the tip of how I feel right now! 

Cakester
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slb2724
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007 11:21:24 PM »

Well, I AM in high school, so I do have a high school mentality, but I'm not going to go and act like an @ss on the boards. I admit, there are a selected group of sellers I dislike and refuse to buy from. Admin does pick favorites and there are some power sellers that everyone is buddies with and they practically have the final say on topics...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dakota Fanning and Olivia Palermo Style Inspiration
Rebecca Taylor on Her Fall 2012 Collection
Taylor Swift and Gwyneth Paltrow on the Grammys Red Carpet
Learn How to Tie a Tie
Olivia Palermo on Her Style for Spring 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...