A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fed up with Etsy?  (Read 11054 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2008 07:38:39 AM »

bioformcallie:
I know exactly what you are saying. I hear this all the time on the Etsy forums. Some people renew their listings daily (not listing new items, but renewing their already existing listings for 20cents each time just to get it noticed and at the top of the searches).
Like you said, 20 cents isn't much at all but if you are renewing an item, let's say 20 times before it sells that is a $4 expense that you may not have initially incorporated into that item's final cost - which still isn't too bad but it can be if the item you are selling is only selling for $10.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
ReconstructiveChoice
LGM

Wiggle your big toe.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2008 12:19:10 PM »

It's not. Maybe I'm just explaining it wrong. I'm saying that taking one item and making 14 posts for it a week trying to get it sold could seriously add up. One of the suggestions seemed to be saying to make multiple listings for the same item in order to give it more chance at being seen. Soaps mentioned listing thing 4-5 times a day.

Listing a hat for .20 isn't much at all. But if I list it twice a day for a week that's almost 3 dollars, which would cut into your profit.

Oh okay i see what you mean... like listing things again so they appear earlier in searches.  I can see how that'd be frustrating, especially if you sell like soap or something where people aren't always looking for something super specific.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2008 05:28:06 PM »

silkfair seems to be growing in popularity. I am hoping they will be a nice alternative to etsy
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008 05:28:40 PM by PhunkyThreads » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
iheartalex

Makeshift Apparel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2008 04:58:03 PM »

Big Cartel seems like it would be really great for selling on. You can create discount codes, there aren't any fees but it is $9.99/month. Right now I just have the free version that doesn't have all the features or allow you to post more than five items but I was thinking about upgrading soon.

www.bigcartel.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibii

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2008 11:09:39 AM »

I feel you completely. I posted in the Ideas forum about how I didn't like how commercial made products like patterns were allowed to be sold, since it's about HANDMADE things. Everyone attacked me and a mod closed my thread. I thought it was childish. No one bought anything from my shop after 3 months of paying etsy to list them, so I quit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

3 successful personal swaps!

I love fish, strawberries, zebra prints, hair clips, and anything cute! <3
PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2008 12:44:23 PM »

yeah it seems etsy wants money for nothing. i dont spend my money on nothing, it's like wiping your butt with dollar bills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
Souldier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008 06:11:32 AM »

I feel you completely. I posted in the Ideas forum about how I didn't like how commercial made products like patterns were allowed to be sold, since it's about HANDMADE things. Everyone attacked me and a mod closed my thread. I thought it was childish. No one bought anything from my shop after 3 months of paying etsy to list them, so I quit.

Tell me about it! I see those threads all the time. I personally think it is ridiculous to be selling vintange items on a supposedly handmade-only market. I know this is easier said than done, but they should have started a second Etsy just for vintage... EtsyVintage or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

rabbit_sun
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2008 02:29:35 PM »

Big Cartel seems like it would be really great for selling on. You can create discount codes, there aren't any fees but it is $9.99/month. Right now I just have the free version that doesn't have all the features or allow you to post more than five items but I was thinking about upgrading soon.

www.bigcartel.com

My only issue with Big Cartel is that there is no real search function.  There are three categories: Bands/Music, Apparel, and Specialty.  Basically, if you aren't a band or selling clothing, you are lumped into the specialty category and I don't honestly see people wanting to sort through three hundred assorted shops looking for a ring, etc.

But, I guess this is where self-promotion comes into play.  You can't expect the search feature to draw all of your customers.  Got to get out there and get some yourself.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No alarms and no surprises, please. -Radiohead
ReconstructiveChoice
LGM

Wiggle your big toe.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008 09:50:54 AM »

Tell me about it! I see those threads all the time. I personally think it is ridiculous to be selling vintange items on a supposedly handmade-only market. I know this is easier said than done, but they should have started a second Etsy just for vintage... EtsyVintage or something.

They just modified the search fields so that it defaults to Handmade and you can change the search criteria to search for vintage only.  You're supposed to use tags to differentiate between the two and I hope they'll crack down on those who don't!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2008 08:38:51 AM »

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE vintage stuff and have purchased vintage stuff from Etsy before...
The problem is that Etsy isn't really sweeping the listings like they should. Hopefully the new changes (as ReconstructiveChoic e mentioned) will help with that. Then again this isn't just with the vintage catagory. I one searched for soap and baby outfits popped up because the seller used "soap" as one of their tags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Incredible Hulk
How to Draw Tweety Bird
How to Draw Winnie the Pooh
Learn Classical Composition Through DVD Course
Linear Grayscale Painting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...