A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Burning Man craft-along  (Read 4993 times)
Tags for this thread: burning_man , costume , pasties , wings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 16, 2007 06:06:45 PM »

Almost all of my crafting lately has been for Burning Man. Sewing outfits, making gifts... I thought there might be others working on Burning Man stuff, and I'd love to see what everyone else is crafting.

So far, I've blinged up some sunglasses:

Made some wings:

...that glow in the dark (or blacklight):

And I've made the top part of a shirt, to which I plan to add lots of ruffles to the bottom part so it becomes a long full shirt The front view of it:

And the back:

I want to make some sort of corset top, and bought 15 yards of crinoline to make extra-fluffy petticoat/skirts. I've been collecting notions and trims to use, and I've been LOVING making costumes. Here is some of the stuff I've collected that I hope to use for Burning Man stuff. I appreciate any suggestions on what to with some of the stuff:

And I almost forgot, I knit a few leaves for A Tree Undone art project, a tree full of knitted and crocheted leaves that will be at Burning Man for people to unravel.

So what are you crafting for Burning Man?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007 05:19:52 AM by fairysari » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007 07:52:56 PM »

Yea Burning Man!  I've never been, but I'd love to go!

I love the crocheted/knitted leaf unravel!  What a fun idea!

LEAVE NO TRACE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007 02:20:22 PM »

I haven't been before either. My BF went last year, and he and I are going with a bunch of friends this year. I helped him make outfits last year, so this year I am focusing on making stuff for myself.

Here are some pictures of the stuff we did for last year, that will probably go back again:

(I made the pants, he made the top, and bought the hat) I found another yard of the spaceship/robots fabric the pants are made out of, about three months after. I think I'd like to make myself a matching skirt.

(I made the shorts, he made the poncho thing)

(Bought plain: He did the felt applique on the bottom and back, I did the rest.) He is working on the back side of the coat this year, and has taken out some of the lining. Plans are to quilt around the felt parts.

The costumes I made for last Halloween will probably come too - especially since they are green, and the theme is The Green Man. I posted about them here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=130151.msg1264046#msg1264046

I just bought a bunch of fake hair in pink and blue, so I'm going to try to make some sort of crazy hairpiece. I also have plans to make a night-time jacket in fleece. Haha, I should stop posting, and get crafting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnthespian
R.A.D. not A.D.D.

Distracted by shiny stuff since 1989

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007 11:00:38 PM »

This stuff is really, cool. I so wish i could go, but alas, i'm the poor. Also just one other thing: *points at your names and screams* I LOVE THAT! Would I be totally off if i guessed its from the old rhyme, "One, two, three alary, I spy Mistress Sari, Sitting on a brumbleary, just like a little fairy."? I totally used Mistress Sari as a name on a site for like ever. I'm sorry, that was really off topic but i had too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you're first out at Never Have I Ever, do you really lose the game, or do you just win at life?
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007 01:55:08 PM »

Actually, I have never even heard that rhyme before - but Sari is my given name (and no, it isn't short for Sarah or anything). And I like fairies, and wearing wings, and once I thought of the name for one message board, it stuck and I use it for everything. And I think it helps people pronounce my name better, since it rhymes.

But I would love to find that rhyme somewhere... maybe even do an illuminated manuscript of it to display.

And I am surprised there aren't more Burner Craftsters! I guess miscellaneous craftalongs isn't the most popular category...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinxaroo
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007 08:26:39 PM »

i went last year for the first time, and BM is actually what got me into sewing. i made a few costumes in preparation, and i've been sewing haphazardly ever since!

i have lots of pictures of random things i've made, and i'm making a ton more this summer. i am dragging my boyfriend out with me this year so i'll be costuming for him as well.

i will return to this thread when i have more time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another =P -Madonna
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007 07:28:25 AM »

I have no idea what Burning Man is...other than it looks like fun. Gotta remember we are all ages & all over the world. When I saw the title of the thread I thought maybe it referenced the famous Pink Floyd album cover/ video.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007 08:16:32 AM »

Sorry Penlowe, I guess I should have explained a little better. Burning Man is an art festival that takes place every summer in the Nevada desert. People of all ages, and from all over the world attend. It is a place where freedom of expression is celebrated. Its an experiment in temporary community, with a gift economy. I am probably not doing a great job of explaining, maybe the website will help: http://www.burningman.com/

Jinxaroo: I am excited to see what you've made before, and what you'll be making for this year!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007 11:05:25 AM »

I made some pasties for Burning Man:

Not sure if I'll wear them or give them as gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007 05:14:52 PM »

i just thought of a girl who i will be hanging out with at BM this summer who i bet would LOVE little pasties...  how do you make them again? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Picasa 3: A Photo and Video Editing Freeware
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper - Part 2
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper - 3 of 3
How to Make a Stop Motion Animation with IKITMovie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...